You "think" you scouted the area

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
kenn1320
500 Club

You "think" you scouted the area

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:31 am

Just scouted this private land I have been hunting for years. This trip was to look for beds and rubs/staging areas. I decided to "track my steps" using my gps. I found the results very interesting. Note some areas are open understory, so I might have walked straight thru them and that's not obvious on this map. I tried for the most part to walk n/s in a grid format. I did jump a few deer and walk around to locate their bed. I can now go back and hit areas I missed, that if not for this tool, would have thought I pretty much saw most of it. Also note, I didn't use the gps or a compass to get my n/s bearings. I just kinda "felt" it and when I came to a field or area's in the woods I recognized, I corrected to what felt right. I also turned the unit on and off a few times towards the east side, as I went back to the car a few times. I cannot hunt that finger to the north, or the small square woodlot in the south east corner, so I didn't bother walking it. I parked north of that open field, where the yellow line has that funny angle. I went west at first to that corner and headed north, but wasnt tracking my steps then. I didnt start tracking till that green balloon in the N/E area. After that leg to the south, the route north and then directly east was the path back to the car. This is FLAT farm land, care to guess where I found beds?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
jlh42581
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jlh42581

Re: You "think" you scouted the area

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 am

I would guess you found the beds in the north west section, but i dont know what the wind direction is there on this day. youve got a ton of corners, with possible exit routes to multiple food sources back enough from the road to feel secure. either that or where you walked around in circles looking at all the beds ;)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 am

To the left of the balloon?

I like using my GPS with the ariel maps right on it. On one hand, it sucks to rely on an electronic device, but on the other hand it will cut your scouting down a lot. You can see yourself moving around right on the ariel. Mine has topo loaded on it too.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:38 am

Spysar wrote:To the left of the balloon?

I like using my GPS with the ariel maps right on it. On one hand, it sucks to rely on an electronic device, but on the other hand it will cut your scouting down a lot. You can see yourself moving around right on the ariel. Mine has topo loaded on it too.

What gps are you using spysar?

Great topic Kenn, I would be curious to track my own steps and see what it is I overlook when out scouting/hunting.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 am

Glad you found it interesting guys. I was a bit biased as I hunt this land a lot, but never looked for beds or anything beast style. I found beds in places I didn't think and fewer where I thought I would find them. I found several beds with deer in them and they contradict each other in my opinion. While Dan claims they bed based on wind direction, my deer appear to not care. I will say this however, Dan is targeting mature deer and its rare for me to see anything over 1.5yr old bucks. I didn't find any big tracks, but did find a dead 5pnt and a button buck. I didn't find any big rubs, but did find a few that were bigger then normal, but they appeared to be several years old. That bed is being used, but no telling what age buck is using it. The ground was hard around most of the beds, so tracks were not easy to decipher. If they were 200lb deer, might have left better tracks. Also in this type of terrain, runs in and out of the bed were not obvious. Dan pointed out in the marsh video how people tend to go through a woods the same way every time. I think this method of tracking your steps could lead you to see areas many would over look.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 am

I would of grid searched much smaller sections of that woods... Looks to me like you tried to cover the whole woods in one trip.
I think this method of tracking your steps could lead you to see areas many would over look.

Agreed... Looks like a great way to make sure you cover everything.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:55 am

BWs, I use a garmin 550t oregon.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:10 am

I would of grid searched much smaller sections of that woods... Looks to me like you tried to cover the whole woods in one trip.

Dan I did it all in one shot. I don't have many free days to get out scouting and felt I had a good handle on where to look. When I didnt find what I was looking for (area in N/E), I started "trying to grid" the rest of the woods. I did this on July 2, and the temps were 90 deg or close to it. I was in the woods from 7:45 or so till 3:45 so while I covered a lot of ground, I didn't run through it. This area is only around 140 acres of woods. The vegetation made it tough to see any great distance, and several of the deer I jumped I didn't even see a tail. The skeeters were horrible, but I still had a good time. I had a nice bed located and found a staging area about 85yds to the west of it. I thought jackpot, give me a north wind and I'm all set. Problem is I picked out my tree on the west end of that staging area, then as I walked south west of the tree(direction I would come in from) I found another bed. I will likely destroy that bed, so its not going to be used and ruin my chances of getting in there. I walked the woods and then went back to that staging area again to look at a different tree. Wouldn't you know it directly behind (south) that staging area 50yds or less was the bed with the old big rubs. I would have likely tipped that buck off on my route to that staging area. I will now have to swing wider to the west (direction I see most deer travel) to get into position, and with the close proximity of that bed, it will have to be early season while the green is still up. His bed is surrounded with briars, so he will have limited visibility.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 pm

:lol:

I usually pre mark spots I want to check out on my GPS before I go out so I can make sure I am covering everything. It comes in real handy, especially when your in large areas of thick cover.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 am

You can see yourself moving around on the aerial ? That is unbelievable ! I.ve always thought that be so cool. Guess I better upgrade my gps.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix Quote
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:55 am

Swampthing wrote:

I like using my GPS with the ariel maps right on it. On one hand, it sucks to rely on an electronic device, but on the other hand it will cut your scouting down a lot. You can see yourself moving around right on the ariel. Mine has topo loaded on it too.[/quote
You can see yourself moving around on the aerial ? That is unbelievable ! I.ve always thought that be so cool. Guess I better upgrade my gps.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

On the screen it will show your path just like the OP pictured above of your walk. Nice feature to have.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:26 am

OK, so lets discuss where I actually jumped deer that were bedded and given the wind/land layout why they were bedding there.

The red arrows in the upper left indicate the wind that day. It started off south west and then west. It was on and off short gusts. The RED dots indicate where I jumped deer, and all were single beds. I visually identified 2 as bucks and 1 as a doe fawn or a very small buck I couldn't see antlers on. I had 2 that just bounded off and I couldn't identify due to cover. I found other beds further from the edges, but dont know if deer were using them and got bumped without me knowing it. For the sake of this topic, lets stick with "known" bedding.

Field to the west where the 2 red dots are is Oats/wheat (sorry I don't know) and the square field to the east with the 1 dot is beans.

Lets here your theory's about wind direction and how these deer did or didn't use it to their advantage. Also note I basically traveled east to west direction, so only the bed on the sqaure field would have been able to "smell" me, yet that was the closest deer I got to before he bolted out and stopped looking at me for a short time down wind of me.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:07 am

Nobody has an opinion?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:55 am

Kenn were these mature bucks or your average 1 and 2 year olds? It can be hard to tell what is down there from an aerial.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 am

One of them "might" have been a 2.5yr old, but I rarely ever see anything over 1.5yr old. I'm trying to understand how deer use the wind to bed, and I see no rhyme or reason why they bedded where they did in terms of the wind? It would appear to me they could care less which way the wind blows, they are bedding around the edges of this woods so they can detect humans and run back into the woods to avoid them. I think the reason I got so close to all these deer was I approached them from "in the woods" which is not typical for them this time of year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”