An MFL Experience

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DropTyne
500 Club

An MFL Experience

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:00 pm

So I just moved to a new part of the state and I am playing catch up on learning what open properties are around that I can hunt. Nonetheless I am doing my best around here even though I got a super late start and I thought the first thing to do would be to bust out the old map and take a drive to a few of the public properties in the area and poke around......

I found a nice hunk of MFL land that appeared to be pretty good so I thought I would drive out there. When I got there the person that lives in the house on the property was outside gardening. I decided to stop and talk with him. I first started with an introduction and told him I wanted to make sure the land was open....

He said it was open but it gets a ton of pressure from kids and squirrel hunters. He then proceeded to tell me he has a few permanant stands in there (per the actual land owners permission, he just rents the farm house) and he had problems with kids sitting them. He then said since it's in CWD there aren't many deer around, he also said the farmer next door allowed the DNR to sharpshoot the deer in the area 2 years ago (I thought they stopped the sharpshooting a while ago) and that did quite a number on the population. He then went on to say his brothers and him hunt it regularly but they also have alot of other land in the area that they can hunt. When I asked him about Buck quality he said that he thought there were no bucks around that area that were over 1.5 years old. He then told me that the overgrown fields (this used to be a farm) were not in the MFL program and that he uses them like a sanctuary because they are thick with shrubs and bushes.....

Nice guy and all but I think there is more to the story here.

What do you guys think? Is he handing me a line of bull to try and keep me out of there? I find alot of conflicting information here. "No deer, but you hunt it? even though you have all of this other acreage to hunt", "No bucks over 1.5 but yet the guy admittadly said he holds out for big bucks", "The land gets super high pressure, yet you leave certain areas that are not open for the public as sancuaries?"

Let's here the opinions........

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: An MFL Experience

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I would scout it and hunt it and find out for myself.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:04 pm

sounds like he's holding out on you...i know i would if i were him
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Sounds like he is giving you a line of bull. I would scout the land and give it a shot. You will never know unless you give it a shot, especially the first few weeks of the season.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:16 pm

magicman54494 wrote:I would scout it and hunt it and find out for myself.

X2
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:08 am

dan wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:I would scout it and hunt it and find out for myself.

X2

x3
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:14 am

Would all depend how many acres your talking. If it's 80 acres or less.....this guy is obviously hunting it, I would go on to the next propoerty. To much chance of him boogering up wherever you do decide to go.

If it's has more acreage and the guy has defined tree stands up already then go for it. He may not figure out where you do lan to hunt. Would be great if he showed you all his stand locations and use that to your advantage.....
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:06 am

yep scput it out and you will know, also try to verify the stands he talked about. make sure you know the proper way to enter the farm, if you call the local dnr they are supposed to have an access route given to them by the landowner in which they want you to access it. thats usually the killing point--access!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:10 am

With an idiot like that stumbling around in there... I wouldn't even bother. There is good stuff down your way... keep searching ;)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Most likely a line of bull. I've scouted several MFL properties in SW WI and have even run into an owner. Most owners are reluctant to tell you the land is open, but it is tough to lie when you have a DNR printout with a legal description to show them. Most locals are reluctant to admit there is good deer hunting as several (not all) MFL properties get pounded less than adjacent public land. I've had 20+ deer sighting nights on MFL properties in SW wisconsin.

Access is always an issue with MFL. Parking is too in SW wisconsin as I'm not a big fan of parking along side tight road after neverending blind corners on a Friday night in the hill country.

I've found the bigger pieces see more pressure. Smaller pieces you can have to yourself.

Looking forward to seeing you out there. I love the hills.
GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:20 am

I've head mutiple MFL land owners tell me the same story.

I've had MFL land owners seen my vehicle parked there and they are waiting for me as I exit the woods to check up on me.

Keep in mind that these owners are not opening up their land so you can hunt there. They are doing it for cheap taxes. Most of them really don't want them on their land and they will say stuff like this.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:55 am

The BS meter is going off for sure, like other said hunt/scout it and see for yourself. Like a lot of pressured land it should be pretty easy for a beast member to locate the bedding/gaps in the pressure and let those other hunters "stack" the bucks for you. Good luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:42 am

Some land is good, some is bad... One thing that always makes me shake my head a little though is the way people will judge a land they ain't scouted yet based on pressure.
Pressure might matter, and then again, it might not... I have produced some pretty big bucks and even found some great spots that produce year after year on public land under intense pressure.
The point is, you don't know if there are over looked spots, great bedding that is being hunted, etc... The guy might be telling the truth and he might be lieing... Wouldn't really matter to me, what would matter is what I found scouting.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 am

What your saying, Dan, is true but for me I would rather pick a less pressured spot than this one if the acreage is low.

If this is a 40-80 acre piece you still going in knowing this guy has stands all over the place?

You obviously shot a heck of lot more big bucks than me, so you know what your talking about, but there is something to be said about hunting with a "peace of mind" in less pressured spots.

If this spot is super dynamite and just screams "big bucks area" maybe worth it........maybe. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to move on. Just worrying about my truck parked near the road isn't worth the hassle.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:11 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:What your saying, Dan, is true but for me I would rather pick a less pressured spot than this one if the acreage is low.

If this is a 40-80 acre piece you still going in knowing this guy has stands all over the place?

You obviously shot a heck of lot more big bucks than me, so you know what your talking about, but there is something to be said about hunting with a "peace of mind" in less pressured spots.

If this spot is super dynamite and just screams "big bucks area" maybe worth it........maybe. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to move on. Just worrying about my truck parked near the road isn't worth the hassle.

I agree with Hodag - 40-80 acres with permanents alread built in the woods and a guy all over me when I'm checking it out. I might walk it if I was completely bored... but usually I have 6 or 7 spots in mind when traveling and if this is what I saw on initial inspection, I'd pass
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”