trail cams - flash vs IR

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
magicman54494
500 Club

trail cams - flash vs IR

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

My main purpose will be to inventory and time pattern bears at bait stations.
I may use them for inventory of deer by using a scent attractant or mock scrape.
I'm not afraid of spooking the deer because one picture of each deer is good enough for me.
For the uses I listed is there any reason I need to go with an IR camera vs a flash camera?
Will the flash effect the bears because I will be hunting them right where the camera will be set?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: trail cams - flash vs IR

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm not a bear hunter so I don't know for sure, but I think a white flash cam would scare the crap out of them. I would never even risk it in a spot I planned to hunt. Even with a red flash IR cam I would do pictures only because I have seen deer immediately react to the red glow on video. Something you wouldn't notice when set to pictures only.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Magic, I think the flash will spook some animals... And worse, the bears it don't spook will investigate the flash and may eat or wreck your camera.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 pm

I have no experience with bears, but I just finish building a white flash trail cam. I set it out over night and got some great pictures. It didn't spook the deer from what I could tell and it was set to take pics every 15 seconds or so. I didn't get a single "nose to the lens" shot, but had some pics of them standing right in front of the cam. These weren't your average deer (non hunted property) so hard to say. The deer investigated a big branch I touched trying to remove it from view, put their nose right up to it. My friend with the Truth 46 is going to set his up in the same spot, will be interesting to see what happens. I noticed on another post here that a guy had 2 pics of a big buck and the sequence made it look like the buck was approaching the camera. However looking at the time stamp, the buck had bolted and was coming back.
I have seen the video footage of deer falling they are so scared trying to run away from the red glow of ir as DS has mentioned above. I believe with the white flash its on/off so fast they cant figure out where the source came from. All the ir cams have to illuminate their bulbs for an extended period of time and I know I can see it, why wouldn't a deer if he looked right at it? Also the ir cams that take color pics in the daylight have a ir filter that must move. I think this contributes to animals finding the source, as it makes a clicking/clunk sound. Dan uses a cam in the marsh bucks video and mounts it up high angled down. I believe he does it for theft reasons, but many are doing it for deer reasons. It seems it spooks the deer less then having a foreign object at eye level that is glowing red and making noise. It needs to be set up correctly, as its trigger range is not as big.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:51 am

Magic, If your looking for cameras for your bear trip you can borrow a few of mine if you want.

Let me know.
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:46 pm

In my experience with bear and trail cameras, I have used cameras with flashes and the only harm it has done to us is the bear tearing the cameras off the tree. Get yourself a good "SAFE BOX" And good luck !!!!!!!
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:19 pm

dan wrote:Magic, I think the flash will spook some animals... And worse, the bears it don't spook will investigate the flash and may eat or wreck your camera.

yes in ladysmith i had a bear destroy two of my cameras man was i pissed if one of those bears would of showed up at that moment in time when i discoverd them they would of been dead meat :twisted:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”