Intruding on a mature buck and still getting him

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
magicman54494
500 Club

Intruding on a mature buck and still getting him

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:31 pm

There are many different approaches to how to hunt a big buck. Dan is pretty much a one hunt and done guy (I don't want to speak for him so I hope he gives his thoughts) Then there is Schultzy who (again, I hope he chimes in with his thoughts) hunted a buck for several years many times in the same stand/area and had many encounters. This brings up a lot of questions. I'm not going to list a ton of questions but instead I ask that everyone chime in on their thoughts and experiences concerning hunting the same spot many times and success.
The reason I ask this is because I am really on the fence concerning setting out trail cameras. The areas I hunt are large blocks of woods where the deer probably don't see many people during the summer with some pressure applied just before bow season. I'm torn between staying away completely or putting some cameras in areas I would consider nighttime feeding areas. It would be fun to have pictures of the bucks I would be hunting and I would also hunt a bit different if I knew for sure there was a real dandy hanging around one of the areas I have set up. For instance I might hold off hunting that stand until I had optimal hunting conditions (weather / moon )
If you reply please include the amount of pressure your area has, the type of terrain (big woods, farm, swamp, hilly, etc.), public or private. Also I would like to know if you feel the rut played a role in getting a deer after intruding in his area multiple times.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Intruding on a mature buck and still getting him

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 pm

My main areas have more pressure than yours... That being said, they will tolerate more human presance in night time feeding areas. However, I would not consider myself a "once and done" guy... More of a percentages guy. I often hunt a certain buck, I hunt a bedding area and if he aint there I move to the next most likely rather than hunting the same bed over and over. On the right buck, I might hunt one bed as much as 3 times in one season, but thats not the norm.
If he ain't bedding there, your wasting your time hunting thetre and every day you continue to hunt there, is more days before the area settles and he will smell you have been there...
Percetages and timeing...
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:50 am

I hunt hill country and farmland, I use trailcameras alot. We can't shine here so trailcams tell me where the deer are and what I have to hunt. I use them on scrapes and feeding areas and on trails at the splits where I can tell where the bucks are traveling. With that said...Deer as you know all have their own personalities and some tolerate cameras and some don't. We ave deer we get multiple pics and multiples days out of and some we get just once.

I do know that knowing what your hunting helps keep you in stand and makes the hunt that much more enjoyable. It also helps to know if your wasting your time in an area or not. The one property if I didn't have cameras to help narrow down the area would be tough hunting because it is big open woods and the bucks bed on the neighbors clearcuts and not on us so hunting the bed isn't an option just the trails he takes in and out. The other is farm country where they travel through but don't bed so the cameras and rut help that property. Another property has it all and cameras help and haven't hurt there. All these properties but one have high pressure in and around it. The other one has moderate bow pressure and heavy gun pressure.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:53 am

I should also note that when I set cameras I where rubber gloves and boots and spray down to keep my scent to a mininum in areas that are sensitive to human pressure. In the farmland are which is the travel through and feed location isn't as important because there is always someone cutting hay working the fence etc. they are used to it.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:04 am

dan wrote:My main areas have more pressure than yours... That being said, they will tolerate more human presance in night time feeding areas. However, I would not consider myself a "once and done" guy... More of a percentages guy. I often hunt a certain buck, I hunt a bedding area and if he aint there I move to the next most likely rather than hunting the same bed over and over. On the right buck, I might hunt one bed as much as 3 times in one season, but thats not the norm.
If he ain't bedding there, your wasting your time hunting thetre and every day you continue to hunt there, is more days before the area settles and he will smell you have been there...

If you hunt a particular bed that the buck is in..say he comes out after dark or something and you dont get a chance to kill him - I think you mentioned that you dont hunt that spot again (at least for a long time) because he most likely smelled you and will move to a different bed..if you dont go back to that spot, how do you know he busted you and is gone? Is there anything that would make you think that he's still there and head back in there the next evening?
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 am

Let me ask this, how do you know if and when that buck is using that bed without intruding on his personal space? For example I can locate beds in january and february after season, but with out going in there an blowing him out of the bed, how can I know if he is bedding there during october?

