Coyote attack?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Re: Coyote attack?

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Well Dan, you would think being retired LE I would be carrying all the time but no, I don't. When I was employed and off duty I did carry. But now I have moved away from the big Wisconsin metro area to a much quieter, rural location. I own so many pistols and guns I cant even tell you how many. Basically its the extra weight and/or bulkiness on my waist I don't like. After all those years of carrying, it feels nice not to have the weight on my belt or ankle. There may come a time when humans may get me, I realize, but I take my chances.

However, it depends where I'm going and what I'm doing. Baiting for bear, absolutely carry ! (I came face to face with a small bear once when I was going to feed him more cookie dough. Glad I had my G Lock !) . Or for another example, when I was dating/courting my now wife, she used to live near Washington Park in Milw. I definitely carried when I was there !! (Yes, shots would ring out in her neighborhood).

While hunting, of course, I have my weaponry. One thing I always carry with me, even when scouting and marsh busting is a knife. Much lighter. There may come some day when I will need my knife to defend myself. Guess I've been close enough to wild game to know that most of the time, they are more afraid of me than I am of them. Or curious, as I think this yote was.

PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:34 pm

Reminds me of this video. But not as scary. Anyone seen this mountain lion encounter. Pretty sure that cat was looking for a meal...

https://youtu.be/9Pg2CDCm34w
Last edited by PAbowhunter10 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:34 pm

I didn’t think this until now, but I now I almost think it could have been playing/testing. It knew he wasn’t going to get to it through that brush so it wasn’t charging, but baiting him to chase it. I’ve heard they do that to try and lure domestic dogs in to attack them. But I don’t think it was an attack. More of a taunt.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:44 pm

I'm not worried about myself when it comes to coyotes, but I am with my kids in the woods, especially at such a young age. I need to get my concealed but until then I carry a knife just incase I have to defend my kids when I take them out. Had my daughter out beaver trapping yesterday and while I was in the water I had one eye on her and one eye on what I was doing, seemed like it took twice as long. Also think about coyotes with the kids in the yard while playing.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:44 pm

I think if he would have tripped and fell in the brush he might be thinking differently about the situation.. to me that yote was sizing him up the same way they do a wounded deer.

I never carry my pistol in the woods with me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 pm

there was a guy on the Facebook beast page that was in Georgia a couple weeks ago waiting for a friend at a public land parking lot. he walked down by some water on a point and when he turned to walk back there was a coyote sitting in the trail watching him blocking his path. he stomped and yelled and it wouldnt move so he tried walking around it and it ran over and grabbed his leg and he triped and it rippen up his leg pretty good. All he had was a small folding knife and while it was on him he pinned it to the ground and stabbed it in the neck to kill it... It turned out to have rabies. He had a bad reaction to the rabies shots. I tried reaching out to his wife, but got no response as to how he was doing.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:44 am

His was trying to sense a weekness. You weren’t gonna show one. I’ve been charged by 100 of crazy dogs but never a coyote. Cool encounter
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:49 am

Thats a crazy encounter. With all the coyotes out there you would think this would happen more. Glad to see it ended for the good.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:31 am

Interesting encounter for sure, one of the more aggressive dogs that I've ever seen.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:34 am

strutnrut716 wrote:Well Dan, you would think being retired LE I would be carrying all the time but no, I don't. When I was employed and off duty I did carry. But now I have moved away from the big Wisconsin metro area to a much quieter, rural location. I own so many pistols and guns I cant even tell you how many. Basically its the extra weight and/or bulkiness on my waist I don't like. After all those years of carrying, it feels nice not to have the weight on my belt or ankle. There may come a time when humans may get me, I realize, but I take my chances.

However, it depends where I'm going and what I'm doing. Baiting for bear, absolutely carry ! (I came face to face with a small bear once when I was going to feed him more cookie dough. Glad I had my G Lock !) . Or for another example, when I was dating/courting my now wife, she used to live near Washington Park in Milw. I definitely carried when I was there !! (Yes, shots would ring out in her neighborhood).

While hunting, of course, I have my weaponry. One thing I always carry with me, even when scouting and marsh busting is a knife. Much lighter. There may come some day when I will need my knife to defend myself. Guess I've been close enough to wild game to know that most of the time, they are more afraid of me than I am of them. Or curious, as I think this yote was.

I get that... I sometimes think I would rather deal with what happens to me, than dealing with having to use deadly force.. The main reason I carry everywhere is that I would have a hard time living with my wife or a family member facing a lethal threat and not being able to defend them... to each their own. A lot of people don't realize the respondability that comes witj concealed carry and tje consequences of use of deadly force. I do, and can certainly understand not choosing to carry
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:26 am

That coyote was definitely, eyeing him up trying to get you to turn and run so it could attack. Cool experience that's for sure, I usually conceal carry anytime that we go into town or travel if legal in all the states. But in the woods I never carry, but seeing that video makes me think maybe I should start.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 am

This time of year in my area is when yotes “din/mate up” and get territorial to the point you can call them in from FAR away with yelps, howls and ki-yi s...but since it rabid that could be the explanation...praying for the guy keep us posted dan
NEMAD

Unread postby NEMAD » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 am

Only time I carry a firearm on my person in the woods anymore is if I'm rifle hunting or anticipate encountering other people - in town I always have it where permitted.
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be."
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 pm

That coyote seemed like it wanted to play. I wouldn’t have taken that as well as the young man in the video. I always carry while bow hunting or scouting. Occasionally I carry for work in rougher areas of town, it just gets comfortable. I hunt in areas with wolves and bears. Wolves are killers. I encounter them nearly every year, I feel better carrying.
Persistence is undefeated.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu May 27, 2021 8:50 am

That's a great video, and good questions to ponder. I'm glad that encounter turned out okay for Jared, but I wouldn't have been as glad as Jared to have that encounter.

I 100% carry in the woods, and won't even consider going into the woods without a gun. I'm more afraid of the abandoned pit bull(s) than I am of coyotes, though I've had to pop off a few shots at a pack of three coyotes that wanted to inquire about my Scottish Terrier. Don't think I hit them, but they were no longer inquiring. That encounter also taught me to never forget to leave the safety on after chambering a round. Have one in the chamber and take the safety off! I'm also concerned about pot growers and druggies camping out in the woods too but haven't had any encounters luckily.

Almost 100% of the time, I have a gun in my car. When walking in public by myself, I generally don't carry since I figure I have pretty good chance of running for it - a chance I'm willing to take. That is unless I'm in a sketchy part of town, or I'm doing a late night run to gas up the car. However, if I'm with my son or wife, I will absolutely carry. It's a big responsibility and hope to never have to use it.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”