Spysar ???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: Spysar ???

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:08 pm

Great post for sure!

I love your way of live!

I would like to hunt some day with you... ;)

"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:04 am

Good post thanks for sharing, Spysar. 8-)
jlh42581
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jlh42581

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:47 am

very cool...

how often would you say you use the boat to access something off the beaten path? also, whats your source for finding other land thats not listed through DCNR?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am

jlh42581 wrote:very cool...

how often would you say you use the boat to access something off the beaten path? also, whats your source for finding other land thats not listed through DCNR?

I use the boat whenever I know of land that is either too far and hard to walk to, or the land I want to get to is landlocked by private land. It's a rare case to find public land without public access, but it does exist.

As for alternate sources....You have to reach out to people. Buy atlas's that list it out. Call the local DNR office, and ask what they have. Ask if there are any alternate area, or new areas that aren't listed yet. Chat with people on the WWW. Like this place right here, the Beast.

I have found huntable land on Army Corp of Engineers, indian reservations,paper companies, power companies, walk in areas (privately owned land with hunting easements, these can change yearly), and by asking permission.

Anyone want to add to the list of sources????

The cool thing is when you find newly listed land that isn't in print, or the word isn't out yet. When I hunted Ohio in 09 my friend turned me on to 7,000 acres of land that had just opened up the year before and not many people knew about it at first. Last year in SD two big parcels went to walk in late in the year. Too late to put in print. :D But I know some locals that told me about it right away. And it's happened several times. Heck, it's easy to find out what you need to find out these days with the internet and all...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:11 am

ttsbuck wrote:I bet that Spy is Timmys best friend lol.. Thats a nice buck to put one of your buddys on.

I think that buck is still Timmy's personal best.

I had my other buddy use a stand I put up. The sign was way too hot at the time, and I was tagged out, so I offered up the stand. One day in the stand produced this one. I think this was 07.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 am

Spysar wrote:
ttsbuck wrote:I bet that Spy is Timmys best friend lol.. Thats a nice buck to put one of your buddys on.

I think that buck is still Timmy's personal best.

I had my other buddy use a stand I put up. The sign was way too hot at the time, and I was tagged out, so I offered up the stand. One day in the stand produced this one. I think this was 07.

Spy I will sit your spots anytime :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:17 am

Spysar wrote:
jlh42581 wrote:very cool...

I use the boat whenever I know of land that is either too far and hard to walk to, or the land I want to get to is landlocked by private land. It's a rare case to find public land without public access, but it does exist.

As for alternate sources....You have to reach out to people. Buy atlas's that list it out. Call the local DNR office, and ask what they have. Ask if there are any alternate area, or new areas that aren't listed yet. Chat with people on the WWW. Like this place right here, the Beast.

I have found huntable land on Army Corp of Engineers, indian reservations,paper companies, power companies, walk in areas (privately owned land with hunting easements, these can change yearly), and by asking permission.

Anyone want to add to the list of sources????

The cool thing is when you find newly listed land that isn't in print, or the word isn't out yet. When I hunted Ohio in 09 my friend turned me on to 7,000 acres of land that had just opened up the year before and not many people knew about it at first. Last year in SD two big parcels went to walk in late in the year. Too late to put in print. :D But I know some locals that told me about it right away. And it's happened several times. Heck, it's easy to find out what you need to find out these days with the internet and all...

I have used real estate agents... especially in rural communities. They know lots of people/land and can usually offer some assistance if your approach is friendly, sometimes this is like talking to a landowner that wants nothing to do with you as well (u get ignored) :cry:

But persistence pays off in the end!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Cool post Spy, thanks for sharing your insight buddy. You da' man!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:33 pm

The sign was way too hot at the time

Spy, it sounds as if you don't really know some of these areas, and appears you don't need to know them. You mentioned sign that was too hot to not hunt it. Could you elaborate on what you typically do to locate stand sights(could you post an aerial and show what you look for and why) and what you find that is "hot sign". When you find that hot sign, you likely don't know where the deer are bedded, or do you? How do you know what wind will work for that hot sign you just found, or do you just sit it and see what happens?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:53 am

kenn1320 wrote:
The sign was way too hot at the time

Spy, it sounds as if you don't really know some of these areas, and appears you don't need to know them. You mentioned sign that was too hot to not hunt it. Could you elaborate on what you typically do to locate stand sights(could you post an aerial and show what you look for and why) and what you find that is "hot sign". When you find that hot sign, you likely don't know where the deer are bedded, or do you? How do you know what wind will work for that hot sign you just found, or do you just sit it and see what happens?

