Tips for filming a bear hunt!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Tips for filming a bear hunt!

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:21 am

It will be a few years before I draw a bear tag of my own but my buddies brother has a tag this fall. I am hoping to tag along this on opening weekend with my new beast camera arm and do some filming. What do you look for in a filmed bear hunt? Lately I have been messing with the camera and trying to do some filming of pre-season work and practice shooting and stuff but I just feel goofy talking into the camera or filming something that is NOT a kill shot. So if I am going to do some filming what sorts of things should I, or would you, include on a bear hunt to make for a good presentation of the hunt?

I know in another thread camera angles were discussed and filming pre-hunt and post hunt interviews. Anyways all tips and guidance are more than appreciated. Thanks guys!

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
ub1243

Re: Tips for filming a bear hunt!

Unread postby ub1243 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:34 am

get the build up of the hunt.
setting stands, state signs on the road, outfitter sign, 4 wheeler stuff, in the tree interviews, 360* in the stand, outfitter baiting the drums.
all this means nothing if you don't get the kill on video.
after you get the kill, get the B roll before the light changes. picking up the bow, drawing, lowering the bow, you climbing down. a lot of that can be done the next day if teh outfitter lets you.
shoot 5 times more then you will need.
during the interviews, pause. you may want to cut a portion.
set the camera up for the interview, roll teh LCD screen so you can't see yourself. you will look at it, and that will show on film. look at the lens.
you are still going to want a record of this hunt, even if there is no blood trail.
roll, roll, roll.
south jersey
Drop Tine Outdoor Realities
United Bowhunters of NJ
NJ Fur Harvesters
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks man. This won't be a guided hunt my buddies do everything themselves as far as baiting and scouting and stuff but I get what you're after. All of that helps and I will keep it in mind while I am the camera man. Hope the good tips keep rolling in and I will just print this thread and keep it in my pocket...

I once saw a bear hunt where they put a camera next to the bait and had it recording and got the pass through on film. The arrow came through the bear and stuck in the ground by the camera...I don't have that technology but it was awesome. Thanks for the help UB1243
ub1243

Unread postby ub1243 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 pm

that is just a camera and a remote.
easy to do, if you have a second camera.

go on vimeo and watch some heartland bowhunter. those guys are the kings of b roll and interesting angles.
south jersey
Drop Tine Outdoor Realities
United Bowhunters of NJ
NJ Fur Harvesters
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Filming bear to me Is a piece of cake. I've only done It once which was last year. I self filmed myself shooting my bear. What a rush!! Get a tree arm and aim the camera at the bait and have It In arms reach to turn on. If I can do It, anyone can. ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Damn. I guess I didn't read your post right backwoods. Disregard what I said. :mrgreen:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:04 pm

For my eyes #1 is nothing fake... I just hate when people send me footage with cuts edited in where they film pulling the bow back, or walking up to the animal with the camera on the other side...
Film setting the baits, talk about your bait choices, tell us why you chose the spot. When the hunt begins I want to know why your hunting there that day and time... If your hunter and you are in sinc you should be able to be zoomed back a bit asw he starts to draw, and then zoom in on the bear but not so close that he jumps out of the screen at the shot. Maybe fill 1/4 of the screen and leave more of a gap in front of the bear than behind, again so he dosent jump out of the screen.
Film the bear till he is out of sight or stops moving then pan back to the hunter and get his reaction...
After the reaction a recap of the hunt is good.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks dan! I was hoping to get up there with my buddy for opening day but of course WI is backwards as usual and season opens on a Wednesday. I may get up there later in Sept if he hasn't filled the tag already. I was really pumped to film but now its not going to work out for the opener sadly
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:14 am

I dont think if your filming over a bait pile for bear there is much to be learned by that video. Entertain me you arent teaching me a whole lot. There isnt a whole lot you can do to make a bear hunt worth watching if you dont tell a story. It kind of like watching bass fishing, or turkey hunting with a gun, nothing new. Its not hollywood to try and tell a story. If your just shooting it to show a kill thats cool but why would you not want to do a well edited short clip to tell the story if your there to narrate it or not. Everyone is different i guess, dan you are the king of different! :lol:
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 am

I agree with most of your response but dissagree with this:

I dont think if your filming over a bait pile for bear there is much to be learned by that video.

