How many bucks have you killed that came to blind grunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

130+ bucks taken from blind calling ?

69%
1 or 2
28%
3 or 4
3%
5 or 6
No votes
7 or more
No votes

Total votes: 72
Jackson Marsh

Re: How many bucks have you killed that came to blind grunti

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Arrowbender wrote:Dan said
Calling blind is a "desperation move" in my mindset...

That's some funny stuff right there.

Would you consider turkey calling or elk calling desperation?

If you can sound like a deer and not succumb to the temptation of over calling;(frequency and aggressiveness) it is a very effective method of whitetail hunting. If done properly any deer within hearing distance; whether mature and swinging a set (antlers); may find it interesting enough to slip in to check it out.

If you read the posts in this thread there are many topics of interest. Several have had "mature" bucks show up while calling to a different buck. That is actually what started my "blind" calling obsession. Others say they never blind call. Huh? I wonder why it doesn't work for them. At least it adds to the 71% of the unsuccessful. Others have called them in without a shot or non-retrieved. I guess that was another non-success???? And most only consider it a rut tactic. Another swing and a miss. I believe one poster was surprised that does come to blind calling. Now that gentleman is getting close. He is sounding like a deer. He just needs to taxi up to the big buck bedding area a little closer and he will start to have a lot of fun.

But, that all being said............Dan is probably right. Last year I blind called in; and killed a Monster; and I am very DESPERATE to do it again !!!!!!!!!

Great thread though. Hopefully at least some Beasts will try to fully digest some of this info and glean something useful and be able to grab some antler this fall.
Happy Calling :P

I've been impressed with your success as well as James success in calling in bucks, you are obviously doing a lot right, and I am obviously not! Are you generally calling when you are fairly close to the bedding area in hopes that the buck will come your direction? Early season are you just light grunting just before prime afternoon movement? I can think of a few buck bedding areas that have multiple outlets and think in some of my setups this might be helpful to steer the buck in my direction. Do you do this in marshes as well as hill country? Is there usually a barrier downwind to keep the buck from winding you?

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:22 pm

On small private lots;( my usual haunts) I usually set up in a just off wind, just outside of the bedding area or staging area or sanctuary. And even out of his normal travel route if feasible. That way if he is not home or he doesn't buy in, there is a chance he won't figure out I was there. No guarantees though.
I believe its easier to get them to bite early season but you may have to get closer. But it's easier to get close because of the flora and fauna.
I just don't have that many try to get down wind. I am sure there has been a few that I didn't know about but I don't worry about it if I can set up on an alternate route that is just off of where it appears he is normally using.
And yes .... I call very non aggressive and infrequent.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
exojam wrote:Does anyone know of any videos showing the proper way to use a call? I have a Primos Buck Roar and have watched their videos but would like to see some that you guys think teach a proper way. Thanks.

James

James that is an awesome grunt call in my opinion. I've used that call to take one of my biggest bucks that I called to out in a field. I'd use the actual deer as something to imitate. You might google deer vocalizations and try to imitate those sounds with your call.

Mobigbucks,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will look around the interweb and see if I can find some good ones.

I tried doing the same as the guy in the Primos video that is linked on their page for that call but never knew what it actually sounded like to a deer, if one even heard since all my calls were blind. The funniest part was doing the grunt, snort wheeze. I am sure I sounded like a deer with his ba*** in a vice.

James
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:30 pm

exojam wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
exojam wrote:Does anyone know of any videos showing the proper way to use a call? I have a Primos Buck Roar and have watched their videos but would like to see some that you guys think teach a proper way. Thanks.

James

James that is an awesome grunt call in my opinion. I've used that call to take one of my biggest bucks that I called to out in a field. I'd use the actual deer as something to imitate. You might google deer vocalizations and try to imitate those sounds with your call.

Mobigbucks,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will look around the interweb and see if I can find some good ones.

