Hanging stands and cold weather clothing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Hanging stands and cold weather clothing

Unread postby Ack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Just curious what method everyone has for hanging your stand/sticks when cold weather clothing comes into play? I always walk in with a base layer top and hunting pants on the bottom, hang my stand/sticks, add layers of clothing, then climb up and hunt. My biggest concern with this however is the amount of extra time it takes to get dressed, and also the amount of scent that is lingering from getting dressed "at the stand."

I would definitely be sweated up after a long walk into the public land and then hanging a stand/sticks (with all clothing on), but it would be quicker and allow for less screwing around at the base of your tree with the extra clothing. Thoughts?

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Hanging stands and cold weather clothing

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:24 am

The method you described has been one used effectively for hunters for decades now. I think it has been proven effective. Last year, I wanted to try something new too so I bought a HBS. On my first hunt with it, it was -4F when I arrived at my stand tree at 4:30 in the morning, lightly dressed. Got my stand set up, got into my suit and hunted until 9:30 when the deer came by and was able to comfortably get off a shot. I would have never been able to hunt for 5 hours in that kind of weather without it. There is a downside though. It's like a sleeping bag - bulky. Still when the weather gets really nasty out, the pros outweigh the cons for me on this one. It is my new solution to changing in the field.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am

I usually wear about 4 sweatshirts and my coat and two pairs of pants. I bungee strap them onto the back of my stand and can slide them on very quick.....works good for me
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:53 am

PredatorTC wrote:I usually wear about 4 sweatshirts and my coat

How do you draw and shoot accurately with all that bulk on PTC? :shock:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:43 am

I think you are fine doing it the way you have been. As long as you give yourself some extra time and walk slow and set up quietly, you'll be fine! As far as the scent issue, they're gonna smell you been there regardless! If you walk in with all your gear on and its cold you'll be frozen and miserable in no time! So I would keep going the way you are imo ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 am

NatureBoy wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:I usually wear about 4 sweatshirts and my coat

How do you draw and shoot accurately with all that bulk on PTC? :shock:

there not super tight.. i have some that are tight but those are the bottoom layer. Give er a try, i think youll be surprised, its not as tight as you might think. Very comfortable 8-)
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 am

PredatorTC wrote:Give er a try, i think youll be surprised

I have (well, maybe not 4 sweatshirts!, but several layers), that's why it amazes me that you can do it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:15 am

I bungee my sitting clothes to my stand... I don't think your scenting up the area "more" by dressing at the base of the tree than the scent your already leaving putting your stand up from the base of the tree. Either way if a buck comes thru in the next few days he will likely smell that you have been there...
I do on occasion get dressed 100 yards or more from the tree so I don't have the extra movement and noise.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:02 am

but what do your sitting clothes consist of dan? are you bionic man or do you need warm clothes too??? :lol:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:05 am

Dan likes to suffer, what he wears in cold weather is what most of us would wear during the rut :lol:

I usually wear a pair of bibs with just my base layers on til I get the stand set, then after setting up the camera arm and other nessesities I put one or two fleece coats on...........
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 pm

From what I've seen, Dan is more like a modern-day Robin Hood than the bionic man- whatever works! :lol:

Lungbuster's setup is pretty close to my own for cold weather. I wear a pair of River's West Bibs (weather proof), awesome lightness and flexibility. I'll have a fleece jacket bungeed to my stand, If the weather is really nasty my rivers west jacket and hood too. I'll replace my base layer with a dry one near or at my stand if I'm sweated out, base layer of socks too.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:14 am

I found if you wear less clothing on your long walk out you don't sweat. So you can get by with alot less clothes when sitting. It seems like if you are sweated up it don't matter how much you have on you will get cold. I would rather freeze on the way out than freeze in the stand. Once my stand is hung I usually wait 5 or 10 minutes to cool down and lower my heart rate before getting dressed. Another thing I noticed is don't put your hat on until all your sweat is evaporated from your hair.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”