Voting thread for pics & stories (Update)

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Voting thread for pics & stories (Update)

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed May 19, 2010 12:15 am

For Magicman:

I want to start out by thanking Ben (Goober) and his Mom and Dad for inviting me to hunt and letting me park my camper at their place. Ben hunted hard to get me on birds. Ben really knows his turkey hunting and I learned a lot.

Our first day out we hit several spots before we hit pay dirt. We were approaching an open meadow on a woods trail and Ben thought it would be a good idea to set up and call before entering the field. We setup on the “stump chair” and set out a hen decoy. Before we were set up a turkey gobbled from the field. We hurried to get set and Ben started calling. A while later 3 jakes came down the trail. They froze up after they saw the decoy. Ben told me they were within range and I could shoot as soon as they split apart. After a few tense moments they turned to leave and split apart. The shotgun barked and the rest is history. My first turkey. A jake but I was as pumped as if I just killed a trophy buck. We paced the shot off at 50 yds. Ben videoed but was in a bad position to get good footage. I will try to get it on line if anyone wants to see it.

Ben suggested that I get another tag and try again. We did some trout fishing and registered the bird and picked up another tag.
Thursday didn’t go quite as well. Ben’s alternator went out so we headed home and switched gear to my truck.

We didn’t have a lot of luck with the turkeys. Hard rain from the night before ruined any chance to fish trout.

Friday Ben started the morning with his bow and I switched to cameraman. He called a hen and she came in from behide and gave us quite a surprise. Later we checked out another spot and I was back behind the shotgun. We came close on one tom and watched a flock for a while but couldn’t get them to respond to calling.
Ben had to take care of some business so I hunted by myself the rest of the day. I hunted a meadow on top of a bluff. I spotted a tom strutting on the ridge top. He was with a jake and a hen. As soon as they dropped over the back side of the ridge I backed into the woods and moved in on them. I belly crawled to a deer hunting ground blind on the ridge top and peeked over the other side. The birds had moved out of sight so I put up my camo netting and got set up. They came back out and moved around the field for 4 hours. This turkey hunting is a roller coaster of emotions. Here they come, there they go, will I ever get a shot? Just about the time I thought it was going to happen they would turn and go the other way. After a while I learned to just relax and enjoy the show. After 4 hours of this they finally headed my way. They got out in front of me and the hen turned to go back. They were a ways out there but I knew it was now or never. I poked the barrel out of the netting and pulled the trigger. He dropped right there. I paced it off at 57 yds. He had a 10” beard, 7/8” spurs and weighed 21 pounds. I got a lot of footage but couldn’t get the shot on film.

One night Ben made us a meal of grilled wild pig, morel mushrooms (we found about 5 pounds), and soup with morel pieces. Saturday night we had deep fried turkey and trout for supper.

Ben just started trout fishing and I think it’s safe to say he’s hooked.
Trout fishing commando style

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Wed May 19, 2010 5:45 am

Nice!

Only items missin is mushrooms and cold beverage!

Good job!....
RJR-007
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Wed May 19, 2010 9:24 am

Awesome magic :) :)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon May 24, 2010 5:38 am

I killed the Boss!

