Milkweed Pods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dreaming bucks

Re: Milkweed Pods

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:45 am

Last year I had a doe about 20 yards downwind from me. She wasn't acting funny like she smelt me or nothing. So I pulled out a milkweed & let it go. It literally went right at her & 3 feet over her head. She just kept browsing... it was cool to see.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Last year I had a doe about 20 yards downwind from me. She wasn't acting funny like she smelt me or nothing. So I pulled out a milkweed & let it go. It literally went right at her & 3 feet over her head. She just kept browsing... it was cool to see.

That's awesome. If someone else was in that situation in head to toe Scent Lok, they would have thought they fooled the deer again :D
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:49 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:Last year I had a doe about 20 yards downwind from me. She wasn't acting funny like she smelt me or nothing. So I pulled out a milkweed & let it go. It literally went right at her & 3 feet over her head. She just kept browsing... it was cool to see.

That's awesome. If someone else was in that situation in head to toe Scent Lok, they would have thought they fooled the deer again :D

Exactly.... I don't own a stich of it....

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:21 pm

After my collection last year, it is easy to spot Milkweed everywhere.

If anyone needs any pods, I will be glad to pick and mail some to you. Should be mid-late Aug...early Sept the latest before they're ready. I can pick them green soon, early Aug. Just have to cut a slit in the skin and let dry out.

At any rate, if anyone needs any, they are everywhere around me this year, and I will be glad to get some for you.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:06 pm

BUMP
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Great Bump Backstraps. In the year I have been on this site, Milkweed has been the best "secret" Ive learned. My buddy and I now swear by it. I keep it in a plastic dip can with a small hole drilled in the top. It pulls out small pieces at a time. Its amazing to see how it works. It give me much more confidence the wind and thermals do what I think they should be doing.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Bigb wrote:Great Bump Backstraps. In the year I have been on this site, Milkweed has been the best "secret" Ive learned. My buddy and I now swear by it. I keep it in a plastic dip can with a small hole drilled in the top. It pulls out small pieces at a time. Its amazing to see how it works. It give me much more confidence the wind and thermals do what I think they should be doing.

Sweet idea on the dip can dispenser!!!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Bigb
That's exactly what I do. I like it especially on days where gloves are needed. Works like a charm.

I was driving home this evening and noticed the pods are huge this year. Must be due to all the rain we have had the last couple months.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:
Bigb wrote:Great Bump Backstraps. In the year I have been on this site, Milkweed has been the best "secret" Ive learned. My buddy and I now swear by it. I keep it in a plastic dip can with a small hole drilled in the top. It pulls out small pieces at a time. Its amazing to see how it works. It give me much more confidence the wind and thermals do what I think they should be doing.

Sweet idea on the dip can dispenser!!!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I like it!

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 pm

I bought some ground jerky that is in the same container just for that reason. I don't chew so I figured would get some use out of the contents and I didn't want the strong smell I though a chew container might have.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:08 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:

I bought some ground jerky that is in the same container just for that reason. I don't chew so I figured would get some use out of the contents and I didn't want the strong smell I though a chew container might have.

I am with you DEERSLAYER. I don't chew as well. I had a guy at work give me an empty can. It was all plastic with a metal lid. I peeled the labels off and ran through my dishwasher and it worked like a charm. Funny thing is, my wife didn't even question why I was washing a "Hawkins" can in the dishwasher....hahahaha I guess she has gotten to know me pretty well and it probably evolved around hunting.
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm

If your going to be near Miller Park in Milwaukee, there is a huge crop of milk weeds growing on the side of the foot bridge that crosses Miller Parkway. Just leave some for me :P
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:42 am

Dabowhunter wrote:If your going to be near Miller Park in Milwaukee, there is a huge crop of milk weeds growing on the side of the foot bridge that crosses Miller Parkway. Just leave some for me :P

Lol I saw that two weeks ago but didn't pick any! I've got some closer to home.
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 am

JoeRE wrote:
Dabowhunter wrote:If your going to be near Miller Park in Milwaukee, there is a huge crop of milk weeds growing on the side of the foot bridge that crosses Miller Parkway. Just leave some for me :P

Lol I saw that two weeks ago but didn't pick any! I've got some closer to home.

still plenty there. I was at the game sunday and picked two sandwich bags full.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”