what is the cutoff point?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

what is the cutoff point?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:11 pm

What do you guys think seems to be the cutoff point of the average hunter when it comes to venturing into public land from the roads? Quarter mile? Half mile? one mile? Ive been doing a lot of scouting on public lately and it seems to me where average hunters stop is about .5 miles from the road maybe a little under. I say this because at .5 miles from a road is where human trails and garbage start to vanish. Although this is mostly riverbottom land.

I think on one of the dvds Dan talked about this but I cant remember and my cousin still has the dvd and HASN'T returned it.

Zap

Re: what is the cutoff point?

Unread postby Zap » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Dan sells them here.
I, personally dont lend my copies out.
They are too valuable.

I think most walk 20 minutes or under.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PredatorTC
ProStaff

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:49 am

Zap wrote:Dan sells them here.
I, personally dont lend my copies out.
They are too valuable.

I think most walk 20 minutes or under.

marty

I agree!!! They always come back scratched!!! :evil: Plus nothing wrong with Dan being able to sell a few extra!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:29 am

I would say .5 mile, or three up and down deep ravines or a cat tail swamp or a patch of thick nasty growth-prickers & ceders or waste deep water,any of those things or a comination of will leave most people behind you.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:48 am

There seems to be several different types of public land hunters... I find you have some guys who are scarred to get to far from the parking lot, there are some who want to get away from the parking lot but still don't want to drag a deer a mile. And there are those who head for the middle of the public land... If your trying to get away from the other hunters they tend not to want to get wet, or muddy. Crossing a wet swamp or river can be a huge advantage. I would say after a 1/2 mile you see a lot less hunters, but they still have a way of finding you if its dry land. Worse is, if they are finding you, they are also annoying the deer and pushing them into other areas...
Another spot avoided by hunters is the sections of land along the road in between the parking areas. Some guys go out a long ways, some short, but very few hunters go in from a parking lot and follow along side the road.
Might sound like a weird place to hunt, but let me tell you, big bucks get big by going where they very seldom smell human intrusion. Find the over looked spots, and you will find mature bucks.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:29 am

Thanks guys for the advice. I agree with Dan on the hotspots close to parking areas or roads. Its funny, from what Ive seen just about all the public hunters start off from parking lots they dont consider parking on the side of the road where you immediatly walk into thick brush and swamp they prefer the "neat" walking trails.

Im hoping Dans logic is correct on water and muddy areas keeping hunters away because I found a great spot for gun hunting this year that requires a canoe entry only in riverbottoms. This is on the north end of the public .6 miles from the road. I guess Im treating it as a kickup point from the public land. With private to the north. Plan on sitting right on or very close to the private/public line which is the river. I might actually pass up our private land to hunt this with two booners being killed from this public land in the past 5 years including a 12 point 173 inch brute. I just hope nobody else has the same idea as me. Thats my biggest worry as of right now. With only a canoe entry possible I figured this will eliminate most competition.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:52 am

My secret weapon, way better than a canoe, rated to hold 1000lbs, 8hp motor, and very stable. Floats in about 6" of water (unloaded)

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:48 am

[quote=
Image[/quote]

That's a slick boat you have there.. how easy is it to row without using a motor. I have a place where it's a .3 mile walk to hit the water, so something like this might be the ticket 8-)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:20 pm

Back when baiting was en vogue in Michigan, the vaerage distance was bout 200-yards, since no one wanted to haul their 50-lb sack of carrots or beets any further. Now i would have to say about a half-mile, but possibly more if the trails were easy walking and they don't have to get their feet wet.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:42 pm

mcmidc wrote:
That's a slick boat you have there.. how easy is it to row without using a motor. I have a place where it's a .3 mile walk to hit the water, so something like this might be the ticket 8-)

You would have to have some sort of hand truck or dolly to go .3 of a mile with it as it does have a bit a weight to it. If the water didn't have current it would row pretty easy, but not as good as a conoe would paddle. If the water did have a current, rowing up stream would be difficult.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:12 am

Thanks for the info on the boat. 8-)
futuredoc

sweet boat

Unread postby futuredoc » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:16 am

I've been debating getting a boat for access. How much is that thing? Looks easy to poke a hole in though. I saw another fellow who used one of these in South Dakota for some hunting. I am looking into a Jon boat vs Canoe. But that looks like an idea as well.

thanks,

fd

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”