Rut moon guide

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRUD
500 Club

Re: Rut moon guide

Unread postby GRUD » Wed May 19, 2010 10:01 am

You don't need a moon chart. Generally if you study the chart, the full moon is overhead at midnight and a new moon is underfoot at midnight wherever you are. So, every day after the full or new moon, it will be overhead or underfoot about an hour later each day. Check your chart, the seventh day after either a full or new moon will have morning and evening feeding times highlighted. That seventh day is in my opinion the best day to be in the woods. If you want to know when deer will be moving just look at a calendar and see how many days after a full or new moon it is and add that many hours from noon or midnight.

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Fri May 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Based on my observations I believe the moon is a tool to add to your hunting kit, but it shouldn't be the only factor that determines time to hunt when vacation is precious. Think of the endless other things that will ultimately affect deer movement on the day you are in the woods.

• Weather
  • Farmers harvesting crops
  • Your own hunting pressure
  • Neighbor tracking a deer through your land the night before
  • Other hunters movement who may have permission on your parcel, or especially if public

My own personal experience for Wisconsin has been the week up until Halloween and the week after are the 2 weeks to be in the woods as much as possible. I prefer Oct 24-31 personally, lots of buck movement looking for those first doe in heat.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 22, 2010 2:53 am

My own personal experience for Wisconsin has been the week up until Halloween and the week after are the 2 weeks to be in the woods as much as possible. I prefer Oct 24-31 personally, lots of buck movement looking for those first doe in heat.

I believe rut timing is different in differing areas.. Most of my hunting aspots in Iowa heated up "rut wise" the second week of November a full week or two after it was hot in Wisconsin.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat May 22, 2010 7:37 am

i agree james and dan. the reason iowa is later cause it is further south and west i believe. . but i used to compare the timing down here when i mostly just bow hunted kenosha with my friend that bow hunted buffalo county and there seemed to be major differences. it would be rockin up there in buffalo and i was still waiting for it to hit down there in kenosha.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 22, 2010 9:13 am

Yep... For some reason the hills of Buffalo county seem to heat up the last week of October but we don't see much action in S.E. Wisconsin till 1st week of November...
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat May 22, 2010 10:45 am

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:29 pm

I JUST BOUGHT THE RED HOT RUT GUIDE BY JEFF MURRAY AND HE SAYS THE HOTTEST TIME WILL BE NOV 11-16. HE CALLS THIS THE TROLLING PERIOD OR THE EARLY POST RUT WHEN BUCKS ARE STILL LOOKING FOR DOES. THIS SEEMS TO BE EARLY TO ME. I AM HEADING TO KANSAS THIS FALL. ANY INPUT ON WHEN TO GO? JEFF SAYS THAT THE KANSAS RUT IS 3-7 DAYS LATER THAN MOST SO BY HIS CHART THE 14-19 OR THE 18-23 WOULD BE THE TIME TO HUNT. WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK?
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 pm

wmihunter wrote:I JUST BOUGHT THE RED HOT RUT GUIDE BY JEFF MURRAY AND HE SAYS THE HOTTEST TIME WILL BE NOV 11-16. HE CALLS THIS THE TROLLING PERIOD OR THE EARLY POST RUT WHEN BUCKS ARE STILL LOOKING FOR DOES. THIS SEEMS TO BE EARLY TO ME. I AM HEADING TO KANSAS THIS FALL. ANY INPUT ON WHEN TO GO? JEFF SAYS THAT THE KANSAS RUT IS 3-7 DAYS LATER THAN MOST SO BY HIS CHART THE 14-19 OR THE 18-23 WOULD BE THE TIME TO HUNT. WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK?

If the chart is saying these will be post rut dates I have to wonder in what region it is reffering to. generally in Wi. the post rut chasing doesn't start until the first week in Dec. or later and the dates the chart is refering to are usually the peak of the rut (or just prior to), which is not always the best time to hunt during the rut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”