Property I am keying in on. Public land

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
GFY Camp

Property I am keying in on. Public land

Unread postby GFY Camp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 am

First off I want to make my goals this year clear.

I’ve watched both the Hill County and Marsh Video’s this summer. Hopefully I’ve learned a thing or two.

After hunting iffy privately owned lands the last few years I’ve decided to totally change my perspective for this year. I am going to hunt 100% public land where I have flexibility instead of hunting private land where I was limited to what the land was capable of.

Therefore I want to start slowly and get some meat in the freezer first. I would consider my season a success by whacking a few does and filling my freezer on public land. Having said that, a buck would gravy. So my thought is to set up in places for early season that give me the best chance of killing deer in general, not necessarily a buck to start with. I think I need it mentally to just kill something to get the pressure off my back. I’ve been skunked the last two years on these private lands I speak of.

Then after hopefully some meat is in the freezer keying in on buck bedding spots and trying to kill him.

On the following maps:

Blue outline is the area I’m trying to key in on. It appears to have good deer densities in the area. It is also nestled between two private pieces of land that are farms.

Orange is the private land boarders.

I’ve marked up some spots funnel spots to hopefully ambush some does. I also marked up some potential buck bedding spots I believe. I think deer will be bedding also generally in thicker parts of the swamp directly to the east of point B and N.

Point A Nice little open area that everything comes together. Could provide multiple access points that and set up sides that could allow for hunting it on different winds directions. Might be too close to the road which may mean too much hunting pressure from others and may also be too far away from bedding grounds. Found a couple heavily used trails that dump into the funnel. Doubtful you would see a mature buck here in daylight but I think but this could be a doe spot.

Point Q Appears to be a major funnel/travel intersection spot. This spot has many heavily used trails that converge on this spot. I also think a buck may bed to the south around the bend in the swamp. (you can see it only on the aerial view.)

Point B I have not been here yet. But I’m thinking this saddle point may be a spot to set up in to catch a deer coming out of their bed in the swamp.

Point N Same thing as B expect it also may be a travel point to cross the swamp more easily thus providing a funnel.

Point J= I have not been there yet but I think this really could be a good spot. I think a buck could bed just to the north on the point. There is also the swamp edge funnel there.

Point G = Potential Buck bedding spot for a West Wind?

Point P = Potential Buck bedding spot for a East Wind?

I’m sure I’m missing spots or may be marking spots that don’t provide the best chance to ambush.

.Any help with better ambush spots and potential bedding areas would be great. Both for bucks and does.

I’ve blocked out any info that might give the location away just to keep from posting publically due to it being public land. However, if Dan or anyone else that regularly posts here that would like to comment I would be happy to provide the location in Private messaging so the bird’s eye view in Bing maps or other info can be looked at.

Thanks again.

[thumbnail]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5273/5904739707_4ae01213f5_b.jpg[/thumbnail]

[thumbnail]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/5905298462_17eec0bc77_b.jpg[/thumbnail]

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Property I am keying in on. Public land

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 am

I really have a hard time giving advice on deer hunting in general... My focus has always been on the biggest bucks, when I am looking for a doe, I shoot one while buck hunting. I could show you where and how I would focus, but it sounds like our goals clash.
GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:35 am

I figured that may be the case Dan.

I would still appreciate to know what you think about potential buck beds locations and potential stand sites for mature bucks. I’m still hoping to perform some beast tactics this fall on this property.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:46 am

I will try and look at it tonight, I am at work right now.
Seems to me like your true goal might actually be to shoot big bucks but you feel beaten because of non-opertunity.
If I were in your shoes, I would maintain a goal of hunting the best spots for big bucks but I think it might be a good idea to shoot a deer ( any deer ) when it shows up. Hunting is supposed to be fun, not fustrating.
GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:57 am

dan wrote:I will try and look at it tonight, I am at work right now.
Seems to me like your true goal might actually be to shoot big bucks but you feel beaten because of non-opertunity.
If I were in your shoes, I would maintain a goal of hunting the best spots for big bucks but I think it might be a good idea to shoot a deer ( any deer ) when it shows up. Hunting is supposed to be fun, not fustrating.

Bingo, you hit it Dan.

It's (was) frustrating due to feeling tied down to the private land. As you said, hunting is supposed to be enjoyable. And it wasn't last year.

Made it a point this year to go 100% public in bigger chunks of land instead of a small private property that doesn’t provide many options. At the same time, I need to learn different techniques to be successful with the different type of property. Your videos helped a lot.

I want to shoot something just to get some momentum for lack of a better term. I wasn't sure if hunting the big buck spots but planning on shooting anything was a good idea and end up ruining that spot if you know what I mean. I thought perhaps to lay back, shoot a doe and then hit the good buck spots. I value your suggestion to hit the good spots right away and not to be picky.

Thanks Dan. I look forward to your comments.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 am

I would take a close look at the areas I highlighted. You could start by walking the transition line ( marked in red) and following the trails into the swamp and finding the beds, or you could just hunt over the buck trails coming out along that transition this year and scout it next spring.

GFY Camp

Unread postby GFY Camp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:10 pm

So nothing to the west of my point G interests you?

I don't want to read into your post but I get the feeling you don't think there are a ton of good areas that will hold mature bucks on this property. One of the reasons I selected this area is because the deer densities are solid in this area and it is nestled between the two private lands with food sources.

If you were looking for a property on public land. How do you select the property you work on over thousands of acres (Kettle Moraine SF)?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:25 pm

So nothing to the west of my point G interests you?

I wouldn't say that... I just pointed out what is obvious to me as likely being a big buck area. There could be other good spots like south of that pond, but my immeadiate focus would be the area I marked.

If you were looking for a property on public land. How do you select the property you work on over thousands of acres (Kettle Moraine SF)?

Over looked, or hard access. Cattail marshes are great. Areas that cannot be effectivly driven by gun hunters and deer will have a chance to grow up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”