I tried doing the same as the guy in the Primos video that is linked on their page for that call but never knew what it actually sounded like to a deer, if one even heard since all my calls were blind. The funniest part was doing the grunt, snort wheeze. I am sure I sounded like a deer with his ba*** in a vice.

James

The wheeze is a very easy and effective call. If you see a buck and he is going away from you try it (Rut)...It might surprise you what happens :D
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Arrowbender wrote:On small private lots;( my usual haunts) I usually set up in a just off wind, just outside of the bedding area or staging area or sanctuary. And even out of his normal travel route if feasible. That way if he is not home or he doesn't buy in, there is a chance he won't figure out I was there. No guarantees though.
I believe its easier to get them to bite early season but you may have to get closer. But it's easier to get close because of the flora and fauna.
I just don't have that many try to get down wind. I am sure there has been a few that I didn't know about but I don't worry about it if I can set up on an alternate route that is just off of where it appears he is normally using.
And yes .... I call very non aggressive and infrequent.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thanks AB!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:42 am

If you can sound like a deer and not succumb to the temptation of over calling;(frequency and aggressiveness) it is a very effective method of whitetail hunting. If done properly any deer within hearing distance; whether mature and swinging a set (antlers); may find it interesting enough to slip in to check it out.

If you read the posts in this thread there are many topics of interest. Several have had "mature" bucks show up while calling to a different buck. That is actually what started my "blind" calling obsession. Others say they never blind call. Huh? I wonder why it doesn't work for them. At least it adds to the 71% of the unsuccessful. Others have called them in without a shot or non-retrieved. I guess that was another non-success???? And most only consider it a rut tactic. Another swing and a miss. I believe one poster was surprised that does come to blind calling. Now that gentleman is getting close. He is sounding like a deer. He just needs to taxi up to the big buck bedding area a little closer and he will start to have a lot of fun.

But, that all being said............Dan is probably right. Last year I blind called in; and killed a Monster; and I am very DESPERATE to do it again !!!!!!!!!

Great thread though. Hopefully at least some Beasts will try to fully digest some of this info and glean something useful and be able to grab some antler this fall.

Comparing it to blind turkey and elk calling is a very good point because most people do that. I don't call much anymore, because I don't have very much confidence in my abilities to call. Even for turkeys I am calling very little the last few years. I guess success brings confidence and that is what it takes. I know you have a system that has provided a lot of action. During season some of the stories you tell are pretty good stuff even when you don't kill an animal on every blind grunt.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 am

James

Tactics for "Talking"to deer......by Peter Fiduccia the "Deer Doctor".......a Stoney Wolf Production.

It's actually a pretty good DVD
Buck Clark
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... ef=tn_tnmn

Unread postby Buck Clark » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:58 am

Voted zero, but I have called in a number of sub-130" bucks and shot them, and I missed a 150" buck that came in to blind grunting!
The situation is not the problem...how you handle the situation is the problem!
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:42 pm

I have never grunted in a nice buck or any buck for that matter...what has worked very well for me is the snort wheeze.

I have snort wheezed a lot of bucks in. Weather I intended to kill them or not.I would say it works more times then it doesn't. Out of all the bucks that reacted to it, I had shots at 4 of them, 2 two year olds, 1 three year old, and 1 four year old 143" 9 point who now resides on the wall in my living room.

Last year, I had a 2 year old snort wheeze back at me from 20 yards.

I think it works because unlike rattling and grunting, it isn't something that a lot of guys use. I blow mine through my niose, holding one nostrile closed and blowing through the other. Sounds just about identical to the real thing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 am

None over 130... a few of my smaller bucks from my younger years came to blind grunting, but those young bucks can be pretty dumb sometimes. :)
Treeshark

Unread postby Treeshark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 am

Zip, only one or two ever came in that were 2.5 y/o (a bunch of 1.5's though). It is probably the most self-destructive habit I have, to be honest- I tell myself every year that I'm only going to use it if I see one cruising out of range, but then boredom inevitably sets in and I start wailing on it like I'm Ian Anderson... I blame it on the former hardcore duck hunter in me (that sounds better than admitting my lack of self-discipline).

