How much land do you hunt?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
3dog

How much land do you hunt?

Unread postby 3dog » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Just for kicks and giggles, I added up all the acerage/properties I hunted last year. Came up with just shy of 1,300 acres spread over 15 properties. That's just considering the areas I hunted, some of the public tracts were much larger but I only hunted a small portion of them. Wondering how much ground the other public pounders set foot on?

Also, what's the preference on tract size? Do most like to hunt 1,000 plus acre tracts or shoot for something a little smaller?

Lets hear your thoughts :!:

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: How much land do you hunt?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:13 pm

3dog wrote:Wondering how much ground the other public pounders set foot on?

Also, what's the preference on tract size? Do most like to hunt 1,000 plus acre tracts or shoot for something a little smaller.

It's hard to answer these questions. I cover as much ground as I can. there has always been more land then I am able to cover. Some areas I do a quick pass thru. Some I spend more time. Things change from year to year. It seems lately everytime I find a good buck there is no sign of him the next season so it's start over time again. I don't care what size the piece is, it's what I find on that piece that matters to me.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 pm

I can't stand having other hunters around me, and on high pressure public land its tough to get away from them. In bow season I spend quite a bit of time in smaller public tracts, but in gun season these areas have no escape- you will be watched by a scope or three no matter where you go. In gun season I flee to larger tracts, over 1,000 acres, and the bucks and I hide out in hellish cover for the remainder that others feel is too costly to penetrate.

I greatly prefer the larger tracts.
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:27 pm

I enjoy larger public areas. One of my favorite areas is in Jackson County. It's huge. Plenty of area and plenty of places to get away from the masses. I know it's not known for big bucks, but they're in there. I know they are, I missed one with my gun this past year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:32 pm

It would take me a week to calculate the acreage 3Dog :lol: Between my home turf, your area, Minesota, Illinois, northern Wisc... Jeese. I hate math.

I hunt all sizes of public... But prefer the ones where the ain't a fence for quite a distance. Big land seems easier to figure out cause you can scout just about every where the buck goes and put the puzzle pieces together.
On small properties a lot of the time your left guessing what the buck is doing off the property. Your just left with what he is doing when he is in the spot where you can access.
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:33 pm

In Arkansas, we are blessed with a lot of public land. The closest tract is 16,000 acres, with many thousands more within and hour's drive, and hundreds of thousands more within 2 hours. I'm super busy with school right now-- I can't wait to have some more time to figure out some more spots.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:32 am

Interesting thoughts, seems like I differ from most because I'm leaning towards the smaller tracts, even as little as 10 acres. A couple reasons, smaller usually means people don't want to mess with it so pressure is usually non-existant. Smaller tacts are easier to figure out. They either have "it" or they don't. If they are holding critters of choice, the spot or spots to hunt from are also easy to figure. And, I hate to admit this, but big tracts equal big effort. It's one thing to pack 40 lbs of gear in a few hundred yards and entirely another to pack in the same gear a mile or better. Don't get me wrong, I've had good luck hunting way back but I'm finding there's just as much productive property in half the distance.
badfaulkner

Unread postby badfaulkner » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:13 am

I regularly hunt a small section of swampy drains and hummocks in between pines and cutovers that probably is only about 300 acres. You can drive yourself crazy trying to hunt everywhere. If you believe in a place, you need to hunt it consistently to have any kind of success.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:13 am

Lots!!! :lol: I'm not good at guesstimating! :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 am

Very interesting, 3dog. I'd be interested in hearing more about your spots, are there a lot of them where you hunt / any pressure at all / what you believe the keys are for such a spot. 8-)
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:59 pm

I have access to 45,000 or so acres on a public military base. I generally focus on 4,000-5,000 acres each year during hunting season. I will be focusing on 3 main areas this year for a total of about 3,000 acres or so.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:07 am

I would have to agree with Dan & Scott. The more area the better for me. I don't like boundaries. I need to roam and find the bucks that no one else is hunting and hunt him on my own terms. Nothing sucks worse than finding a good buck and getting him figured out then having some knucklehead come in and ruin the set-up or turn him nocturnal. I gotta have plenty of room and plenty of options. Mathematically - more land equates to more chances of a good buck hiding in there somewhere. Find them & hunt them now.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”