With these later spring seasons in WI, you find the alarm clock screaming awfully early in the morning! 3:00am and I hit the snooze, just a few more minutes is all I need. Well, finally I force myself out of bed. It was Thursday May 20th the last week of the WI Spring Turkey seasons. I begin the 25 min ride to my spot. The plan is to set up a Pretty Boy and hen Deke for the first hour or so. After setting up, I gave 2 owl hoots, to see if there are any Tom's near by. No response, this area has seen it's share of pressure, four Toms have been taken off the surrounding 160 acres, including my second season tom. With no action after the first hour, I decide to move out and see if I can locate a Tom on some of my other nearby properties. After driving down a farm lane to inspect some back fields, I spy 4 Toms strutting for some hens. It's about 6:30 and I got an hour before I need to pack up and get to work. They are out in the open on the north end of a 120 acre parcel. they are feeding in the center right in the edge of some winter wheat and plowing. There is a small section of woods all along the east edge of the field, enough cover for me to sneak along and get at least even with them in the field. These fields have some rolling hils with minor elevation changes of about 10 to 15 feet. So Now, I am what I think is even with where I last saw the birds, but from where I am I can not see anything. Then I catch movement to my left out about 120 yards, they had moved south from the way I had just come. There is a small hill between us, so I back off and head back to get even with them. Once there, I give a few hen yelps, nothing. At this point I don't know exactly where they are, I can't see with the hill between us. So I wait along the woods edge hoping the will work their way towards cover. Well after waiting 10 minutes with no action, I asked myself what would a Hunting Beast do in this situation? So, I think of the article I just read a couple days ago, titled "Staring an obsession in the eyes", on how Dan sneaks up on a bedded buck, belly crawling through icy cold water. I figure since I don't have to belly crawl through water, only plowing, I could probably at least give my self a chance at one of these Toms. So with the hill and about 120 yards of plowing between us, I hunch down for the first 30 yards, then get down to my belly to finsh the next 50 yards, and crest the hill. I could see the tops of ther fans about 70 yards away. There are 4 hens leading a group of 4 toms, all strutting, but 3 Toms are lagging behind. One tom in particular stayed close to the hens and anytime one of the other 3 got close to "his" girls he would spur them with his legs, or wing beat them. His head was almost pure white with just a little blue and red. That's when I gave him his short lived nickname the "Boss". They weren't really coming any closer, so I decided to give a few yelps with my diaghaphram call. This must of got one of the hens mad, because she started talking back to me. I just remaind quite, and she began to make her way alongside the hill to my left. Of course the "Boss" was right behind her, after about 5 minutes theyhe got to about 25 yards, I let him have it, down he went! He was a very nice bird, he had an 11" beard, 1 3/8" spurs and weghed 24#! This had taken longer than the hour I had, so I was going to be late for work now. When I called my supervisor to tell her I was going to be late, because I just shot the "Boss", the phone line went silent, she didn't know what to say. I work as an X-Ray tech, I am one of 3 males out of about 30 techs, and the only one that hunts. They all know about my passion for hunting, so my supervisor was relieved when I explained to her that the boss was actually a turkey, she was more than happy to let me take an some extra time to get to work!Image
10point

Unread postby 10point » Tue May 25, 2010 10:04 am

Heres my shot at the turkey contest... Sunday, May 2 the alarm goes off at 4:30am...Its crunch time. My last day of the season and still no bird. I was willing to go all day if I had to. 5:45 I found myself inside my Ameristep blind staring into the dark sky. Anticipation was high as the sun started to peak over the horizon.... Standard procedure for the gobblers was to be in the pines to my north...unfortunatly a few gobbles at sunrise told me they were 1/4 mile to the east.... I was in for the long haul. Fast forward through 2 cans of pop, 1 apple, 1 candy bar, and a small bag of trail mix, its now 4:40pm.... and the fun is about to begin. Click on the link and jump to 8:30 on the video to see how the hunt comes together :D :D Enjoy

