Best food source for holding big bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Best food source for holding big bucks

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:51 am

I hunt open farmland on a fenceline overlooking CRP grass and willows .The other side of fence is private ag crops.Have hunted it for 4 years now and have found the two years it was corn I never saw many bigger bucks both hunting and trail cam photos.Now the 2 years the rotated i think some kind of oats or something i had trail cam photos of large bachelor groups of big bucks and saw many of these bucks hunting.Has anyone else found the same results when hunting there spots.Not sure if they use the corn for travel instead of the fenceline and im just not seeing them then.But it seems that when oats are planted the bucks are there.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Best food source for holding big bucks

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Funny, I was just having this decussion with a friend of mine tonite. Everyone always seems to preach corn, corn, corn. I know that these traits are regional.I agree that your sightings change with each rotation.But I think # of bucks does not. I have hunt an area similar to what u have described,and I have had to make drastic Trail Camera adjustments.The bucks only seem to feed on the corn in the deep winter when other leftover crops or forage are buried.You would think the would be in heaven,in the corn.It would be like one of us moving inside a MC Donalds ,safety and all the food you can eat. Seems that the corn is used as just an addition to the woods for travel,not so much food.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Wow...I was just going to post a question about bucks having a foodsource as oats. I hung a treestand today for early season bowhunting set 50 yards outside a field that is a historic staging site for bucks. The field was corn last year but this year I found out they are planting oats. I wasnt sure if bucks liked oats at all. From what swampthing and goldtip said they do. Gets me even more pumped up for this early season spot. :)
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 am

granted i am in western NY; but 5' dogwood seems to be the ticket here.....and the more the merrier
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”