3-D shoots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Arrowbender
500 Club

3-D shoots

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 am

I shot my 1st 3d shoot today in a long while. I had a great time.
I was wondering how often you guys shoot'em and how serious you get with it. (special bows, sponsors etc...)

I just shot the hunter class and used the same gear I had in the tree with me last fall. I saw some others that looked a little more serious.

For those that care, I shot the Cambridge sportsman club event. Great course, good guys.
I am excited to shoot some more, so if any of you MN guys are shooting any in the future, post their location. I'd love to join in the fun.

GRFox
500 Club

Re: 3-D shoots

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:21 am

Last year I shot every single Sunday from April until September and let me tell you, I would put me and my buddies shooting up against just about anyone, 0-60 yards were chip shots after all that practice.

This year I've been working on most Sundays so I've only been shooting 3D once a month. But it is without fail the best practice you can ever ask for.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:32 pm

3D shoots are a ton of fun! My girlfriend and I try to make it to a few every summer.

Definitely good practice, and a good way to get out and shoot with friends..

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:12 pm

I shoot 3D quite a bit in the summer when I can. It's great practice to get ready for fall hunting but some of the scoring at certain angles is really not realistic for actual hunting scenarios. Hitting the 10 or 12 ring quartering away on a target would not be a real good killing shot in a real hunting situation. I guess I could score better sometimes but I would rather practice the way I hunt.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Dewey wrote:I shoot 3D quite a bit in the summer when I can. It's great practice to get ready for fall hunting but some of the scoring at certain angles is really not realistic for actual hunting scenarios. Hitting the 10 or 12 ring quartering away on a target would not be a real good killing shot in a real hunting situation. I guess I could score better sometimes but I would rather practice the way I hunt.

This is exactly why we RARELY ever keep score. Everyone in our group gets to the target, we all guess the range, then we range it, and see who is closest. Then we shoot and more often then not we aim for heart shots which is out of the "10 ring". Seems like the best shot on the target fort a real hunting scenario sometimes scores the lowest.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Ranging the target first is cheating....plus its not good practice. If anything range it afterwards, and everyone should keep their range guess to themselves until the target is shot.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:01 pm

I've don't shoot them very often, I don't even know if there are any ranges around here anymore. I would agree that the scoring rings are not accurate most of the time for the shot angles that are set up. The shoots I have done, I just put a K for kill if the arrow is in the chest cavity.

I used to know a few guys who shot a buch of them every year and would end up shooting a deer in the shoulder, right about where the 10 ring would be, and lose it.

There is a really cool shoot every summer here for traditional archers. This year was 50 targets, scoring is 10pts for a kill, minus 5 for a wound, 0 for a miss. This is more realistic to hunting situations.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Well for me it's more then a pleasure! I don't have enough occasion for it.
But, every single time I get so much fun...and my 9 years old son too!
And I think it's a good training because of the difficult position you must take...
For an tree-stand hunting is not very utile, but for approach it's just perfect.
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
mossyoak

Unread postby mossyoak » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:37 am

Last year I was able to shoot the 3-d range everyday before work but this year has been a bit of a struggle I still try and get out at least once a week and do some shooting.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 am

Spysar wrote:Ranging the target first is cheating....plus its not good practice. If anything range it afterwards, and everyone should keep their range guess to themselves until the target is shot.

Its not cheating when you don't keep score..... ;)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 am

GRFox wrote:
Spysar wrote:Ranging the target first is cheating....plus its not good practice. If anything range it afterwards, and everyone should keep their range guess to themselves until the target is shot.

Its not cheating when you don't keep score..... ;)

OK.....then your not shooting "3D", you are target practicing....

People seem to be confused about the two.

"3D" is a game, for lack of a better word. It has rules, and a score, and an outcome. You are "competing" against everyone who shoots the circuit. Similar to golf. The ten spot matters, that's it. A better "kill shot" does not matter.

Most clubs are relaxed and don't care, but there is a difference between "3D" competition, and shooting 3D targets for practice. No big deal...

GR, I still think it's better practice to guess yardage, then shoot, then range the target. There have been more times than not where I had to shoot a deer with no time to range it. Guessing than shooting prepares you more for hunting. It will show you where your arrow goes when you don't guess right. It will help you guess better, and help you know how much margin of error you can have on your guess, and still make a kill shot.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I used to shoot a lot of 3D over the summer, but not as much the last year or so. This year the mosquitos are so bad it would be tough to even stand it out on the course. That, and my Thermacell doesn't work either! :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:22 am

Ack wrote:I used to shoot a lot of 3D over the summer, but not as much the last year or so. This year the mosquitos are so bad it would be tough to even stand it out on the course. That, and my Thermacell doesn't work either! :lol:

Thankfully around here the clubs have been fogging the course's really good during the shoots and the mosquitoes have been really not that bad there, but everywhere else the have been unbelievably crazy this year!!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:57 pm

I'll have to say that the skeets and horse flies were fairly bad on Sun. but a little deet goes a long way towards comfort.

As far as scoring and ranging, I can't see the point of ranging 1st. Half the fun is practicing your distance judging skills. I didn't even bring the range finder.
I kept score just for a baseline to see if I get better. I didn't even turn it in. (not bad either ). I do agree that the scoring rings are not necessarily the best kill shots all of the time and often times found arrows I deemed to look "perfect" only in the 10 ring. I think that is where the guys that shoot a lot of rounds have the advantage, they know where the rings are.

Very good practice and very much fun.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:50 pm

I love to shoot 3d's for fun/ hunting practice. Guess yardage, shoot, then range it for keep sakes. Shooting to better my hunting skills is my main concern. But I also love to shoot for competition just to see where i stand from time to time. Me and some coworkers(they are mainly target shooters) will shoot for score and it gets pretty competitive-you could imagine if you all worked in an archery shop.....I had a chance last month to go to a week long training/learning seminar with dozens of vendors and employees which ended in a 60 man 3d tournament(everyone from beginners to sponsored shooters) in which i took 1st and won a mathews z7 extreme tactical! pretty cool huh? 8-)
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”