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery ... -show.html

chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 am

This year I had 5th and 6th seasons for zone 2. 5th season I was on birds everyday, but just couldn't get it done, They would hang up everytime I got them to come in, the closet tom came in at 55 yds. I was going out before work and after work everyday, I was getting pretty frustrated because after 3 seasons of turkey hunting under my belt it wasn't looking good to get my first bird....I ended the 5th season without putting my tag on a bird......The 6th season started Wed. morning with my brother and I heading out to some public land where I've been spotting birds....We got on to a nice Tom and two hens right away but couldn't get him to leave the hens....we ended up getting busted trying to make a move on them....I wasn't able to get out the rest of the week due to work, so I had saturday off to get it done....We got up saturday and headed to the same public land we were on Wed. and got on to some birds but couldn't make it happen so we hit a couple more spots and got on birds but couldn't make it happen there either... I decided to go to another public spot I knew that holds birds every year, but it would be a long trek to get back so as we worked our way back we would call we heard a couple gobbles off in the distance but nothing would come in so we kept working our way back. As we came to the field We noticed two gobblers strutting, we snuck to the edge of the field and tried to call them in, but to sandhill cranes spotted us and freaked out and the tom's left the field so I put out a hen decoy and as I was heading back in I noticed two toms and a bunch of hens on the top of the hill and luckily they didn't spot us so we started calling they wouldn't leave the hens, but 3 of the hens worked our way and hung around for a while. finally the the 4th hen came in and the two toms followed here in, we had it set up that he would shoot the right and I would shoot the left, they came in to 20 yds we both got our guns up and he counted 1, I counted 2, and then bang two toms down. This would be both of our first Turkeys......We were pumped...Mine was 20 #'s 10 1/8" beard 3/4" spurs, his was 16 #'s 10" beard 1/2" spurs....

3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Wed May 26, 2010 9:44 am

Guess I'd better start with the most important bird, my better half Jeanne got her first turkey. We were into birds quite a bit but it never came together for us. This morning started out like many others, bird on roost gobbing hard. I gave him 1 light call just to let him know I was there then shut up. He flys down and starts working away, I called a little more, he holds up for awhile then works away again. I gave him some sexy stuff and that was the ticket, he was on the way gobbling steady. I stayed absolutely silent the 15 minutes it took him to close the distance, when he got to 23 yards I whisteled a kee-kee, he stopped to look and Jeanne absolutely crushed him!! Both upper and lower beak were broken and 9 holes with 1" of the eye. I was very proud :D Bird is an average 2yo.

Here is a bird I filmed Joe Runde shoot. I had nothing to do with it other than running the camera. Joe did a nice job scouting and killed him 5 minutes after flydown.

My buddy Marc came out from Washington to hunt. We spent a day hunting public land and had a lot of gobbles but nothing comitted. We hunted my farm for the next outing and got into the best of positions, between a hen and some rowdy gobblers. I did very little calling and it took an hour for the gobblers to commit. The biggest of the pair came thru at 60 and this guy came into 47, Marc put a great shot on him. Another average 2yo.

I'll never have another hunt like this and maybe that's a good thing... It was Mothers Day so of course I had obligations but I thought I could sneak out for a quick morning hunt. Got into a pair of strutting toms with 3 hens. I figured the only way I had a chance was to get real close and try and nudge a gobbler over my way. I got within 50 yards and started working on them. It took 4 series of calls over 40 minutes before they finally broke strut and ever so slowly started pecking their way over to me only to hang up in range but behind a deadfall. The hens actually came over and saved the day by dragging the toms around to my side of the deadfall. I took both with one shot on film as my camera was running out of tape. Both were double beards, 10" & 2" / 9" & 6". 7/8" and 1" spurs weights were 24# 9 oz and 22# 4oz. I truly was an amazing morning and I'm sure will never happen again. I was 3 hours late for Mothers Day activities and caught holy , thank God I brought some meat home to soften the blows :lol:

I coaxed Dad into taking a day off work to get on some public birds I had just found. To this day I still wonder what happened because the little valley that had 3 hot gobblers just 2 days prior was absolutely silent the morning we arrived. To make matters worse, 30 mph winds started gusting. That's hunting I guess, we did come across 2 hens nests tho, the one had I think 23 eggs :shock:

Dad and I were back at it the following weekend, had a ton of gobbles all around us so we sat motionless back to back. I hear Dad whisper "Junior!" then BANG! I turned to see wings flopping in the grass. Padre, who does all his hunting at the speed of light, dusted a jake.

Overall it was a great and rewarding season. I really applied myself because I'm thinking to offer full service guided and filmed hunts. I had hoped to get 6 birds killed so came in one shy but did run 100% on opportunity. Hope you enjoyed the post and had a great season as well.

Bob

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”