Off season deer hunting...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Off season deer hunting...

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 pm

i usually like to shot bigger than those.Id probably let all of them walk.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Haus86 wrote:I would shoot 2,3, and then 1 given their frame sizes.

Me too! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:13 pm

I would have went 2-3-1 based on what I thought was oldest to youngest, but if I went by rack I would have went 1 then a toss up between 2 & 3. However, when I got a better look at #1 he would have been first regardless of age and I probably would have went 2 just due to shear body size then 3.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:19 pm

I shoot a single shot so I'd pick #2 since he looks the oldest. He has the widest space between his antler bases. An old timer told me if you can fit all four of your fingers between the rack he is most likely 4 years old or better. I'd let the other two walk and grow another year. I know the others score high but just look like they need one more year. Its hard to tell though because body size and belly sag also contribute to the judgement of age.

With that being said, any of them by themselves would most likey get a slug.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 am

2 - 1 - 3

all VERY nice deer, Dan.

2 appears the oldest and has a huge neck and body, and would take him first if given the opportunity :D
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:14 am

I'd shoot 2, 1, 3. Because that was how the question was worded, but If it was a real situation I'd only shoot #2, then be done. I like the width and mass of #2, true slob.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:50 am

If I had 3 permits, I would shoot all three... Call me greedy, but thats the hunt of a lifetime, and if not shot each one of those bucks would likely die of old age.
"GREEDY" is when you start piling up immature bucks in my book..
I don't think any one of those bucks would of grown much larger.

I can see shooting #2 before one if your not in it for score... Its a much more impressive animal even at 20 inches smaller, but taking #3 before #1 ? Once you know that there is a 40 inch differance I don't think I would think twice.
Yes. There is more to it than score. But really, everyone has a 140's or 2 on the wall... How many have a 180's???
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 am

Im gonna be the odd ball here... Im shooting number 3 first bc I LOVE giant 8's, then #1, then #2

So 3,1,2 for me.... Sure the mass and width is impressive but character and tine length draw me to the others first. I know mass is usually what carries a deers score up there along with number of points but Ive always had a thing for big 8's and hes a dandy!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:09 am

just for conversation, I would shoot 2, 3, 1 .........

But in a real life situation like this, I just don't think I would shoot two of them, let alone all three..... Sure, it might be the hunt of a lifetime, but what about the neighbors, or brother or son getting a crack at the other two I didn't shoot ? I don't know, maybe that's just me, but I would really like to believe I would only pick out the nicest one in my eyes ( #2 ), and let the others walk, and hope that someone else gets a shot at one of those nice bucks.... I'm sure everyone is different on that situation, but that's my $ .02

Dan....
Maybe you should start a poll on whether one would shoot all 3 if you had 3 tags....... Like I said, I'm sure everyone is different, but I would only shoot one... It probably also matters if you hunt private land, where you are sorrounded by people you know and hunt with, vs hunting on public hunting land, where you don't know anybody out there next to you.....
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:13 am

man thos are nice bucks... im shooting them all in what ever order I can! wow... that would be fun wouldnt it!

we could only shot 2 of the 3 in my state, and thats only if we had already shot 2 does to be legal.

I like #2.... alot! :)
You can't kill em on the couch
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:35 am

You just about have to shoot #2 first.

Amazing how a photos can be deceiving, I never would have guessing the score difference between 1 and 3. If they were all moving together through the woods I would hope you would get to see some different angles and take number 1 first but in this photo 3 looks more impressive for some reason.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:16 am

maybe that's the case in SE WI, but in lots of areas of the USA there are plenty of deer hunters who go years and never put a tag on a 140 inch deer

All of your deer are very impressive, I would be thrilled to bag any of them

dan wrote:....
Yes. There is more to it than score. But really, everyone has a 140's or 2 on the wall... How many have a 180's???
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:37 am

A little late but my order would be 2-1-3. Nice bucks
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 am

2,3,1. i care more about how a deer is framed than the score, dont care what it scores, 3 appears framed bigger than 1 an thats why i would shoot that 1 first at least at this angle/profile. 2 is definately first choice even if it was a 6 pointer or 4 point, maybe then even mores so, hahahaha.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:44 am

I'm pretty sure #1 is this deer, I'm think a lot of people might think about changing their order if they saw this angle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”