A Marsh in Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Footballer

A Marsh in Hill Country

Unread postby Footballer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:09 am

Our property is predominately hilly (more like mountainous) so I have very little experience hunting marshes. However, there is a pretty good size marsh (pink) deep in this valley. Just north of the marsh is a big hardwood flat. The green area is a 5 acre food plot that most of the deer in the area feed in. Would bucks bed in this marsh since its in a valley or would they bed on higher ground?

I've never actually hunted the marsh but everytime I have been down there I have noticed numerous rubs around it. I shot a buck in the saddle on the far left of the map and the buck went straight down and bedded in the marsh.

The wind is definately tricky in this spot. How would you hunt this spot? Would you hunt the oak flat above the marsh or actually hunt over the marsh?

If I hunted over the marsh, it would have to be during gun season. I think it might be a great spot during the rut.

headgear
500 Club

Re: A Marsh in Hill Country

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:48 am

Interesting spot, I would think the bucks would like to bed up high but they could feel safe in that marsh if they can wind the thermals comong off the hills. It could also be a doe bedding area and the bucks are marking it up with intentions of returning during the rut.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am

I have seen this scenario a few times... They will bed in both. Some bucks will bed in the hills, some the marsh, and some will bed in both. I would try and hunt right in the marsh or on the edge. Spring scouting of exact bed positions would give you a better idea of exactly where to set up.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:08 am

I hunt spots like that in N. Minn and have good luck hunting the trails that come off the hills and cut the edge of the marsh. I hunt right at the marsh edge where I can use the prevailing wind to my advantage. Have had best luck mid-aft to dark
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:11 pm

I hunt a piece of public like that. Last year I did one hunt on the N side of it when the wind was blowing from the S. About 9AM I had a decent buck come through checking a scrape line along the Northern edge of that swamp. He was moving too fast for a shot. I'm assuming that does typically are bedding in there during the rut and the bucks are running the edges depending on the wind, scent checking.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”