Muddy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Re: Muddy

Unread postby hunt n nut » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:48 pm

dan wrote:
muddy wrote:
Spysar wrote:So to sum it up, your technique is living in Iowa? :mrgreen:

How did you wind up in Iowa anyway? Born there?

I guess that's one way to put it. Yes, born and raised.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

THATS FUNNY! :lol:

But really not a bad tactic... I know a lot of good hunters who have done well by moving to where the hunting is great... Andrae is one of them.

That is funny :lol: I got called out to work this morning to the western part of the state and I just love the hill country out there, anyway I was thinkn' on my drive home, 2 1/2 hrs., back to the flat lands, how if I lived in the hills would I drive to the flat lands or upnorth to hunt? Seems like I'm always driving somewhere to go hunting :?

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm

I've sat and thought about the no harm intended comment of "so your technique is living in iowa?" and have come to a conclusion that even living in a trophy state, hunting "target rich" settings, and so on and so forth there is still A LOT of work going into each kill.

I have a couple buddies who hunt very similar locations in the state and don't have half the "luck" that I do. , I share ground with guys who can't seem to connect on anything ever.

Consistently shooting 4 or 5 year old deer that push the 160 mark the past few years didn't come by just climbing up a tree and shooting the first thing that came by. I suppose I have passed dozens and dozens of deer in that 120-145 range over the past 5 years that a lot of guys even here in Iowa would pound in a heart beat. One other thing that I think I have over a lot of guys is straight up DESIRE to shoot a true blue wallhanger and the PATIENCE to do it. I guess I'll make up this saying of "Treestand Frame of Mind" when I talk about myself? Each and every hunt I have it in my mind that I'm going to shoot a pig and from the time I wake up till the time I walk in the door and enter "Dad mode" my mind is thinking about that goal. When I leave the truck I am ready to kill at a moments notice, even if I'm walking in, climbing the tree, or taking a leak when in the tree. I don't day dream of a kill, I visualize that big mother walking under and I kill him with one well placed shot.

Without getting on a rant, I think that my #1 reason for killing big deer is attitude. I know I'm going to get it done, even if I don't know HOW I'm going to get it done. If you're like my one buddy who calls/texts me every freaking night wondering where to hunt, it's not going to happen, your mind isn't in the game and your confidence sucks. Don't get me wrong, it is rewarding as to help guys out and have them call me first when they shoot a buck and babble to me as the buck is standing 75 yards from them and tips over.

Anyway, my mind works sorta weird, I cannot concentrate on a subject at hand real well and I'm starting to drift so when I think of something else unimportant to type I will at another time. Just didn't want my thread to be the most boring! ;)

Remember, DESIRE, PATIENCE, and "Treestand Frame of Mind"

Back to my Black Label.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Just want to throw out there that I'm not a gigantic like my last post may come across. This sort of discussion for me would best be discussed around a campfire or something, I have no skillz in typing or getting my point across diplomatically on an internet forum. :lol:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Anyway, my mind works sorta weird

Mud, I noticed you didn't have a signature line on your posts and thought I would suggest this quote... :lol:

Actually, good area or not... Your doing something right if your knocking down 160 class whitetails on a regular basis.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:57 pm

dan wrote:
Anyway, my mind works sorta weird

Mud, I noticed you didn't have a signature line on your posts and thought I would suggest this quote... :lol:

Actually, good area or not... Your doing something right if your knocking down 160 class whitetails on a regular basis.

Excellent point.

And let's get it right... PUSHING 160 class. ;)

When I regularly knock down 160 I will then be doing something properly.

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 am

Muddy you aint got to prove nothing to me, brother You have allways impressed me with your aproach. You trap, bowhunt deer and turkeys, and spend the time to find sheds. You call bull, or question things that dont sound right, and dont just follow on threads, like most. You put your hunting into perspective with your family time, you seem to try to involve your kids in the woods. And for all of your work you are succesful, you and I are alot alike my freind, I enjoy my muddy threads! BUT i think our most common trait is that we cant get our point across on a keyboard! keep the good stuff coming bud.
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 am

UPbowhunter wrote:Muddy you aint got to prove nothing to me, brother You have allways impressed me with your aproach. You trap, bowhunt deer and turkeys, and spend the time to find sheds. You call bull, or question things that dont sound right, and dont just follow on threads, like most. You put your hunting into perspective with your family time, you seem to try to involve your kids in the woods. And for all of your work you are succesful, you and I are alot alike my freind, I enjoy my muddy threads! BUT i think our most common trait is that we cant get our point across on a keyboard! keep the good stuff coming bud.

