Voting thread for pics & stories (Update)

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinfool14
500 Club

Re: Voting thread for pics & stories (Update)

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 am

after watching these turkeys for the past 3 mornings. i pretty much knew there pattern. so when wednesday morning arrived, i was ready to go. snuck out there and set up a jake decoy laying over a hen, and another hen about 15 yds away. when the first tom gobbled, i turned to look around the tree and saw him strutting on the limb. took the rangefinder out and he was 45 yards away. later on, the turkeys all game flying out like missiles coming down! 14 turkeys hit the wheat field about 60 yards away, 2 strutters. everytime they gobbled, you could see the steam come out of there mouth. after a few sexy calls i got a tom to break apart from 10 hens and here he come running in! had my uncle videotaping me and as the turkey approached, i let him come right to the jake decoy. got the ok from the cameraman and BOOM! GAME OVER! he was done! shot him at 14.5 yards with a 3 1/2 inch shell. the tom never moved a muscle! so after some laughing and high-fiving each other, it was time to take this smart animal back home! not the biggest turkey iv shot, weighed 22 lbs, 10 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs! scouting really payed off on this hunt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:57 am

Nice guys!

Good stories.....

Good luck to the rest of the members...
RJR-007
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun May 02, 2010 2:08 am

ARROWBENDER's 2010 MO TURKEY
I went down to Mo w/ six friends for our annual Mo turkey hunt. The word on the street as well as in the hunting reg's was that the turkey numbers were way down again. 3rd year in a row. That being said, I decided to use the smooth bore over the bow, better chance to bring home the bacon so to speak. We arrived the Sunday before the opener to hang out and schmooze with the area land owners who we hunt on. This years topic was the shortage of anhydrous to put on crops.
Opening morning I set up on a field edge, there was plenty of gobbling on the limb but noticably less than previous years. I had hens fly down right behind me and the gobbler that was sounding off behind them continued to gobble on the ground. I let the hens do the talking. As they fed out in front of me a silent gobbler entered the the field from the other side. He wouldn't come into my reduced range of 40 yrds that I limited myself to because of trying to use up my remaining inventory of 6 shot. I had a very nice 5" bearded hen come into 12 yrds but decided to pass on her for the simple reason I had no room for any full mounted turkeys (well you'd need to mount the matched set?). The Tom finally meandered to just under 40 yrds when the hens started to putt and turn uneasy. The Tom lifted his head and I decided to let fly.
WTF !! I couldn't believe my eyes when he ran off seemingly untouched by my 2 oz's of copper plated . But run he did.
The rest of the day was basically uneventful other than finding a pair of marauding hunters on "my" private land.
So the next morning I was lucky enough to sit on a different piece of timber only to find the local population developed lock jaw the second their feet touched the ground.
After 1 1/2 hours of enjoying a very quiet morning I decided to try an old trick I learned by default many years ago. I went a couple hundred yds into the timber in the direction that I figured the roosting gobblers flew down to. I let things quiet down for a few minutes then very sparingly yet lovingly yelped out my plea for company. I then kicked back against my tree for a little siesta. After ten or so minutes I repeated my seduction w/ a little more passion and again kicked back w/ closed eyes.
I was awakened by a very suttle crunch of leaves. It took a second to figure out where I was and what I was doing. I had passed out pretty good. I mean I was dreaming and $hit. I quickly gained my senses and detected movement to my right. Of course I'm right handed and knew I was in trouble when I saw that my quarry was already under 25 yds. Luckily for me the beautiful red head stepped behind a big hickory and allowed me to turn in preparation for a shot. I wished I had had my Bark Silencer because when I turned I made an ungodly amount of noise on my Hickory tree. This evoked a PUTT from my jellyheaded friend behind the tree and I thought the jig was up.
Luckily for me and not so much for Thomas, he stepped out at about 30 yds.
Lets just say that my newly aquired #4's probably weren't necesary but definetly performed as advertised.
Our group went 3 for 7 with few opportunities. It was a tough one in MO.

Officially 22.7 lbs. 10 1/2" paint brush and 1 1/8" daggers.

huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun May 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Congrats!!! Great story!!!!!!! you being the seductive hen.............good visual there!!!!!!Got the job done!!!
So what were the dreams?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon May 03, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks Deb.

