Autum Ninja ???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JackKnifeJake

Re: Autum Ninja ???

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Wed May 11, 2016 12:55 am

I'm guessing these thermal hubs would be the more over looked areas in mountains, instead of the saddles and points that everyone else looks for on a topo map....

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 11, 2016 3:47 am

Great thread glad to see it brought up to the top.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 am

Stanley wrote:Great thread glad to see it brought up to the top.

I agree. Too bad the pics were deleted.
Nicholas buck

Unread postby Nicholas buck » Wed May 11, 2016 8:23 pm

I was hoping that was not the case with the pictures being gone forever :cry: .

Not having the pics was making it impossible for me to figure out why he was setting up the stand locations that far away from the thermal hub. Is that a situation tactic or was it based on the time of year the hunt took place( Early season/rut/late season) or another factor like food or wind?

Oh well, I guess i'll need to keep digging to find some more awsome threads on hill country set ups that are based on the different topo features that offer high percentages at a mature buck. I am new to hunting the hills of SE Ohio and this site is helping me understand so much, I love it!
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Awesome thread! I also wish the pics were there but still great info thanks!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Nicholas buck wrote:I was hoping that was not the case with the pictures being gone forever :cry: .

Not having the pics was making it impossible for me to figure out why he was setting up the stand locations that far away from the thermal hub. Is that a situation tactic or was it based on the time of year the hunt took place( Early season/rut/late season) or another factor like food or wind?

Oh well, I guess i'll need to keep digging to find some more awsome threads on hill country set ups that are based on the different topo features that offer high percentages at a mature buck. I am new to hunting the hills of SE Ohio and this site is helping me understand so much, I love it!

I wish the pics were still there but there are two reasons hunting in a thermal hub usually doesn't work. Sort of by definition its hard to get a consistent air current in a low area like that. Also bucks like to bed very close, sometimes within eyesight of that low area or sometimes down in the low spot itself. Ideally you can set up between bedding and the hub but if that doesn't work just set up on the travel route into and out of the thermal hub.

Every now and then I find a spot that I can hunt down in the hub, usually in bigger valleys with lots of cover where I can slip in and set up undetected and wind+thermals generally heading down the valley in the evening.

This thread was where I learned what this behavior was called. I remember thinking WOW I SEE THIS back in 2011 or 12. In the years since I have learned its very common in hill country.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:01 am

So what exactly does AN mean when he uses "HIGH" to describe crows foot. Is he referring to the steepness of the multiples slopes converging into the hub? High meaning more steep, closer together and faster dumping of scent through falling thermals?
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:16 am

I have to say it's worth at least one shot...whether you're in a rising/falling thermal hub. Even if it's not an ideal situation, it's still worth a sit.

I setup low on a falling thermal hub last year. I expected a buck to drop in from the opposite ridge according to wind that day. Two dropped with thermals, but one was actually from my ridge. He came within 20 yards at last light.

When you find a good FALLING thermal hub it's usually littered with rubs. I've wondered if the ones that have more sign are possibly mixing zones where multiple bucks core areas overlap. I could be way off, but that hunt made me wonder.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:50 am

Since we can't access our Photobucket archives I created an imageshack account. Here are some quick examples:

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:54 am

I'm sure Autumn Ninjas is a more exaggerated version. However, this is a good example of a falling thermal hub. You can see the area a deer can scent check from this one location.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 am

Here's a made up example of what I see. The buck, beds close to the falling thermal hub. This point is wind specific, located along the crest, and offers cover. He drops a short distance to the hub(pink) when thermals start falling. If he doesn't detect any danger he has multiple ridges to choose from for food. If it's during the rut he can choose which ridge offers the goods.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 am

Nice examples / clarification - hopefully these pics will stick around. Thanks for doing that.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:03 am

Great posts!! I always thought I understood thermals, but threads like this are teaching me that I knew very little.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 am

I think this is a more accurate depiction of a crows foot according to AN. I can't remember Autumn Ninjas example, so correct me if I'm wrong.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:34 am

Great examples Divergent.

Rising thermal hubs are not something Ive touched on much - in those locations there is the added benefit of usually being a terrain pinch point as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”