Some of the areas I know, some I don't, but hot sign is hot sign.

On my trip, I don't really hunt the buck bed method like is talked about here frequently. I believe that is Dan's tactic outside the rut time. Dan has developed a technique to kill bucks when they are not on the roaming, breeding cycle. Most seasons start way before, and end way after the rut. I'm sure Dan uses rut techniques in the rut....

My hunting out of state revolves around the breeding season.

I start out in oct and go into Nov. This makes it so I can be there for the rut to evolve. I usually cram my scouting in and hang tree stands first.

The sign I am talking about is regular stuff. When the sign is super hot, that just means there is more of it, and it's bigger, and in a more consentrated area. I'm talking about big scrapes, and scrape lines, big rubs and rub lines. Places where I can tell bucks have fought. Big bucks fighting can tear a place up. I have even found broken tines. For the sign to be hot, there has to be enough deer and good age structure where they have to compete to breed. If you live where there is one 4 pointer and 15 does, you won't ever see the kind of sign I'm talking about.

The first thing I want to figure out about the sign, is whether or not it's nocturnal or not. Lot's of people set up on nocturnal sign and it's a big waste of time. Using the sign, I'd next try and figure out the likely route of travel. Then you can figure out the best place to set up for the wind. You can tell what stage the rut is in by amount and freshness of sign. When actual breeding is going on, that will be a lull in fresh scrapes.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:08 am

You mention your positive attitude, but that pic of you with your "other buddy" where you are beyond smiling and obviously happy for him says a lot about you.

Good to see good things happen to good people. Also sounds like you work your tail off.

Oh, and one more thing, I had a theory that I haven't shot a lot of big bucks because I am a self-taught hunter, that no one has turned on to good spots. I have been in search of spots for over 20 years. Thanks for blowing that one up for me :)
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:25 am

Great info and VERY Inspiring - thanks for sharing!

Your welcome to try a cheap week(end) @ my camp in Western New Hampshire (Centrally located) on the borders of the Wht. Mtn. - great Bear Coutnry area also... Sept 15th is deer, Sept 1st is Bear...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:47 am

So when you get to an area do you tear the place apart and pre-hang stands? (or set blinds in that one case)

Also, when you are on to hot sign and you go in there and wade through all of it and scout doesn't that alert the deer? Or are you setting up on their entrance route to that area and get to them before they ever got to your scent?

This thread is awesome as are your methods! Thanks for posting all these tips and tricks spy keep knocking down the big ones!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:07 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Great info and VERY Inspiring - thanks for sharing!

Your welcome to try a cheap week(end) @ my camp in Western New Hampshire (Centrally located) on the borders of the Wht. Mtn. - great Bear Coutnry area also... Sept 15th is deer, Sept 1st is Bear...

My good friend since 2nd grade lives in Wakefield, and I'm there a few times a year. How far are you from there? Maybe we can have a cold one sometime?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:21 am

Backwoods, I wouldn't say I "tear the place up" when I'm scouting. With my style of out of state hunting being over a 20 hr drive from my home, I have to scout when I get there. I WISH I could year round scout....now that would be awesome...

Anyway, I either have to scout quickly, quietly, and as scent free as possible. If I've done my homework, this should consist of walking right to spots that are already "cyber" scouted. Or go somewhere I've already been and rely on last years knowledge.

I build on the spots I go every year, or have at least been there before. If I already know the area, I might take a chance and go right to a spot I know, and set up and hunt. You can't always rely on this as spots change every year.

In the midwest, in most of the areas I have hunted, there is usually a smaller percentage of woods, to open areas, or crops. Open areas might be cattle or CRP. So if you have a 500 acre piece, chances are good there will be say 200 or less in woods. I will look for how these peices of woods connect to one another and what crops are around them.

And yeah, I walk through my spots....I wish I had a "hover craft" to drop me out of the sky to the spot....One thing I do is STOP right there when I find the right spot. There is no need to see "over there" until the first spot fails. No need to stomp all around only to go back to the spot you first chose. I do like to limit the walking to one trip through. On the first trip through I will make mental or GPS notes on where I want to hunt, and how I want to access to hang the stand and hunt it. Obviously I don't want to walk a lot where I think the deer are walking, or bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”