Knight & Hale Predator 1 call

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Knight & Hale Predator 1 call

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 am

Anyone use this Predator 1 call? I picked one up last week and I believe I'm going to try it out today. I'm sure most reed calls are the same, and it's mostly what's on the coyotes menu for that day. But, have you used one of these calls and what calling tactics do you use (ie calling techniques with pitches and sequence)

Uncle Lou

Re: Knight & Hale Predator 1 call

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I dont think I am a very good caller. I have a mini CD that I got with one of my calls and play it occasionally to brush up. Lately I have been just throwing a couple barks, sit for a short while and move a bit and try again. At the end of MZ season I got a reponse but no show.

Now I am in BEAST mode on a coyote up the road, been trying him near his bed. After a few light snows I figured out where he is hanging. Thinking about starting a bait station (dont know if that is beastly though). I just want to shoot him. A neighbor is trying to convince me to set a trap, don't know if I want to learn that game.

I know I went off topic in the second paragraph, but I think the mistake a lot of callers make is go in a spot blind and start calling. I think it is less about calling, cadence, and pitch, and more about scouting and set up. I am trying to learn from my own lack of success and my reading of Predator Extreme.

I am really trying to not rely on my calling which I think is my weakness.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm not sure what that is for a call... Is it for making howls or distress calls?

I'm by no means anymore than a novice... I just started getting into it at the end of last winter, but one thing that I've picked up on is I think howling or a combination of howling and distress is more productive than just using distress...

I picked up on this by watching videos with Randy Anderson and through my own experience found it to be true so far...

This last winter I used nothing but distress calls because I lacked confidence in my howls, there not super easy to make... I went out and called several times last spring with zero success... Then near the end of the summer after I had practiced my howls I went out and started each sequence with a howl or 2 then a distress and I called in a coyote 2 different occasions

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Interesting Hunter 74. I have an instructional CD by Randy Anderson. I have played it a few times. I will have to check that. I would think howls would work better for evening or night hunt, but am no expert. I have practiced my howling a bit, maybe time to try it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I'd give the howls a shot Lou... The idea behind it makes sense and it seems to work, though my experience is limited and it could of been luck...

Also if your not confident with making howls I would try a couple different ones out... For some reason some seem to be easier to make a good howl and consistently make a good howl with...

I just picked one up that is definately my favorite so far. It's made by Mossback call's, its a double reed howler and I think it sounds awesome as well as seems to be easier and more consistent to use than my others

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”