Effective in season scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

Effective in season scouting

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:04 am

We all scout. What do you look for? How do you scout? Scouting is only useful if you know what to look for and how to use that info. Tell us your technique. Let's limit this topic to in season scouting.

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Effective in season scouting

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:13 am

In the big woods I use a scouting tactic for the rut. I put on the miles looking for fresh rut sign. When I say fresh I mean less then 1 day old. Sometimes I am even lucky enough to spot bucks this way. These deer can travel miles looking for a hot doe and at the begining or end of the rut there could be a bunch of bucks after 1 doe. If I find hot sign I set up right away if poss. And will hunt it for a day or 2 at most. After that the bucks are gone looking for another doe. I have to stress that the sign must be fresh. Otherwise I'm just hunting behind the action. Usually the doe will run into some thick stuff and circle around until she's ready to breed. Look for the thick areas near the hot sign and set up. Don't be afraid to call! Don't let the time of day or the fact that you just walked thru the area deter you. Tell tale signs are : hard running tracks on the same trail. rubs and scrapes suddenly blow up all over. Stick your nose down in those rubs. If they have a strong odor they are fresh. You might even find fight scenes. They are easy to spot because the ground is so tore up.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Effective in season scouting

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:54 am

Great info, Magic. Goes to show when you find that fresh sign, set up and HUNT! No stand or sight cool down period, the clock is ticking. Being a procrastinator, I used to love that "cool down" idea. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”