It was one of those halucination type things where nothing really made sense.
The key to the set up was to set up in the shade, no matter how tempting it is to soak up the sun.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue May 04, 2010 7:36 am

For the 2010 Wisconsin turkey season I had a tag for the second season which was April 21-25. I had planned to hunt a small private parcel in southeastern Wisconsin where the landowner only allows bowhunting.

A few weeks before the season I asked the landowner’s son if he had been seeing any turkeys on the property and where and when he had been seeing them. He indicated that he was seeing them in the evenings in the southern portion of the property.

On Saturday, April 17th I went out before dawn to locate some turkeys for the Wednesday morning hunt. I didn’t see any turkeys but at first light I heard two toms gobbling on the neighboring property to the south. The birds were roosted in several rows of pine trees. I drove around the perimeter of the property and parked along the road about 100 yards from where they were roosting. The toms kept gobbling on the roost. A while later I saw a hen but no toms.

On Sunday, April 18th I went out again before dawn to locate some turkeys for the Wednesday morning hunt. The results were similar to the previous day in that I didn’t see any turkeys at first light but I heard the two toms gobbling again on the neighboring property to the south. At about 6:45 am one of the toms from the pines crossed the road onto the property I can hunt. He walked across part of a wheat field and into the woods. At about 8:00 am I packed up and walked to my car. I did one more drive around the property perimeter and I saw the other tom and he crossed the road in front of me onto the property I can hunt. He took the same route the other tom did by going across the wheat field and into the woods. Here is a picture of the second tom.

The pine trees the toms were roosting in were about 100 yards south of the property I could hunt. For Wednesday morning I planned to set up about 100 yards from the property boundary along the edge of the wheat field and woods. I would have set up closer but I try to be real discreet when hunting this property due to homes on the bordering properties and at 100 yds from the property boundary I would be out of site from the homes and the road. I would be about 200 yards from where the birds were roosting. My plan was to call to them early and if they didn’t come in I would wait for them to hopefully take the same route they did a couple days earlier.

On Wednesday morning I awoke at about 4:00 am. I drove to the property, parked by the farmhouse, and walked about ½ mile to the south end of the property. I set up my ground blind on the edge of a wheat field with the woods immediately behind me. I then set my decoys at a distance of about 7-10 yards. From where I had the decoys set, the turkeys to the south would see them when they crested a small rise in the wheat field. If any turkeys came from the woods behind me and to the northeast, they would also be able to see the decoys from a distance. My decoy set up involved a jake standing over a hen as if he was ready to breed her. I put another hen decoy a few yards from those two. I had fishing line tied to the jake just in case I would need to move him a bit to entice a gobbler to come in closer.

Once in my blind I set up my video camera on a tripod to self-video this hunt. I had the camera way to the right side of the blind and only opened the window of the blind just enough for the camera to have a clear view of the decoys. I opened a window in the center of the blind just wide enough (about 2-3”) so I could shoot an arrow through. I had my calls set out next to me. I nocked an arrow and waited.

The toms to the south in the pines kept gobbling every few minutes like they did during the scouting missions on the previous Saturday and Sunday. I felt confident one or both of those toms would make their way over to me soon. Then a single, unexpected gobble from the northeast caught me by surprise. It sounded as if that gobbler was about 100 yards away. I peeked out a side window in the blind and saw not one but three mature toms were steadily walking toward the decoys. They didn’t gobble but just kept on walking. I didn’t call knowing they were committed and they would be into the decoys shortly.

I turned on the video camera and waited. It was almost 6:00 am. Within about a minute one of the toms had made his way into the decoys. He went straight to the jake and did some ½ to ¾ strutting. He tried to intimidate the jake for about 45 seconds. I enjoyed the show and then as it appeared that he might start to leave, I drew my bow. I waited a second until he turned, then I put my top pin on him just to the left of the top of his beard, and released. In the next two pictures you can see the fluorescent yellow fletching to the left of the bird.

My Muzzy-tipped arrow hit him with a thump and passed right through.

The tom jumped up in the air and flipped around. In the distance there was a small cloud of dust from where my arrow hit and lodged in the dirt.

The tom ran off toward the woods (to the left in the pictures). The two other toms ran back the way they had come from (to the right in the pictures).

I sat quietly for about two minutes. I knew the hit was good but I wanted to give the gobbler a little time to expire. Then two jakes came from the same direction as the toms did. They walked around the hen decoy for a few seconds and then went back the way they came. To kill a little more time I packed up my gear inside the blind.

