Bucks Entering and Exiting Beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Bucks Entering and Exiting Beds

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:22 am

I was just thinking about the yesterday, great bump. What about beds in heavy cover such as cattails or sawgrass (the 8' tall weeds that grow in our southern marshes)? These beds seem non-wind specific - more circular than bean shaped. They also tend to have a heavy wall of grass to the backside of the bedding obstacle. The wall is generally 180 degrees surrounding the bed & then the other 180 degrees is slightly more open. It's apparent they are only entering from the open side due to trails. So in a non-wind specific bed like this could you predict bed use by morning wind direction & via the limited access? Here's an example, the orange/yellow is just my scouting track, buck bed mark with yellow pin, red is 8' tall sawgrass patch, blue is what the buck can see while bedded, & green are trails either access or exist.

Pic of bed from 180 open facing 180 wall of grass

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:28 am

I used to think a lot of deer entered buck beds with wind to back... But after looking more careful the last few years I am convinced that the scenarios I saw of bucks coming in wind to back were mostly still J_hooking to the bed just that it was a small J-hook that was out of my vision... After a talk/disagreement with Andrae on the subject, I went and looked at a few beds where I saw wind to back movement, and was able to find where they J-hooked. I cleaned up the thread and removed some of my comments from back in 2011 so as not to confuse anyone... I would still not say "never" or "always" but my investigating proved me wrong in each case.

Cbigbear,
If you can determine that the buck has his back to an obstacle, I would expect him to be bedding there with wind coming from the obstacle.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:16 am

dan wrote:
Cbigbear,
If you can determine that the buck has his back to an obstacle, I would expect him to be bedding there with wind coming from the obstacle.

By the looks of that bed, I'd have to guess he's there with the prevailing winds, if not regardless of wind direction. Good find!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:14 am

dan wrote:I used to think a lot of deer entered buck beds with wind to back... But after looking more careful the last few years I am convinced that the scenarios I saw of bucks coming in wind to back were mostly still J_hooking to the bed just that it was a small J-hook that was out of my vision... After a talk/disagreement with Andrae on the subject, I went and looked at a few beds where I saw wind to back movement, and was able to find where they J-hooked. I cleaned up the thread and removed some of my comments from back in 2011 so as not to confuse anyone... I would still not say "never" or "always" but my investigating proved me wrong in each case.

Dan, I've had the opportunity to watch two bucks go to bedding in the hills. Both times, they came in from the bottoms, j-hooking, then went above their bed, circling back down into it. I've suspected they did this to keep their scent trail to their back side in case they miss something trailing them from low.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 am

checkerfred wrote:
dan wrote:I used to think a lot of deer entered buck beds with wind to back... But after looking more careful the last few years I am convinced that the scenarios I saw of bucks coming in wind to back were mostly still J_hooking to the bed just that it was a small J-hook that was out of my vision... After a talk/disagreement with Andrae on the subject, I went and looked at a few beds where I saw wind to back movement, and was able to find where they J-hooked. I cleaned up the thread and removed some of my comments from back in 2011 so as not to confuse anyone... I would still not say "never" or "always" but my investigating proved me wrong in each case.

Dan, I've had the opportunity to watch two bucks go to bedding in the hills. Both times, they came in from the bottoms, j-hooking, then went above their bed, circling back down into it. I've suspected they did this to keep their scent trail to their back side in case they miss something trailing them from low.

I have seen the same thing twice this year in the same bedding area. Bucks came straight up the ridge with strong wind to back and hooked to the bedding. One of the bucks is no longer with us and the second bigger one narrowly escaped.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”