Would you Report Illegal Wolf Kills?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you report someone you know illegally killed a wolf?

No
28%
Yes
16%
Unsure
8%
I didn't see a thing
14%
What Wolf?
34%

Total votes: 50
Zap

Re: Would you Report Illegal Wolf Kills?

Unread postby Zap » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 am

Honesty is the best policy. :mrgreen:

I honestly think that the feds have no right to impose their will on states on the matter of reintroduction/management of this type of predator.

In the good old days folks exterminated them for a reason.
Tree hugger insight has brought them back.
We were doing fine without them.

Wolves once inhabited Washington DC and New York City......maybe they need to be reintroduced there.

So my answer is "What wolf?".

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 am

Zap wrote:...Wolves once inhabited Washington DC and New York City......maybe they need to be reintroduced there...

The white house is crawling with them and they are very effectively devouring America. ;)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:09 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
ozzz wrote:SSS

Shoot Shovel Shut Up

True that Brother 8-)

X2 :twisted:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Mike.E wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:Have seen many wolves over the years, like any renewable resource they should be managed and in huntable numbers, killed. A pack of wolves will do the best deer drive you will ever witness, they are very efficient and deadly.
Know for certain that I killed 2 bucks that were driven by a pack of wolves, when I hear a pack communicating while on a hunt, I'm headed for them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I can only assume they are good at it. How do you plan your hunt when you suspect a wolf drive is occurring? Or do the 2 bucks you shot just happened to cross your path as the wolves were in motion? It would be nice to know how the deer react to the drives and make a plan for when it happens.

Both bucks were similiar circumstances, being driven by wolves. Both times I was still hunting, one buck was moving through a old beaver pond that had grown over, buck holed up in small clump of brush and let 2 wolves pass by, when he tried to double back, I was waiting for him. Second one was working a hillside still hunting, watching the opposite hillside, buck came over the top moving fast, went through the bottom and up the side I was on, he stopped and looked at his backtrail, shot and he dropped. After the shot caught some movement on the hillside he came from, spotted a wolf just standing there, split second later he was gone.

From what I've witnessed they will birddog a area moving back and forth, until a wolf moves a deer, they have a yip when they are running deer, the other wolves try to out flank the deer and drive them to the center, narrowing the path of the deer, if they can move the deer into the open, a pack will keep cutting the deer off into smaller area, then move in for the kill.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Tadmdad wrote:From what I've witnessed they will birddog a area moving back and forth, until a wolf moves a deer, they have a yip when they are running deer, the other wolves try to out flank the deer and drive them to the center, narrowing the path of the deer, if they can move the deer into the open, a pack will keep cutting the deer off into smaller area, then move in for the kill.

It's interesting to follow them on the snow. They will run single file then all of a sudden they will fan out and weave in and out. They basically make drives to other pack members. I'm sure they confuse their prey and force them to run into other pack members. They are very good at what they do!
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:05 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:From what I've witnessed they will birddog a area moving back and forth, until a wolf moves a deer, they have a yip when they are running deer, the other wolves try to out flank the deer and drive them to the center, narrowing the path of the deer, if they can move the deer into the open, a pack will keep cutting the deer off into smaller area, then move in for the kill.

It's interesting to follow them on the snow. They will run single file then all of a sudden they will fan out and weave in and out. They basically make drives to other pack members. I'm sure they confuse their prey and force them to run into other pack members. They are very good at what they do!

Agreed they are fun to follow and try to understand how a pack hunts. They will get the deer on the move with their tactics, seems that they will narrow down to one deer, while other deer go out the side or backdoor. Have always been curious how they choose a single deer to target and why.

Magic....have you noticed in the last couple years, with the high numbers of wolves, that they have been hunting more during daylight? Had a couple bigs packs in our area last year, they were, covering large areas during daylight. Also seen they were digging for mice, they must be hungry, even had a pack come into camp one night at 3 am, only assume they could smell the buckpole, first time that has happened.

nmueller1717

Unread postby nmueller1717 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:28 am

ozzz wrote:SSS

Shoot Shovel Shut Up

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”