Then I took my bow and went to find the turkey. He made it into the woods a little ways before falling. The total distance traveled was approximately 50 yards. I put my tag on his leg and then spent a minute admiring this magnificent bird. Then I picked him up and headed back to the blind.

I found my arrow and picked up the decoys. I packed up the blind and headed back to the car with my bow in one hand and a nice bird over my shoulder.

The gobbler weighed 24 lbs., the beard was 11.5”, and the spurs were 1” each.

Sometimes when you think you have the turkeys figured out (like I thought I did with the two toms roosting in the pines), you get a surprise like I did where some unknown toms showed up and gave me an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. It was a short hunt but like all the others it was a very memorable hunt.
Osprey

Unread postby Osprey » Sun May 16, 2010 3:55 am

Well, after a month long running battle I finally killed the bird that's been giving me fits. Was after this bird on a farm nearly and hour drive from home, he's flown down away from me, ignored me, changed roosts on me, dissapeared, come back, done about every thing a Tom can to ya off. I almost killed him last week, had him dead to rights at 30 yards, but I was in a sunbeam. Had to move my head one inch to put my cheek on the stock, but that bird saw the sun glint off my glasses when I moved and took off like the Road Runer. Today, however, his luck ran out! He gobbled well off his normal roost, I was where I needed to be, along a small sand ridge (it's flat here, a ridge is 4' high) where he always seemed to pitch to off the roost, and I had better cover and a full head net. He landed only 20 yards from me, but on the other side of the ridge and it was just high enough I couldn't see him. He gobbled twice, then moved down away from me, crossed the ridge at 35 yrds and looked toward me with the sun at his back again. Hard to pick him out in the rays of sunrise, but I centered on his head and BOOM, I don't think he even quivered! Fell probably within 20 feet of where he spooked last week. 22lbs, 10.5" beard, 1/1/4" & 1 3/8" spurs. And no, sorry, it wasn't with the smootbore flinter, after a few hunts I knew I needed every advantage I could get with this smart old fellar so I had the 870. Still very happy, love matching wits with one old bird like that, even when they drive me nuts for a whole season.

WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Mon May 17, 2010 6:47 am

The anticipation of turkey season has always been an exciting time of year for me. I've taken many birds with the shotgun and really wanted the challenge of shooting one with the bow. I've tried bowhunting them before, but always ended up bringing out the shotgun as my season draws to an end. This year, I locked up the shotgun and gave the keys to my 17 year old, telling him to hide them on me so I wouldn't be tempted.

I was starting to regret the decision after 2-1/2 long days of chasing birds with the bow. I couldn't seem to do anything right.

