Would you Report Illegal Wolf Kills?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you report someone you know illegally killed a wolf?

No
28%
Yes
16%
Unsure
8%
I didn't see a thing
14%
What Wolf?
34%

Total votes: 50
Carol
Site Admin

Would you Report Illegal Wolf Kills?

Unread postby Carol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Illegal Wolf Killings Investigated

Lansing (WWJ) -- Federal agents are investigating a recent rash of illegal wolf killings across northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) asked for the public's help in finding suspects in 16 wolf killings across the three states in November and December.

Six wolves were killed in the U.P., eight in Wisconsin and two in Minnesota. Wolf populations have rebounded over the last 30 years, but the gray wolf remains under protection of the federal Endangered Species Act.

According to the Michigan DNR, in a period of just 20 years, the number of wolves in Michigan has increased from one pair to nearly 580 wolves. For the past 12 years, the wolf population has increased every year. They are approaching three times the minimum population that biologists consider to be viable in this state.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Would you Report Illegal Wolf Kills?

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 am

Wolf? What wolf?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:53 am

Wonder how much more money they spent to investigate16 wolves. I think this is rediculous behavior. I could see if they were on ths verge of extinction and some ring was killing them. But there is admittedly too dang many. Just like the moronic Beauracrats that get paid to make stupid unaccountable decisions for 30 yrs and then retire with a pension. I vote no. But i would turn someone in for killing 6 Kirtland warblers

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:06 am

U.P. MAN wrote:Wolf? What wolf?

X2!! Only good wolf is a dead wolf imo. :twisted: The locals have been and will continue to shoot, shovel and shut up!! :D Too dang many wolves around!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:39 am

Would not say a word.

Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:07 am

WOuldnt say a thing. We have land in Douglas Co, WI roughly 2 miles from MN, and it's very bad up there. I have yet to see a wolf, but hear them daily practically. They are smart animals that's for sure, i've heard them put on their own deer drives. Too bad i forgot to put in for my wolf tag this year hahaha yea right..
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 am

After the carnage I witnessed yesterday morning by coyotes, no way would I report a wolf kill!!!!!!!!!!

Obsession Bows
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:36 am

Glad I don't have to make the decision.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 am

I am all for legally killing wolves if you have a permit but don't agree with killing them illegally.

It's not worth it to me to risk fines and loss of hunting privelages.

I don't have any respect for people that knowingly break game laws and think it's no different than the guy that kills deer out of season because he thinks there are way too many deer around anyway.

Looks like I am at a minority here but this is how I feel. Sorry if it is not a popular answer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:00 am

SSS

Shoot Shovel Shut Up
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 am

Dewey wrote:I am all for legally killing wolves if you have a permit but don't agree with killing them illegally.

It's not worth it to me to risk fines and loss of hunting privelages.

I don't have any respect for people that knowingly break game laws and think it's no different than the guy that kills deer out of season because he thinks there are way too many deer around anyway.

Looks like I am at a minority here but this is how I feel. Sorry if it is not a popular answer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree with you Dewey, but at the same time I'm not going to lose any sleep over it considering the anti hunters keep stopping the DNR from doing their job. If I felt a wolf was a threat/problem and someone shot it illegally I would probably look the other way, but if it was poachers hunting for profit I would turn them in.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 am

ozzz wrote:SSS

Shoot Shovel Shut Up

True that Brother 8-)
Obsession Bows
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am

Mike.E wrote:WOuldnt say a thing. We have land in Douglas Co, WI roughly 2 miles from MN, and it's very bad up there. I have yet to see a wolf, but hear them daily practically. They are smart animals that's for sure, i've heard them put on their own deer drives. Too bad i forgot to put in for my wolf tag this year hahaha yea right..

Have seen many wolves over the years, like any renewable resource they should be managed and in huntable numbers, killed. A pack of wolves will do the best deer drive you will ever witness, they are very efficient and deadly.
Know for certain that I killed 2 bucks that were driven by a pack of wolves, when I hear a pack communicating while on a hunt, I'm headed for them.

Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:12 am

Tadmdad wrote:Have seen many wolves over the years, like any renewable resource they should be managed and in huntable numbers, killed. A pack of wolves will do the best deer drive you will ever witness, they are very efficient and deadly.
Know for certain that I killed 2 bucks that were driven by a pack of wolves, when I hear a pack communicating while on a hunt, I'm headed for them.

I can only assume they are good at it. How do you plan your hunt when you suspect a wolf drive is occurring? Or do the 2 bucks you shot just happened to cross your path as the wolves were in motion? It would be nice to know how the deer react to the drives and make a plan for when it happens.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:31 am

The wolves make some pretty amazing drives, they are lethal. I have heard stories about them pushing deer out onto frozen lakes while their friends lay in the snow. If the lake has little snow or ice the deer are toast, its also bad when there is a crust on the snow. The deer break through and wolves paws often don't so it can turn into a slaughter. Also lots of stories of wolves trapping deer by snowmobile trails. Basically once they get a deer in position the wolves will patrol the packed trails and push the deer back and forth until they are exhausted, then its an easy kill.

Even a single wolf is a pretty good killing machine, younger bucks and does and of course fawns are all usually the prey. They have the strength to snap their necks and game over.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”