I also think it is a symptom of historically settling/setting up in spots that I'm not that confident in due to lack of scouting or laziness. I put in the work this offseason (still am), so I am entering the season with much more confidence that I'm in or at least near the X. I may or may not take it out of my pack completely to completely remove the temptation.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 pm

1st off, different animals and they can't be compared to mature bucks... 2nd, if I new where a mature gobbler strutted every day and could set up there and wait for him, why would I call? I have had mature turkeys turn and run from calls just like deer, so if I know he is coming my way, no, I would not call... So if I am set up where a buck leaves his bed to stage in day light, and I know if he is there he is coming my way and will have no clue I am there, why would I call? Just to give him a "heads up?"

True, and if I am not confident the deer will come in in daylight, or right to where I can shoot him, I would do the same, and have done the same.

If you read the posts in this thread there are many topics of interest. Several have had "mature" bucks show up while calling to a different buck. That is actually what started my "blind" calling obsession.

Correct, and if you read between the lines, I asked for bucks over 130 actually killed. This is because they come in alert a lot searching for a buck that might give him a whooping, or a hunters trap. Deer on edge are jumpy, stick to heavy cover thats hard to get an arrow thru, and are very likely to jump the string. Thats why the question was asked the way it was.

Others say they never blind call. Huh? I wonder why it doesn't work for them. At least it adds to the 71% of the unsuccessful.

I agree calling has its place... Never is a long time. However, with that said, the most successful big buck killer I have ever met never calls. Andrae never calls, and don't even own calls.

Others have called them in without a shot or non-retrieved. I guess that was another non-success????

correct... Again, they come in on edge, circle down wind, stick to cover, and jump the string more frequently than bucks that have absolutely no clue your there.

Awesome... however, if a guy sets up in the staging area the buck is going to walk into anyway, why call?
Now, if you told me you were hunting a buck on a hill country open point surrounded by crunchy leaves and couldn't get within the daytime movement window without getting busted, or that your bucks staging area was in view of his bed... Bring on the desperation move, bring on the calls, done that myself. Its just not as easy as tooting a grunt call and a stupid 160 comes trotting in.... If you look at the number of guys on this forum killing big bucks, and remember most call frequently during the rut stage, and most have probably called in a mature buck or two, the "kill" success rate is quite low as evidenced by this poll...

Happy Calling
How about giving some tactics for when guys are in that situation where they need some way to get that buck to come to them...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:06 am

Just curious, what percentage of the times you have blind called have you killed a good buck? I do agree a lot of hunters don't call much including myself. I did call a lot in my younger days of hunting though. In my opinion if I have to call to get bucks in close for a shot I need to make some adjustments to get get closer to my target animal. It must be understood I am a more passive (low impact) type hunter than most. Stealth is my #1 concern, calling gives up my position so I lose that edge that is why I quit calling for the most part. I will be quite honest, when I quit calling my success rate improved by a bunch. Great topic for discussion, everyone has a little different idea about calling.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:45 am

I only call when I see a buck that I want to kill. He has to be walking away where there is no chance he will come within range This is typically a pre-rut/rut type of situation so what do you have to lose? I've killed a couple big bucks this way. Other than that calling isn't worth it in my opinion. I quit rattling years ago because I have seldom had good results from mature deer on pressured private/public ground using the aforementioned methods.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:05 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I only call when I see a buck that I want to kill. He has to be walking away where there is no chance he will come within range This is typically a pre-rut/rut type of situation so what do you have to lose? I've killed a couple big bucks this way. Other than that calling isn't worth it in my opinion. I quit rattling years ago because I have seldom had good results from mature deer on pressured private/public ground using the aforementioned methods.

I think that is the best circumstance for calling. last time I did any calling was under those circumstances (2007). I always have some calls on me I use them as a last resort.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”