Friday, I had taken the day off to hunt. I had a great setup with my blind, and managed to call a Tom in, from approximately 600 yards, to about 60 yards shortly after the birds flew off the roost.
I just couldn't coax him in closer. I think at one point I saw him stick his tongue out at me!
I also had great intentions of video taping my hunt, but realized after I set my video camera up on the tripod, that the legs of the tripod would not stretch far enough to reach the window of my new blind.
Regardless...the bird hung up at 60 yards and strutted and gobbled his fool head off...finally a stray hen came along and took him away, putting me out of my misery.
They moved across the field to a little patch of trees in the field I was in...I climbed out of the blind and made a mad dash across the field (153 yards! - according to the rangefinder) and tried to ambush them coming around the backside of the little trees, but as I got closer, the Tom must have seen me and laid down in some tall grass...I almost stepped on him before he took off on a zig-zagging run across the open field. I drew back, but realized the arrow would never connect. So I didn't release.
I chased birds all over for the day and finally quit around 5:00pm, figuring I had a good plan for the following morning.
This time without the blind. I set up closer to the roosting spot but realized as it got light out that I was TOO close. The birds never made a sound until it was fly-down time. And they were well aware of where I was sitting so when the 2 hens and 2 toms left the safety of the trees, they flew off into never-never land...not to be seen again.
Spent a few more hours out and about with no luck.
So this morning (sunday) I had yet another plan. Larry had actually volunteered to sit in the blind with me, which is very unusual because he usually has no patience for sitting, and I can usually sit for a long time. This time we set the blind up on the edge of a cornfield where we had been seeing 4 jakes and a tom pretty regularly in the mornings.
I was pretty optimistic when the woods lit up with gobbling as the sun started it's way up into the sky. Then it got quiet as the birds hit the ground. The Tom crested up over the hill in the field, but avoided both the blind and the decoys we set out. Then we spotted the 4 jakes at the opposite end of the field...they proceeded to come a bit closer, but then were distracted by a couple of geese that landed in the field and they opted to chase the geese around for about a half hour. Then they wandered back towards the woods they came out of, but were on the other side of the hill where we couldn't see them.
After about 40 minutes of waiting, we decided to get aggressive. I asked Larry to grab the Montana Decoy and I grabbed my bow, and we creeped our way up to the top of the hill. The 4 jakes had somehow managed to gather up the mature Tom and they were all just over the hill about 80 yards. Then we saw a hen making her way over to them as well. I thought "this is it, we'll never pull this off" but I told Larry to pop up the strutting tom decoy so the other birds would see it and I crouched down behind Larry in the open grass field.
The birds started our way on a string. They were all on their way to check us out. I picked out a couple of markers in the field so I knew my range and three of the jakes and the hen were the first to make the top of the hill...the strutter was lagging behind a bit. But I sure wasn't going to wait for him, for fear of getting busted. I hid behind Larry as much as I could and when I seen the jakes hit the 30 yard mark, I drew back, leaned out to the left behind Larry and took steady aim at the lead bird...and released a perfect shot!! We both jumped up in total disbelief of what had just happened! The Tom, the hen, and the other 3 jakes were airborn. The bird I just shot was laying completely lifeless 20 yards away in the dirtfield! I had just accomplished my goal of taking a turkey with the bow! I absolutely love my Montana Strutting Tom Decoy!!!
He's got about a 3 inch beard and his spurs are about 1/4" long, but the memory of this hunt will be right up there with the hunt with my son in South Dakota where we also used the Montana Decoy, and this jake will be displayed on my wall somehow!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon May 17, 2010 9:51 am

Congrats Sherry!!!!!! What a story!!!!!! What a bird!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon May 17, 2010 4:20 pm

nice job sherry :) :) :)
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon May 17, 2010 5:13 pm

A Hard-Earned, Rainy Day Gobbler

The first week of my May hunt was long and hectic with my son having his eighth birthday, so come Friday I was ready to spend some quality hours in the blind. Well, after working all night and seeing the wet, windy forecast Friday morning I opted to take a nap until noon, hoping the weather would take a break for me to hit the woods.......well, it didn't. I awoke to high winds and lots of raindrops, but this was what I had been waiting for all week, so I wasn't about to stay home on the couch. I grabbed all my gear, rain coat included, and hit the road to scan the fields for a wet weather tom. Driving by a couple of my properties I could see that the birds out on this nasty day were few and far between, but I did spot a couple here and there so I wasn't ready to give in just yet. As I approached one of the new fields I acquired this year I spotted some birds that my buddy and I had worked on Monday with no success. The big tom was out in the middle of a large grass field with his girls, and would have required a very long walk and a lot of convincing to get him onto the property I could hunt.....something that wasn't really that appealing to me on this nasty day.

As I approached the field that we hunted on opening day I spotted a tom and few hens feeding in the cut corn....just a little closer than the others, and seemingly on a predictable route through the field. I made the split decision to pull into the drive and go after these birds, and a quick plan was thought out to sneak down the edge of the woods and get around them, then hope to set up without being seen. Well, getting in and set up worked out perfect, but were the birds still feeding my way, or had I spooked them? I started a calling sequence just to let them know I was there, and it wasn't even 20 minutes and I see some birds moving through the cut corn about 80 yards out in front of me. Moments later I spot three birds coming down the edge of the corn towards my setup, so I made sure the camera was on and prepared for some action. The two hens did not even hesitate to come in and check out the Dave Smith hen, but the tom that was in tow did not commit so easily. He moved in very slowly, and I could tell that he wanted to strut for this stranger in his field, but he was still hesitant.

