Buck personalities

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Buck personalities

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:57 pm

In another post, everyone was talking about how different bucks react different to scent. Here is a trail-cam video that i posted on BBO one time. Dan pointed out how the first buck smelled where i left scent and took off. Then the second buck smelled it and did not care....

Just thought this would be a good example to show...
Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6uecCkc-dw

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Buck personalities

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Kind of a "curiosity" versus "I'm outta here!!" reaction. Cool clip, PTC.

Years ago during gun deer season, I swamped my boots with water and they were going to need some serious drying out time. The next morning they were still pretty damp, so I grabbed my brothers hunting boots out of his room at our cabin and hit the woods... that's what brother's are for, right? My brother returned from work that evening, very pleased that I had helped myself to his hunting gear. The next morning he penetrated deep swamp to get to his blind, with about an inch of fresh snow on the ground. He hadn't sat there long when he heard a noise behind him, turned and here came a big buck tracking him in the snow, nose to the ground. The buck saw him immediately, and while my brother raised his gun he exploded into heavy swamp. My brother, a crack whitetail shot, managed to blow some fur off of him. Later, while backtracking the buck in the snow, the big fella's tracks followed my brother's boot tracks for several hundred yards through the swamp.

That night my brother ranted and raved that I had put some damn buck lure on his boots the day before, and that under no uncertain terms was I to use his gear again. :mrgreen: He is still convinced that is what happened. In reality, I believe that buck was shocked that a human had penetrated his security zone- an area that took incredible effort to get into. That buck was curious as to what the crazed human was doing and where he was going, and trailed my brother for quite some distance. 8-)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 am

Wow!! Very interesting bridge! Thanks for sharing! 8-)
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:55 am

I agree with SB, it's very common for a buck to track human scent. The clip below is from last year, this buck tracked me directly to my camera about 4 hours after I hung it
Image (wish I could get the clip to play?)

I've also heard the indians used to kill big bucks by walking thru bedding areas and then ambush the buck scent trailing them.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:23 am

3dog wrote:I've also heard the indians used to kill big bucks by walking thru bedding areas and then ambush the buck scent trailing them.

This is a very interesting idea. I wonder if this would take a very un pressured bedding area that is not pestered by humans too much. Or might the buck have to be rutting slightly?
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:32 am

What if, during the guns season, i were to experiment. Wlak through a bunch of bedding areas and then set up. If you walk with the wind in your face, the buck will feel safe doing the same. Then just before you set up take a sharp turn so that your actual scent stream is blowing along side from where the buck is coming from. Hope that makes sense.

I dont know if this sounds crazy, but has anyone ever tried it?

I would be interested in trying it. Im always open to new ideas 8-)
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 am

In 2008 I had a buck cut my tracks in the snow and then track me for about 80 yards before turning off. Last year on the last day of the season, I had a group of does track me to within 40 yards of my stand where I was able to shoot one of them. They were very jumpy coming in, flinching every time the ice would pop or a tree would creak. But they kept on coming in. Both areas mentioned receive extremely heavy hunting pressure.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:53 am

I have had one circle around and go right down my tracks while I was tracking him. I think he was trying to mix up the scent and throw me off.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:17 am

magicman54494 wrote:I have had one circle around and go right down my tracks while I was tracking him. I think he was trying to mix up the scent and throw me off.

While tracking in the snow, I have had deer figure eight me, and wind up walking on my footsteps of me tracking him. Who was tracking who? And this has happened to me a few times, especially if you follow them long enough.

And yes, I'm a firm believer that deer are like people in the sense that no two are alike in thier personalities. And how they look.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 am

I have noticed that they like to travel with the wind to there nose when they know they are being followed but I have had quite a few go across an opening and when I get to the other side find the track doing a wide circle to a spot where the buck bedded watching me track him past his location giving him the perfect escape rought and plenty of time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:18 pm

besides scent I often wondered about personality and survival rates. Bucks that are naturally more shy, jittery, or on edge might have an edge to get thru that first season and learn to avoid danger. Then later in life these personality traits coupled with experience can make them almost impossible to kill. Also what about bucks who have a lower sex drive. They aren't as easy to kill during the rut and this could allow them to grow older as well.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:26 pm

I thought this subject was pretty interesting.This sort of thing happened to me this spring .I cut a fresh ,huge track ,and tried follwing it .He kept circling back on me ,it was pretty crazy .I finally lost him in the high cattails.I had my tracking on in my GPS and was pretty excited to go home and upload our tracks.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:07 am

Now if you would have had one person to post that woulda worked awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:45 am

The buck pictured above is quite a character. He has been seen by many and shows up in strange places. Last october my neighbor saw him walk up my driveway at midday. My vehicle was not there so he apparently took his time sniffing all around my camp.

During gun season another neighbor spotted him CRAWLING along a drainage. After watching him enter a ten acre patch of young pines the neighbor assembled twelve other hunters to push him out. They drove that little patch four times and still were not able to get him out. As far as I know he is still alive.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Thats very interesting DABOWHUNTER.... It seems like some bucks watch us more than we watch them

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”