Rut moon guide

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Rut moon guide

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:12 am

It is only a guide but does help when ideal conditions are present. I look at temperature in relation to the moonguide. This past year the weather seemed perfect and the predictions were spot on in my area. I'm really wanting to try the Murray guide this season

NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:10 am

Zap wrote:I plan to buy one with the 2010, last time I checked Mrs. Murray was waiting for the printer to finish.

Have you received yours yet Marty? I would like to know the differences in predictions between Murray's and Alsheimer's for this year.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Havent ordered it yet, are they done?

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Sam Ubl wrote:Good point, even though I had to squint my eyes to read what you said Zap. . . With such small font and all.

Sorry about that I will use larger font from now on.

marty
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 pm

:lol:
Pike

Unread postby Pike » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:45 am

Does will come into estrous with in a day of 2 of when they did the year before, and the year before that. Here in PA. the peak of the rut has taken place each and every year with in a couple of days of Nov. 13th. and will continue to do so each and every year in the future. That is unless the earth some how gets knocked off its axis. The same is true for the search phase, chase phase etc. Things like moon phase, temp, weather conditions etc. play no part in the phases of the rut. Pike
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:19 am

Pike... I agree, the moon and weather don't seem to me to make much of a difference on the timing of the rut.
However, I believe they do make a difference on whether or not the deer are active during daylight or at night.
Pike

Unread postby Pike » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am

Dan I agree that warm temps do affect how much bucks are on their feet and limit how far they cam travel during daylight but moon phase etc. is just a myth. Pike
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:54 am

I used to feel the same way...
A friend of mine, Andrea D'Aquisto kept shooting Boone & Crockett bucks in the mornings early in the season and kept raving about how much he likes to hunt mornings... I too got onto big bucks in the same areas he was hunting, but hardly ever in the AM... So, while I was at his place filming him for an interview I went in depth with him on why he is killing big bucks in the morning hunting over there beds when all I do is kick up bedded bucks an hour before daylight... His answer caught me by surprise. He said, Dan, your not paying attention to the moon guide... He said the secret is being patent and waiting for the right day to hunt the bed.
I was still skeptical... But Andrea runs about 2 dozen trail cameras and gets over 100 photo's a day. Every day he gets new photo's of big bucks.
I looked thru the logs and found there was fluctuations in deer movement.
I compared it to the moon chart and went back a couple months and was shocked at how accurate it was... The peak movements pretty much followed when the chart said they would move... The few differences I found were explained by changes in the weather...
Later that season I watched the chart closer and found myself seeing a correspondence. There is definitely something to it...
I don't actually agree with Jeff Murrys hunting set ups he suggests for each phase. But when that guide says the deer are feeding in the AM after daylight, the bucks seem to get back to bed with enough daylight to shoot them.
I would say check one out, there only $10. I think you will be surprised by the results. Everybody I know who gave it a chance has told me it has been very accurate...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 pm

I said earlier here that I was using Alsheimer's rut guide. Just found out that it's actually produced by Wayne Laroche. I used both Laroche's and Murry's last year.
Anyone have a chance to compare the two yet for this year?
dan wrote:He said, Dan, your not paying attention to the moon guide... He said the secret is being patent and waiting for the right day to hunt the bed.

That's a great point and tip Dan! I'll keep that on in mind for this year...
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat May 08, 2010 12:41 am

I used the Primetime Charts and love them. I think im gonna try the Murray charts next season.

Dan, just out of curiosity, how do you get a sponsor? Would you be able to get Murry Moon Charts to sponsor you? Or maybe i don't understand how that all works? That would be a sponsorship worth having in my eyes!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat May 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Dan, just out of curiosity, how do you get a sponsor?

Generally they contact me, or I contact them and discuss what we could do for each other, to help each others business.
I have not thought about Murry, but I doubt that would work... I do really like the charts, but at $10 each its really not very economic for them to sponsor me for a sizable amount. Selling them a banner add might be of interest... But, I am sure they are not doing to much new advertising yet, being so soon after Jeff's death.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun May 09, 2010 5:18 am

All I know is after watching Hill Country Bucks I bought a Murphy's Moon guide. Even as skeptical as I am I did find that although the time varied slightly, the days that it said deer would be feeding and moving before dark they were. I was as skeptic as anyone about the whole thing, but there absolutely is something to it. Like Dan I don't necessarily think it is advisable to follow the locations it says you should be hunting, but the deer remarkably seem to be moving on the days AM and PM when it said they would. I will buy one every year as an extra little tool.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Tue May 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Hey Dan, Glad to switch over to the new site!!
I was always told that the 1st full moon of the second equinox was the darkest day of the year which makes does cycle. Being this is why deer farmers can make does cycle at any given time by keeping them inside for the correct amount of darkness and thats when they bottle the urine to sell to us for a stupid amount of money. Anyway... my daily gring studies show that Nov. 3rd-9th will be the time "most" does should cycle, but this doesnt mean this is going to be the peak rut... the chase phase may go on a little before but mostly after these days accur. Just my 2 cents...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue May 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Rutin is right about deer farm scents... Indoor deer farms get there does to go into estrous early so they can sell product for rut hunters by altering the amount of daylight vs darkness. Temperature and other variables have little else to do with it.
Welcome to the BEAST Rutin, glad you made it over! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”