Should I just locate as many beds as I can and set up on them and see what happens?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:26 am

GRFox wrote:Let me ask this, how do you know if and when that buck is using that bed without intruding on his personal space? For example I can locate beds in january and february after season, but with out going in there an blowing him out of the bed, how can I know if he is bedding there during october?

Should I just locate as many beds as I can and set up on them and see what happens?

We've discussed this topic on here from time to time..here are a few threads that I could find that talk about it a little..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3263

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2105
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 am

GRFox wrote:Let me ask this, how do you know if and when that buck is using that bed without intruding on his personal space? For example I can locate beds in january and february after season, but with out going in there an blowing him out of the bed, how can I know if he is bedding there during october?

Theres a lot of variables. The more spots the better, obviously! I don't think you need to blow him out of his bed to have a hunch he's in there. Trail cam pics can help a lot with this! Fresh big tracks leading into his bed could tip you off. Possibly shining him in a feeding area near the bedding area. Also knowing the buck's seconadary bed could pay off. I think the best way to kill him is early season when you can suspect he is in his bed that you scouted and whack him close to there in the evening. If he doesn't show, you can assume he wasn't in that bed that particular hunt and try again later in the season. If you see a buck and he's not your target animal you had hoped, then you move on to the next buck bed. That's why you need enough spots to cover your whole season.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:21 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
dan wrote:My main areas have more pressure than yours... That being said, they will tolerate more human presance in night time feeding areas. However, I would not consider myself a "once and done" guy... More of a percentages guy. I often hunt a certain buck, I hunt a bedding area and if he aint there I move to the next most likely rather than hunting the same bed over and over. On the right buck, I might hunt one bed as much as 3 times in one season, but thats not the norm.

If you hunt a particular bed that the buck is in..say he comes out after dark or something and you dont get a chance to kill him - I think you mentioned that you dont hunt that spot again (at least for a long time) because he most likely smelled you and will move to a different bed..if you dont go back to that spot, how do you know he busted you and is gone? Is there anything that would make you think that he's still there and head back in there the next evening?

If I have evidence he was bedded there the day I hunted I hunt there the next day / or days till he relocates but most often the next hunt he is not there. About 10 % of the time the buck tolerates the intrusion. As someone else mentioned, each buck has a different level of tolerance.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:35 am

This land Is private, medium to high hunting pressure from myself and my brothers wife and once In a while my brother.

The land I hunt Todd Is small, 120 acres or so total. Right around half of that Is woods and cattails, the other Is tillable land. What I think allowed me to have the many encounters I had with him the last couple years were my very carefully thought out "In and out routes" to and from my stands. I knew of 4 different bedding area's that him alone used and I hunted each one going on a hunch. Allot of times my hunch was right. I knew him well, that also helps out In a situation like mine.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:55 am

dan wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

If I have evidence he was bedded there the day I hunted I hunt there the next day / or days till he relocates but most often the next hunt he is not there. About 10 % of the time the buck tolerates the intrusion. As someone else mentioned, each buck has a different level of tolerance.

To add a little to this, I'm a numbers guy also...(you can take this with a grain of salt)...Each time I hunt a bed without killing, I know it increases my odds of a kill at different bed at another location in the same area.

This strategy or philosophy is know as applying controlled pressure. This is why I never hunt the same tree twice in the same year.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:53 am

This is why I never hunt the same tree twice in the same year.
What about the same area/location the tree Is In?
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Schultzy wrote:
This is why I never hunt the same tree twice in the same year.
What about the same area/location the tree Is In?

I will hunt the same area/location if I know a good buck is using it NOW....I may hunt the same 300-400 acres for three or four days in a row, bouncing around stacking the odds in my favor.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”