Private Funnel Buck

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
cavicity2

Private Funnel Buck

Unread postby cavicity2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:37 am

I have had permission to hunt a 40 acre plot for the past 3 years. Half of the property is a field (corn) and the rest is a ridge with woods. A topo and aerial map are at the provided link. I also added a few trail cam pictures, which is the motivation for the question (dates are wrong, sorry, all early June pics).

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/recei ... NXLhs1aObg

I set up a mineral site on the blue dot with my trail cam. This particular buck has been to the mineral site as much as three times per day during shooting hours. I couldn't find a bed on the property, but I suspect he is bedding just west of the property line due to the daytime frequency and the thick cover available. The mineral site is in a clearing of the pine trees (I set up my treesling south, which is towards the wheat field).

I'm looking for suggestions on how to hunt this buck as early as possible, if he is still around. A couple other things to note about the property/witnessed deer movement:

-Wind is usually out of the west or SW/NW.
-I've seen plenty of does walk through the main trail
-There are a couple huge oak trees just east of the pines
-There is a less worn path which goes down from the clearing to the corn field
-There are plenty of rubs on the field edges, but only a few on the main trail
-There is a yahoo clearing out maple and ironwood towards the middle of the woods section of the property. This has been ongoing for a few years. Not a clear cut, the the brush will get knee high with the canopy reduction.

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Private Funnel Buck

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 am

Check out the Hill Counrty video that Dan has in the store it will help you alot ;) You will have to watch it several times to take it all in. Great video!!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:20 am

Just from my past experiences I wouldn't bank on that buck showing up during shooting hours at a mineral site once the season is open, they become a totally different animals after that velvet comes off.

If it were me I would setup on him as close to the property line as possible to get closer to his suspected bedding. If the wind was from the SW I would enter and hunt just North of the trail you think he will take onto the property. I don't have much hill experience but watch your thermals on your way in, they could tip off the buck and you would never see him. Can you put up an expanded topo map? It might help pinpoint his bedding area.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 am

Based on that topo my bet would be that the buck is bedding West of the property line. The spot where you have the mineral and trailcam is in the worst spot it could be in if you ask me... That is a hunting position based on the elevation and perceived bedding. Your getting pretty lucky with that buck coming in in daylight but the human scent your getting in that area will eventually most likely cost you. Both the trail cam and the minerals would be on a field edge if it were me, and the spot where you have them now would be an ambush point later and my scent, camera, and minerals would be no where near there right now.
I suspect the buck is bedding to the west of the property line on the same elevation where your getting the pictures. I would think you have two chances at him if he is not spooked before season. One early season around the opener ( if you open in September, not sure on your state ) when the buck passes through the pines to feed in the oaks. and then again during the rut when that elevation will become a rut cruising funnel.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Is the river N in the topo?

You have already educated the buck... but you needed the photos to confirm there was one worth hunting! I agree with Dan, where the mineral site is currently is a great ambush site - narrowing timber with transition from one cover to another (pine/timber) + bedding areas to both the East (big timber) and West (along thicker pockets near the river)...

How wide is the gap between the cornfield and the timber? Have you ever sat in the very South East corner of the 40 you have outlined? It is lower elevation but it is an inside corner on a larger block of timber. Your nutty neighbor to the east clearing trees is doing you a huge favor... he is disturbing the deer on a neighboring property and creating a smorgushborg of new lush undergrowth + bedding cover.

Are you the only individual using the property? If your answer is yes... and you have not had success it is because you are hunting too much early - that ridge top set up tapering down heading West toward the river should be a dynamite rut funnel.

Can you show me how you are accessing the property... walking to your stand site and back out... Do you only have access from the North (toward town/river)?

The more info you provide the more we can try and help :D If it were me, the next huge rain storm I would go in and grab the camera (pull it)and stay out of that timber until you are ready to hunt. If you don't have a tree all picked out it is better to go in the day you plan to hunt (evening sit) early season and hang early afternoon and sit till dark.

Last ?, is there any other ag nearby (80 to N,S,E,W)? Any bean fields/alfalfa?

The hardest thing to learn about killing bigger bucks is staying away/out until it is time. You got to suprise them! By the pictures the deer looks like a real good 2 yr old... you might get a crack at him despite these early season photos..
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cavicity2

Unread postby cavicity2 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree that the site position is not ideal. The camera was pulled during a rainy day before I posted. I have steps from a couple years ago in a pine tree for my tree sling near the mineral site.

The river is north.

The gap is usually about 10-15 yards.

I have never sat the SE corner, but I have a treesling site set up for this year. I assume the wheat will be gone, but I really need to survey the other fields in the area, especially for soybeans during early season.

The yahoo that is cutting trees is on the property I hunt. He makes wood and gives half to the landowner. There are also idiots with ATVs in the area, so between the two of them and the houses across the field, the buck is no stranger to humans in the area.

I can access the property from north or south. My plan was to wait for a NW wind and get to my stand by walking the wheat field. The wheat should be gone and there is nothing attracting him that way, the oak trees are at the bottom of the ridge, near the corn field.

I've only hunted the property 4 to 5 times in the past couple years.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:47 am

I would definetly give that inside corner on the SE corner a shot (the wheat being gone would likely make it better, anything coming from the South or East cruising is likely going to pass thru the inside corner... especially during the rut...

Have you ever been to the West along the river bed? Looks like it could have some good bedding cover? The understory near the lick looks thick, is the whole ridge like that?

With others in the woods that is a tough situation... the cutting should improve the undergrowth/browse but the ATV and commotion will ruin daylight activity on the property - I have had good sections of woods such as this go totally sour with a new neighboring property owner/fellow hunter that starts cutting wood/putting up new stands/over hunting etc. The deer adapt very quickly and avoid commotion during daylight hrs... except during those few days magical days during the rut - then they will cruise thru at odd hrs of the day - personally I like 9AM-1PM

If it were me I would hunt it back to back early the way you have it set, then leave it alone until close to Nov 1st... then hunt either spot (your lick site or that inside corner) all day

If there are not a lot of bow hunters in the area... the property you have permission on is such a killer rut funnel - I think it would only be a matter of time to get a crack at that buck or another cruzn come Nov 1st (ish)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”