Someone "gets me"! Yay! ;) That is a very appreciated response though, seriously, thanks.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:04 am

UPbowhunter wrote:Muddy you aint got to prove nothing to me, brother You have allways impressed me with your aproach. You trap, bowhunt deer and turkeys, and spend the time to find sheds. You call bull, or question things that dont sound right, and dont just follow on threads, like most. You put your hunting into perspective with your family time, you seem to try to involve your kids in the woods. And for all of your work you are succesful, you and I are alot alike my freind, I enjoy my muddy threads! BUT i think our most common trait is that we cant get our point across on a keyboard! keep the good stuff coming bud.

All true. X2.

I yeah I struggle with the conveying emotion, and meaning with the keyboard too....sometimes being honest makes me come across as a dik, and I dont' mean to.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:54 am

muddy wrote:Each and every hunt I have it in my mind that I'm going to shoot a pig and from the time I wake up till the time I walk in the door and enter "Dad mode" my mind is thinking about that goal. When I leave the truck I am ready to kill at a moments notice, even if I'm walking in, climbing the tree, or taking a leak when in the tree. I don't day dream of a kill, I visualize that big mother walking under and I kill him with one well placed shot.

Muddy....your reply is straight to the point. It's difficult balancing act these days, between work, family, kids, marriage and find time to focus on hunting.

This part of your post reminds me of a thread not to long ago, "Becoming a predator", singular of mind and purpose, honing your skills and focus of your senses, and being ready to kill on a moments notice. Visualization of the moment of truth, and making a clean kill.

Quote for the day:

Brillant minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Weak minds discuss people

Eleanor Roosevelt

Don't think your mind works weird at all....ya' look like a killer. :mrgreen:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 am

Dang..I just started threads on three people..... :lol:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Spysar wrote:

Dang..I just started threads on three people..... :lol:

Oh contrar....I believe we are disscussing the ideas and tactics of our different hunting styles. That would qualify as brillant. :lol:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm

So today I just learned something new. Well, not just learned it, but realized and then put my idea to use.

Listen to the landowner.

My one landowner has been seeing a nice velvet buck in the field by their house, literlly 50 yards from their house. Another 15 yards is a draw that I've never really considered that great, until today when I walked in while checking cameras and found rubs and one very large trail going around the backside of a marshy wet area. Went to another farm, yanked a stand, and came back and hung that little series of trails. I am literally 70 yards at the most from their house and stand a fantastic chance at arrowing a nice buck there come fall.

Landowners know their land, and the animals upon them better than you do more than likely, listen to them.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:47 pm

muddy wrote:So today I just learned something new. Well, not just learned it, but realized and then put my idea to use.

Listen to the landowner.

My one landowner has been seeing a nice velvet buck in the field by their house, literlly 50 yards from their house. Another 15 yards is a draw that I've never really considered that great, until today when I walked in while checking cameras and found rubs and one very large trail going around the backside of a marshy wet area. Went to another farm, yanked a stand, and came back and hung that little series of trails. I am literally 70 yards at the most from their house and stand a fantastic chance at arrowing a nice buck there come fall.

Landowners know their land, and the animals upon them better than you do more than likely, listen to them.

Sound good hope you get him. Houses and buildings do make good detours for deer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Stanley wrote:
muddy wrote:So today I just learned something new. Well, not just learned it, but realized and then put my idea to use.

Listen to the landowner.

Sound good hope you get him. Houses and buildings do make good detours for deer.

I think he just likes the hostas and petunias. ;)

huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 pm

No one has said it yet, so I may as well....we need pics!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”