Can I prune apple tree's now ?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
dreaming bucks

Can I prune apple tree's now ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:58 am

I dropped the ball this last winter and spring and did not get my young apple trees pruned..... I'm wondering if I can go out to the woods and do it this weekend ? Or is that not healthy for the tree ? I have yet to prune them ever, I planted them last spring 2010, and are doing really great, but I need to take of the bottom branches off.... Should I wait until they go dormant ?

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Can I prune apple tree's now ?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:22 am

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:26 am

yes, deerslayer is the expert in this case. However I will say it would be ok, as long as you use that black stuff over all the cuts, to reduce the possibilty of disease.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:34 am

Thanks for the link Kenn......

Ya, I don't know, the more I think about it, maybe I will just wait till next late winter to prune, but I do need to get out there and kill the grass and weeds around them..
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:38 am

I would not do them now, but that is just a gut feeling. There must be a reason they want you to do it when the tree is dormant, and they say around Easter is a great time. You want to do it prior to budding. Your trees are relatively young, missing 1 season isn't going to hurt anything. I would definitely get rid of the weed competition.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:47 am

Wow that was some great info Deerslayer. I too have a couple of apple trees in my back yard that I planted last year and haven't done much with, I will have to do some trimming this winter.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:51 am

I agree get rid of competing weeds. With the trees being so young you don't want them to have open wounds in the heat of summer. Definitely wait until they are dormant and prior to budding. That disease tape and patches and rubber coats and whatever they sell don't work save your money and wait to prune until the heat of the summer passes.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”