Scouting in the rain.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
GRFox
500 Club

Scouting in the rain.....

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:45 am

Do any of you use the rain as an excuse to scout?

I didnt get to scout my highest potential hot spot in all the areas I wanted to this late winter.

Now it is closer to season and I am reggretting not having a better knowledge of certain areas on the property.

Would you think it is a bad idea to go in there tomorrow in the pouring rain, walk the whole property and look for bedding?

I really dont want to burn this spot as it gets virtually no pressure and I am the only person with permission. do you think I could hurt the spot if I walk some bedding areas tomorrow?

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Scouting in the rain.....

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Could you maybe hang some observation stands and figure out the deers route of travel then use an aerial/topo to make an educated guess on bedding? Then just hang and hunt it when conditions are right...hate to risk it so close to season...

To build off this, do the guys who use the rain to wash away scent believe that the harder it rains the better your scent washes away or does any decent amount of rain erase your scent?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm

With my low impact philosophy I would not encroach into the bedding area. If you don't know were the bedding ares are then you may have to walk about and find them. Preferably this would have been done 3 or 4 months ago. I would hang a few stands and scout from them as the season progresses you can move in on where you need to be. This tactic is best suited if you have only one place to hunt. If you have lots of places to hunt, boiling one out won't hurt. My objective for scouting, is figure out where the bucks and does spend most of their time, where they are going and the routes they use to get there and back. After a few years of learning your property you'll have a better understanding of what is happening, that is for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Could you maybe hang some observation stands and figure out the deers route of travel then use an aerial/topo to make an educated guess on bedding? Then just hang and hunt it when conditions are right...hate to risk it so close to season...

To build off this, do the guys who use the rain to wash away scent believe that the harder it rains the better your scent washes away or does any decent amount of rain erase your scent?

Great idea.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:56 pm

I think more needs to be know about the spot to say one way or another.

Sole permission is good for starters.

Are there any spots to set an observation stand?

Do you have any kind of plan yet?

Would a good look allow you to come up with a plan?

I have a new spot this season.
I plan to go and hang a stand........where I think the deer will come out to the alfalfa..if it gets planted...and it rains enough to make it sprout.....I am going to drive in close and set a stand and cut some lanes with a power pole saw.

Hunt it the first east wind that I can....then go from there.

I have all of my pre-sets to get ready, so I have no time to waste.
Once season hits I will hunt pre-sets when I do not have time to do a one day pack in/out.
Its nice to have stuff ready close to where I live and I can be in a stand in less than 45 minutes of leaving home.
I will definately hunt the stands with the best view first.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 pm

its important to scout in spring and have theses spots well know and have those trees picked out and knowing were your going to sit then when its time to drop the hammer you can exicute with precison, i hate going into a spot idont know nothing about or havent scout the spring early in the year, the rain is a good trick to use when scouting, this past weekend i put up new cameras and i planed it on the rain, and waited for it to rain then moved in and set the cameras
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:09 pm

I still use planned exit and entry routes but absolutely I scout, hang cameras, and check them in or just before a rain. I have one observation stand set that is in a lone tree in a fence row and I can see an entire 380 acre field from it as well as two wood lots within a few hundred yards. It is a perfect scenario I never cross deer and with my binocs I can see everything. Good luck
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Problem is this area is all hardwoods. I like the idea of an observation stand, but in the hardwoods I thin it will be kind of tough to see any good distance.

Im not blind to the property and I know exactly where to sit during the rut, but for early season I've got nothing. Maybe I will just walk the property and try to pin point suspected bedding with out walking through it.

Im at least going to hang a camera tomorrow.

thanks for the replies so far, hope to hear some more opinions.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 pm

GRFox wrote:Problem is this area is all hardwoods. I like the idea of an observation stand, but in the hardwoods I thin it will be kind of tough to see any good distance.

Im not blind to the property and I know exactly where to sit during the rut, but for early season I've got nothing. Maybe I will just walk the property and try to pin point suspected bedding with out walking through it.

Well, I am certainly not telling you what to do and it is a bummer that you didn't get to scout this past winter and spring. I fear you may hurt yourself if you go in there this close to season though. Does your property have any surrounding agriculture? You may want to wait until season and do an outside in approach until closer to the rut. You can learn a lot that way and not have to worry about messing up the rut for yourself anyway. Just an option.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:48 pm

GRFox wrote:Problem is this area is all hardwoods. I like the idea of an observation stand, but in the hardwoods I thin it will be kind of tough to see any good distance.

Look for some white oak or bur oak trees. Deer love and prefer those acorns over just about anything else. Great early season food source. Wont last long turkeys love them too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”