South Jersey Turtles

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

South Jersey Turtles

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:42 am

Ran along with my buddy runnin his turle line this morning. 7 keepres and a few throw backs. My first time on a turle line. I was able to get 60 good minutes on video of him setting, catching, trap building, ect. Good times. Image Image Image Thanks alot for letting me tag along there T-Buddy!

You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: South Jersey Turtles

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:48 am

Nice! I was starting to think no one caught turtles anymore! 8-)
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:59 am

dan wrote:Nice! I was starting to think no one caught turtles anymore! 8-)
1.50 a lb for females, 1.00 a pound males, about 200lbs in that pic. 4 big females, good day!
You can take a Yooper out of the U.P., but you cant take the U.P. out of the Yooper. www.droptineproductions.net
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Who buys the turtles? Also, do you kill them right away? A friend told me the meat is best when you keep them alive for a day or two feeding them just lettuce so they crap out all the stuff they've eaten and then they taste better...not sure if that is valid or not so what do you guys do?

Awesome post and pics though look fun!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:55 pm

You sell them to a middle man that sells them to resturants for snapper soup, and other snapper meals. You deliver them alive, not sure if they would buy them dead. We know a guy that is haulin in 500-700lbs a day right now!
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 am

We used to have a snapping turtle feed twice a year at my Grandpa's growing up. The whole family, cousins and all. It was quite the gathering. This Grandfather was not a outdoor type. No woodsmanship to him at all. Just taverns and card games and he knew them well. There was a old farmer that he knew that trapped all up and down the Crawfish, Rock, Bark, and Kosh Creek, etc. That is where he got them, already butchered. A few years ago I talked with his kid who is a year older than me, recalling those days and chatting him up about it. Turns out his old man was a turtle poaching mad man, and almost all those turtles we ate were all taken.... illegally. Ha. Old farmer trying to make a quiet few extra bucks. Apparently he used to have a big water trough with a artisian well rigged into it and dumped into a creek. The turtles would sit in that for almost a week to clean their guts and flesh out. No food, just cold clean spring water. Then he would butcher them. Just going by what he told me. They were good though. We rolled it in cornmeal then fried it. But it was cordy and tough, some pieces more than others. It has been almost 20 years since I had it I bet. I may have to find someone to poach me one, just like the old days.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
ub1243

Unread postby ub1243 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:58 pm

looks like work.
can't wait to see the edited video.
adam works his but off with those things.
south jersey
Drop Tine Outdoor Realities
United Bowhunters of NJ
NJ Fur Harvesters

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”