Light Into stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Light Into stand?

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Do you beasts use a light into the stand? Or while setting up your LW stuff? This will be my 1st year hunting beast style. Thinking about it now i have alot to do to that tree from 0 to all set up with everything. Sticks,stand,camera arm, bow arm,safty harness and most importantly, me :). Do you guys use a light when putting all your stuff together?

Zap

Re: Light Into stand?

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:41 pm

I use a light going in/out in the dark and to set up if I need it.....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:26 pm

I will use a light if there isn't any moonlight going in but I make sure to never use any light within 100 yards of where I will set up. Not sure if it will bother deer or not but I don't want to take any chances. My headlamp has a red filter over the lens and they claim that it is much less visible than white light to wildlife.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I use to not use any light, but had a couple close cals with poachers and now use one and just flick it every so often so anybody out ibn the dark knows I am human. I keed it pointed down and don't shine it all over the place. I don't use a light to set up and would recommend that if you do, you use it sparringly. Deer and people should be able to see your light from a long way off.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:20 am

use a princeton tech headlamp but sparingly like dan said
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:57 am

i use a $10 browning LED clip on light that switches from bright white to dim red....depending on where i am on the course of my walk i switch back and forth. Always red the last 100 yards or so to the stand....I go by moonlight whenever i can too
When better is possible, good is never good enough
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:48 am

As mentioned I use the moonlight if able, if not I use a light very sparingly.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 am

I have always used a light in and out...
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am

I've gotten pretty good at getting where I need to be without a light regardless of moonlight. If I need it I have one handy but generally just go really slow, take my time, and try to sound like an army of coons stumbling their way home.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:20 am

As I get older I find myself using it more and more on the way in but seldom if ever on the way out. I do sometimes do a quick surveilance scan around the base of the tree to ensure I have everything, but then most of the time it's lights out.
The more familiar the ground the less I use the light.
Probably a good idea on public though.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:22 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:i use a $10 browning LED clip on light that switches from bright white to dim red....depending on where i am on the course of my walk i switch back and forth. Always red the last 100 yards or so to the stand....I go by moonlight whenever i can too

So do I!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:22 am

If you are trying not to be seen by deer use a red light, they cannot see it. I was in Texas a couple years ago pig hunting and I had 5 trophy bucks come in to a water hole at 20 yards after dark. I could hear them drinking and wanted to get a look at them. I had a red varmint light on my bow and a red laser. I turned on the varmint light and shined it right at them for 10 minutes and they did not react at all. One was facing me and began to drink so I flipped on the laser and waved it back and fourth right in front of his nose and he had no rea tion at all. This experience proved to me that they cant see the red light. A few dead pigs couldnt see it either ;-)

Its funny though that my dog can see a red laser?

Anybody know about deers eyes? I have read that they can see yellow apples better than red? My dog is the same, she cant see an orange ball in the grass but can see a yellow one?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:21 am

GRUD wrote:If you are trying not to be seen by deer use a red light, they cannot see it. I was in Texas a couple years ago pig hunting and I had 5 trophy bucks come in to a water hole at 20 yards after dark. I could hear them drinking and wanted to get a look at them. I had a red varmint light on my bow and a red laser. I turned on the varmint light and shined it right at them for 10 minutes and they did not react at all. One was facing me and began to drink so I flipped on the laser and waved it back and fourth right in front of his nose and he had no rea tion at all. This experience proved to me that they cant see the red light. A few dead pigs couldnt see it either ;-)

Its funny though that my dog can see a red laser?

Anybody know about deers eyes? I have read that they can see yellow apples better than red? My dog is the same, she cant see an orange ball in the grass but can see a yellow one?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I thought I read once that deer can see yellow's and blue's.......
So don't wear a yellow raincoat bow hunting in the rain... :D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:42 am

I don't think they see red, but they would still see the bright light whether or not it was colored red. I have shined flashlights on them while walking and had them not run... I think the harm would come from a deer in the distance seeing a light wandering through the woods.... They used to make buttons you wear on your coat with a small flickering red light for safety. not sure if they still do?
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:57 am

I have come and gone a lot without a light, but as I get older, I think what if some clown is still in the tree and takes a shot at me? No deer is worth getting shot over and therefore I use a light. I use a green light and it will really light up anything reflective whether its some tacks or arrow wraps. I believe deer and other animals can see all colors of light, just some colors do not hurt their eyes. We used to put a colored filter on our lights for coon hunting, as sometimes the coons would close their eyes or turn their head away from the light. Think they are no different from us when it comes to our eyes being adjusted to darkness and then getting a light in your face.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”