Finally he decides to move in a little closer, now within easy bow range, but to be honest I wasn't real crazy about quartering angle at about 20 yards. I decided to wait him out and see what his next move would be when the hens start to move out away from my setup a little, which was enough to get the tom moving again. As he finally turned and walked into an opening through the tall corn stalks I quickly came to full draw, put the pin on him and let it go. I see the arrow impact but immediately knew that the shot was not spot-on, it was low and a little left. The bird ran about 15 yards and hunched up as I readied another arrow, and at this point I was starting to doubt that I would tag this bird. After a couple minutes he started moving again, but now he was about 30 yards out, and picking a shot through the corn stubble was next to impossible. I looked ahead of him and found another opening, and when he cleared the stalks I sent another arrow on it's way to him which also connected, but sent him up into flight. I made the quick decision to get out of the blind and try to cut him off before he could get to the woods, but by the time I was out of the blind I had lost sight of him, so I headed to the woods to track him down.

I started the search for the tom, back and forth through the woods and the CRP grass with no luck. The entire time I was playing the whole scenario over and over in my head wondering what I could have done different, but it was an arrow (or two) that was already fired and could not be taken back. After searching in the wind, rain and thunder for almost two hours, I was zig-zagging through the CRP grass from the corn to the edge of the woods, back toward the blind and honestly ready to give it up, when up ahead I spot the bird flapping his wings in the tall grass. I had walked by him probably 2-3 times and never even saw him hunkered down in there. I was able to sneak in close and finish him off with yet another arrow, and finally the agony was over for both him and me......I had a hard-earned tom to put my 2010 tag on. It was one of those hunts that you wish just wouldn't have happened in the first place, but my persistence in looking for him had payed off. If I had given up looking an hour earlier I would probably still have that tag in my pocket, and this hunt taught me a very valuable lesson.....never give up!

-Brian

[youtube]yKSRxQr0vYI[/youtube]

20 lbs, 10.25" Beard, 13/16" Spurs

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue May 18, 2010 12:36 am

I'm just going to post a post with all the links and call it my yearly story. There isn't enough time to re-write everything and post all the pics would eat up too much bandwidth! Just right click on the link and select "open in new tab" to read the stories then close that tab to get back to the links. If you click on the link it seems to terminate the original internect connection for some reason.

Wrestles With Turkeys 2010 Super Season

Kansas
http://huntingbeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=974

Iowa Birthday Bird
http://huntingbeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1114

The Perfect Hunt
http://huntingbeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1197
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:02 am

First season arrived and my goal was to shoot a tom with my longbow come or highwater. I sat in a groundblind all day friday, saturday, and sunday morning. The wind was relentless and the birds were unresponsive and they were not coming out to the fields. My last resort was to get out the gun and get into the woods on the south side of a ridge where I would be out of the wind, and where I thought the birds would be. I got into the woods, made one yelp and a tom hammered back less than 75 yards away. I quickly stuck a hen decoy in front of me and plopped down against a tree with my gun facing down a heavy deer trail that went through the thick underbrush. Moments later I can see a fan crest over the ridge and a bright red head. He slowly made his way toward me and got about 40 yards away when he started to get a little spooky. I figured it was now or never and dropped him on the spot. Also got the hunt on film.

20 lbs 10 1/4" Beard
Jakes from the blind

Trail Cameras view

Just before I get out...

My second tag

My second tag was for the 4 period. I got permission to hunt a farm not far from school so I would be able to hunt between my classes. The first morning I had a couple toms roosted nearby but they henned up off the roost and shut up. The next afternoon after an exam I burned over to the property between a rain storm to try and get setup on the toms. As I was approaching the field, I spotted two red heads along the fenceline. After belly crawling 10 yards backwards, I swung around the hill to be out of sight from them and got setup 100 yards away from them on the other side of a hill. After a few yelps and constant gobbling, I coaxed the two toms into 25 yards and dropped the lead bird.

21 lbs 10 ¾” beard 1” spurs

Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 am

Congrats to all, alot of cool stories here, I feel like I am right out there with you!!! No turkey for me this year, but even better I got to be along with 2 hunters who bagged their first-ever turkeys. Man, I tell you what, being there for the shaking arms and heavy breathing as they wait the last few yards for a bird to come into range, or when you hear one gobble just 50 yards away, then seeing them hoist up their first bird with that big grin on their face, that is better than shooting a bird to me. Congrats to Magicman on his first turkey, followed very shortly by his 2nd!! And also to my girlfriend who tagged her first gobbler this year! And everyone else, keep the stories comming!!!
deerman69

Unread postby deerman69 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:36 pm

I really don't hunt turkeys but we have a ton of them on the property, here are some pics. deerman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”