Have you ever had lyme disease ? ( poll )

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Have you ever had Lymes disease ? ( poll )

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 96
backstraps

Re: Have you ever had lymes disease ? ( poll )

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:53 pm

I had a tick embedded in me a few years back on a trip. I don't know how I could have missed seeing the tick before I dis. I assumed the small bathroom in the camper while showering? At any rate, about four days in the trip I was feeling fatigued, a little dizzy and often sick to my stomach. I wrote it off as a virus coming on. Stayed and hunted for a couple more days before returning home. Once home I seen the bulls eye! Still had the tick embedded. I went to a local clinic where I was tested and confirmed lyme. I was given medication. It only took me a few weeks to recoop

However, the Dr told me I was very lucky as Lyme can cause some serious and lifelong problems.

I would NEVER let a tick bite go that I may be suspicious of now. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread... it just a copay. The cost of the copay doesn't even compare when it comes to health issues!

rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:47 am

Got it in 2005. Probably the worst I felt for 2 weeks. Thought it was a the flu (sore joints, cold sweats every night, fever every day, no energy) or something, but did have a feeling it was Lyme's. Finally I swung by an immediate care after work. They drew a blood titer and confirmed after about a week that it was Lyme's. Luckily for me they prescribed a certain antibiotic at that visit and by the time I got the results of the blood test back I was feeling "normal" again.

I hate those litter critters!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:01 am

I have plucked a few embedded ones...and from high Lymes disease areas.... this has become one of my biggest fears....and to think you guys base it on a rash being present (let alone being found) is nuts. My lab died of lymphoma- i was crushed- the vet reminded me of where we hunt and blamed the ticks.....he also told meas bad as lymes is, Babeosis (sp) and others are worse.

I am not that furry of a fellow and still wonder how one could find them in their scalp etc....

When i worked for the DEC (DNR) here they offered a discountented vaccine....few guys got it....one contracted arthritis ....

darn bugs scare me silly
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 am

I guess I should worry more about this. I pull off hundreds of ticks annually!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:06 am

Bump
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:17 am

I do use the Permethrin spray. I also use 100% Deet on my pant legs if I'm not pre prepped with Permethrin before hand. I have had good luck with the Deet on my pant legs. I also duct tape my pant legs shut quite often if I'm out all day. Ticks Suck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 am

A few years ago my family was out of town and I went out to set up a camera and do a little scouting. Got back home, showered, and sat on the couch for some tv watching. While sitting still my legs felt weird, they felt like my hairs were moving. I took my pants off and noticed a lot of moving little black specks. I got some tweezers and ended up picking off about 30 of them! A couple days later a bullseye appeared on my inner thigh. Luckily I never felt the effects. I went to the doctor asap and got antibiotics. I make sure to at least soak my pants in deet spray every time I go out when ticks are still out.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 am

It takes more than a day for a tick to embed its self in your skin and start to drink. If you got them all off after you got home it is highly unlikely you were bitten to the point where Lyme disease was injected into your blood.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 am

No knock on wood. Have picked 100s off me in spring turkey season
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am

I had it 4 years ago. We leased some land in Marquette county, and it was horrible with ticks. 4 days after hanging some stand I got a real bad fever & cold sweats. A day or 2 after I notices some red blotches. I went in and they tested me. I was on antibiotics for a few weeks, and that was about it. Fortunately, the blotches showed up or I never would of gone & got tested. I never did figure out where I got bit. 40 years of hunting and I only had 1 issue, I feel pretty fortunate.

The key for me was early diagnosis!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 am

I picked one off awhile back that was almost sucking on my nipple. Got the red bulls eye rash......

....,., but I don't wanna pay a bunch of money for a blood test, so I might have lymes, might not. (
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Here in MA we are at the epicenter of the Lyme crisis. Thing is Lyme isn't even the worse tick borne disease you can get. In fact compared to the other options Lyme is preferable if you can believe that.

Wear Permethrin. It works. I swear by it. I won't go in the woods without it. I would give up hunting if it wasn't for it. Follow the directions on the bottle. Spray it outside on a calm day. It is the single best defense available. But it's only part of the solution. Diligence in checking yourself never becomes any less necessary.

I prefer Permethrin to deer because it kills the ticks as opposed to just repelling them. Deet is just as toxic as well.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:32 pm

Yes. Went dove hunting in my early twenties about a week later would get up feel exhausted to the point I couldn't do anything. then later at night would run a 101 fever. Couldn't turn my head felt like someone was beating me between the eyes with a hammer. Got tested took the drugs been fine ever since. Never had the rash.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 pm

When in doubt, go get some antibiotics!

I tested positive but have no symptoms. My father had it. My wife and sisters-in-law have it and are undergoing treatments.

It is a lot more common than you think.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:35 pm

woodswalker wrote:It takes more than a day for a tick to embed its self in your skin and start to drink. If you got them all off after you got home it is highly unlikely you were bitten to the point where Lyme disease was injected into your blood.

While I do agree with the above, the lyme "bug" is in your system in less than a second (fractions of a second) when an infected tick bites. The newer research information is scary.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”