I think you might believe that because your not that into bear hunting as you are deer hunting... But there are lots of things to be learned about bear hunting, drawing them in in daylight, putting the baits in proper locations, useing the terrain to not get winded or circled, what baits to use, or avoid,... I could write a book on it... At some point in the near future we plan on doing a bear hunting tactical show... Not everybodys cup of tea, but the bear fanatics will like it.
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 am

I ran baits, hunted with dogs, not much to hunting over baits for bears. Find water, thick cover, near clear cuts, place bait for the tree that gives you best downwind cover. Establish with seafood grease so they track the scent back into the cover, so they pull more bears in. Mostly common sence, and knowing your land. I dont ever talk down to anyone doing what they like, nothing any differnet in decades to hunting over baits. Nocturnal bears need to be worked on a little, but its just a matter of not giveing them bait at night make them come in during day light or no bait. There really is no way to build any excitement with out some sort of b role. I do like turkey hunting alot, but not some much watching it, especially if it is just the hunt and no build up, with a gun. I did like your extreme turkey hunting clips I seen, but here in Jersey its illegal to move on birds or turkey sounds for obvious reasons, but I did like watching those clips. If some one ask me a question about filming hunts I would try to give them the ways I see to make a good clip, if they shot a state record and really wanted to show it off why not shoot a great film with a story. Dan you know I tell ya like I see it I dont just agree with anything, you have plenty of guys that will tell you they want to see raw footage like that but most would like it better if it is well put together. Take the time to put a story together enjoy it with friends and family for years after your under the oak tree.
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 am

I ran baits, hunted with dogs, not much to hunting over baits for bears. Find water, thick cover, near clear cuts, place bait for the tree that gives you best downwind cover. Establish with seafood grease so they track the scent back into the cover, so they pull more bears in. Mostly common sence, and knowing your land. I dont ever talk down to anyone doing what they like, nothing any differnet in decades to hunting over baits.
What's worse though Is when someone thinks every area Is the same.

Nocturnal bears need to be worked on a little, but its just a matter of not giveing them bait at night make them come in during day light or no bait. There really is no way to build any excitement with out some sort of b role.
Trust me, this won't work where I hunt. Care to take a guess why?

I do like turkey hunting alot, but not some much watching it, especially if it is just the hunt and no build up, with a gun. I did like your extreme turkey hunting clips I seen, but here in Jersey its illegal to move on birds or turkey sounds for obvious reasons, but I did like watching those clips. If some one ask me a question about filming hunts I would try to give them the ways I see to make a good clip, if they shot a state record and really wanted to show it off why not shoot a great film with a story. Dan you know I tell ya like I see it I dont just agree with anything, you have plenty of guys that will tell you they want to see raw footage like that but most would like it better if it is well put together. Take the time to put a story together enjoy it with friends and family for years after your under the oak tree.
Nothing wrong In the least telling It like you see It. A story going along with a hunt Is always the best thing. No one here ever said It wasn't.
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:10 pm

shultchzy, most of the bears that I ran baits for were in very low pressured areas, If I got a bear that was mostly nocturnal, it was mostly a matter of baiting early in the morning, so it would need to come in earlier then other critters.One bear I would go take the bait in the evening once he had a taste for what I was giving him.He set up his life within 100 yards of my bait sight, and was killed opening evening.If you wanted my bait you would come during the day, or I moved to another bear that would. I also never over baited, limited the supply once it was getting hit well and you had an idea of what was comeing in. I would like to know why it wouldnt work in mn?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm

UPbowhunter wrote:shultchzy, most of the bears that I ran baits for were in very low pressured areas, If I got a bear that was mostly nocturnal, it was mostly a matter of baiting early in the morning, so it would need to come in earlier then other critters.One bear I would go take the bait in the evening once he had a taste for what I was giving him.He set up his life within 100 yards of my bait sight, and was killed opening evening.If you wanted my bait you would come during the day, or I moved to another bear that would. I also never over baited, limited the supply once it was getting hit well and you had an idea of what was comeing in. [glow=red]I would like to know why it wouldnt work in mn?[/glow]
The answer to your question Is hunting pressure (at least where I hunt anyway). You didn't have It as you stated. I can't do this where I hunt. We've got people damn near every 1/4 to 1/2 mile and some a holes baiting on our same walk In trail. If we wouldn't keep our baits somewhat full they would go to the next bait. Sucks but It Is what It Is. Your tactic would definitely work In low pressured areas. We've used that tactic before back In the day when there wasn't near the bear hunters we have now. It works well.
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 pm

thats what i figured that would be crap shoot for sure. Most places I bear hunted there only a few guys hunting a would respect each other. Sounds like you have to hunt the other hunters more than the bears. Good luck this year bud.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”