Calling Coyotes

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Calling Coyotes

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 am

im having trouble getting a coyote..there damn smart! im getting coyotes on camera, the farmers are seeing them, but yet everytime i go out during a full moon and call, nothing..i feel like im doing something wrong and i cant figure it out..i basically set up, start by using a rodent distress for about 1 min, then stop for about 30 sec. and start a rabbit distress for about another min...wait a little bit and try some howls and repeat..what are some of your calling techniques that haved worked for you?

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Calling Coyotes

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:36 am

the little experience I have is in calling one type of call for 30secs-1min. On my electronic call I just let the cottontail in distress run out about 30-45seconds then just sit and wait. If nothing happens for about 5-10mins I hit it again. Usually call about 3-4times in 20-30mins then move on. Call with the wind at your face and ideally an obstacle behind you so they can't circle downwind.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:41 am

I hate coyotes. Just my .02 cents :D
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:07 pm

I generally come home from coyote hunting feeling like a complete moron :lol: Hunting them can sure be humbling. Im not very good at it for sure,i usually call in a couple a year and kill them. I have a fox pro call and i usually try and set up in a crosswind situation. I start with territorial howls first maybe three or four cadences. then i do a short burst of yips and barks,then silence for a good minute or so. then i go into distress call for a solid 5 min. if nothing comes in i go to some more yips then pup in distress for a short time. The ones i have shot have come in by then. Usually though after the pup in distress i sit there and freeze trying random #$X@ a friend of mine kills quite a few each year and rarely uses distress,mostly all howls
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 pm

I try to have a wide open field downwind and let them circle down wind and shoot them when they do... I have had some luck with two people, one hunter and onme caller. Hunter being about 100 yards downwind. I have also had good luck hunting from a mobile treestand and getting elevated.
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:21 am

I gave up on night time hunting, they seem to respond alot better at first daylight. The best set-up that I can suggest is a wide open field like dan said and patience is a absolute MUST. Almost forgot, I never leave my .223 at home ;)
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:22 pm

over in hill country they tend to be out all times of the day theres less populations of people so there not nocternal like around here, one thing thats works for me is getting on the down wind side of a feild, when they come in you only have a little window to make the shot before they wind you, ive personaly obvserd coyotes traving almost like a wind tunnel or were the wind meet at that spot, using just my sqweeker at first for five minutes or so if they dont show ill kick it up a nocht and use my midtone/rang rabbit call and then then if its windy ill use my long rang call. anthoner tactic i use in hill country is getting in low spots in feilds were the rigde buts up aginst the egde so the coyote can down wind you, around here its perty flat with lots of woods and swamps so calling is quit simple, one problem around here is there nocternal so night hunting is a must and only. perferably on snowy weather nights so you can see or full moon nights . ive also found that just before a snow storm and just after, weather fronts are big when hutning coyotes just like any animal or fish! . any trappers on here will know that just after a freash snow fall is the best time to look for tracks
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:35 am

I have heard multiple reasons why WI yotes are not call friendly. Too much available food, to thick of cover, and the best one is that WI yotes are just smart. Well I tend to think that all of the above may have some truths. I used to live in central WI, and have shot and missed my fair share of yotes bowhunting. With all the dogs I saw and heard nightly. I thought that doing some hunting for them would be a ball. My Dad has a 22-250, I bought some mouth calls and howls. Wathched some videos (none that were on location in WI) and thought this is easy. Well in about 20 sits last year not one dog called. So yes its humbling, frustrating, tiring in the deep snow. I may go to a road kill bait this year. I know people around were I live now will do 50 man drives through timber and marsh to kick them out or use dogs. What ever works.. Those videos look like so much fun...
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:04 am

I do not coyote hunt only because there arent very many in my area... but I do hunt red and gray foxes and 2 things I see wrong with you setup (if it were me) is I never call on a full moon. A full moon allows them to see much better, I prefer NO moon.... VERY cold night (they have to eat), and I use decoys and distress calls.

If you in an area that has yotes at night I would try no moon, wait until a very cold night with no wind so you can hear and they cant smell u as fast... then play wounded rabbit calls while sitting 50 yards downwind.... then if he comes within 100-125 you should have a shot.

If not action in 20-30 minutes TOPS, Im outta there and relocating. It may take 5 or 10 sits to get on some dogs... you need to be mobile like a beast and much like turkey hunting.

Again, I dont hunt yotes.... but Ive killed my fair share of red and gray foxes calling them to my lap.

I do not see any point in using actual coyote calls? they are pack animals and you would be an intruder whom they may not want to mess with... I would use nothing but wounded animal calls to key in on the yotes hungry bellies. I no on TV they do that... but it makes no sense to me. Hunting predetors is the same wether its a yote bobcat fox or monster. If you sound like a wounded animal ( and by all means play that call LOUD and LONGER than 1 minute) something will come looking.

FoxPro or any cheaper call and a RED spotlight are a must! I couldnt kill them without those....
You can't kill em on the couch
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:04 pm

I hit my can call 8-10 times - seems the coyotes like venison too ;) (3-to date so far using this method)

I've even had bear come into the can also... Doesn't seem to work very well for the intended prey thou (big bucks)

This pic was while snowmobiling thru Northern Aroostook county in Northern Maine - near the Allagash
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:53 pm

I have done the same thing with the can. One started howling pretty close too me and I hit the can about 4-6 times and he come out of nowhere quick. And I grabbed my bow and missed him at 30yds. I have also had them come in when I hit my grunt call a few times.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:I hit my can call 8-10 times - seems the coyotes like venison too ;) (3-to date so far using this method)

I've even had bear come into the can also... Doesn't seem to work very well for the intended prey thou (big bucks)

This pic was while snowmobiling thru Northern Aroostook county in Northern Maine - near the Allagash

Those are some heffers!

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”