How low is too low.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
sticknstringarchery

How low is too low.

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:38 pm

I never really thought about this last year and maybe I should have but, I hunted out of 15' or taller ladder stands until my wife bought me my hang on stand as an early christmas pressent. I hunted it twice and killed one out of it.

I have it set up right now around 12 feet. I feel like it is too low when I sit in it. I thought about going up to around 18' or so. Suggestions anyone??

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: How low is too low.

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm

It all depends on the situation. If you have good cover you can hunt on the ground. Too high could be bad because branches get in the way. If you are in a wide open you might need to get real high. One negative about going high is your shot angle gets worse the higher you go.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:07 pm

It all depends on the situation. If you have good cover you can hunt on the ground. Too high could be bad because branches get in the way. If you are in a wide open you might need to get real high. One negative about going high is your shot angle gets worse the higher you go.

X2

Let the situation dictate how high you hunt, but if the cover is adequate the lower the better for me.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Depends on the situation, my stands are anywhere from 8'-25ft
When better is possible, good is never good enough
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:19 pm

I feel like I have good back cover. The front is wide open to the trail though. The trail runs from north to south and my stand is facing south so that I am on the backside of the tree. I have a really active mineral station about 50yd behind my stand to the north. I can see all the way to it if I look hard and over my right shouder. My hope is to be able to get them quartering away when they walk past me.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:31 pm

I got one buck that only uses ONE fencerow in farm country and my stand is 8' off the ground so I dont get picked out.... then I have timber bucks that work ridges that require me to be 25' off the ground. Every scenerio is different, better judgement will tell you if its okay! Good luck bud!
mossyoak

Unread postby mossyoak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:02 pm

A couple years back I was hunting late season and shot a doe out of a climber stand. The doe had came in with a group of 5 other doe's. The next couple nights the doe's would still come in but one was always looking in the tree and I was never able to get a shot at another one. So one day I figured I would try something new and no go so high up the tree and only when up about 6 feet. I was not able to move to a different tree because I couldnt find one big enough for a stand. Long story short the doe's came back in just as they did every night looked up in the tree where I usally sat which was about 25 feet. When they did no see me they cam right in and started feeding care free.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:59 am

Well, I moved the stand today. I went our to look at it from different angels. I was not happy with the back cover I had. I moved it to a different tree and it is now around 15-16 feet. There are limbs on the tree from my stand and I now have enough back cover. I also have a better view of every thining. Thanks for everyones opinions and thoughts. I feel it made me make a better choice. We will see come season opener.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 am

Hope it works for you.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:45 am

I sat a crouch stand that another hunter put up on a farm I hunt once in awhile (with his permission). He shot a slob out of that stand the week before. I climbed into it in the dark and when it got daylight I thought this has got to be the stupidest stand Ive ever been in. It was in a HUGE multi big trunk type tree, must have been 3ft in diameter. I wasn't but 10ft up. I sat there for awhile thinking no way did he shoot that big buck out of this stand. Then I spotted a young buck coming my way and it came by so close and didn't even think about noticing me. I could have jumped on his back I was so close to him, pretty cool experience. I had several other small bucks come by and pay no attention to me. It was obvious the tree was so big, I blended in with it. I didn't look like a 200lb squirrel in a telephone pole.
Pics taken with a cell phone.

Here is the small buck I mentioned.

Here is the tree I was in. FYI those stands are horrible for comfort. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”