Help me with these big woods buck beds please!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Help me with these big woods buck beds please!

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

hey guys, I found these buck beds in the spring on some public land I hike around during gun season. I want to get in their during bow season. I am worried they are not the beds of "mature" deer simply because of their location. Close to the road/logging trails. ATV's CAN access this area but I think in the early bow season it is pretty rare. The areas that appear to be open are a clear cut. When this aerial pic was taken it must have been freshly cut, its pretty thick and nasty in there now. The red dots are the beds I found. I think the beds in the center are my best bet for success simply because they should be the easiest to hunt. They are at the top of a slight hill looking down into the valley and out onto the logging road. If there are thermals in this little bit of elevation change they are using those but mainly are using the fact that they can see all danger on the trail below. Also, with the right wind they can smell anything on the logging road south of them but its thick enough that any predator would never see them. The yellow circle is a big oak flat and i ASSUME its where a lot of deer probably feed based on the sign but also based on the fact that the surrounding woods is all popple, pines or clearcut...I think with the right acorn crop and right timing this should be solid hunting. I am concerned the beds there are too close to the food and too close to the human access roads that they may not be mature deer....any thoughts?

Topo and aerial attached...

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Help me with these big woods buck beds please!

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Couple of things......don't know where this is but if by your Gramps place isn't that Oneida county? ATV's aren't allowed in oneida county on public land.

Next if the beds looked to be buck beds......they probably are. I am far from good at this but found a nice buck bed location less than 120 feet from a major parking area. :shock: Yeah no crap, walked by it many times myself untill I walked in there think what the h$ll and lo and behold rubs all over with a beutiful buck bed watching the parking area and the main human trail that walks away from it.

Soooo can bucks bed close to human activity, I guess yes, if the humans don't intrude right where the animal beds. I say go for it and hunt them.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:39 pm

I also wouldn't worry about the roads, I know of two bigwoods bedding locations that are both within 100 yards of trails/logging roads. Hard to say what age class of buck uses these beds without more scouting or time hunting them. The two bed nears roads I know of generally seem to hold more 2 and 3 year olds but I have had visual confirmation and found large tracks near the bedding areas so I know larger bucks use them from time to time. In the bigwoods it might just depend on what buck happens to be in the area at the time, the preferred food source, predators, hunting pressure, or a variety of other reasons. I think you have a solid plan to hunt when the acorns are dropping.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 am

Just because its against the rules doesn't mean ATVS aren't ridden on public land ;)

This is not Oneida County Land, it was papermill land I believe plum creek and then sold to a paving company who just want it for the gravel pit in the northwest corner of the map. I am actually related to the people that own it now. They don't care if people hunt on it, but if for some reason it were shut off to the public I could still get on it.

Anyhow, I went back and scouted and it was brutal...BRUTAL... the vegetation was so thick I just felt turned around. Not to mention the biting flies and ticks everywhere. However, I was able to locate the main trail these deer or this deer is using the the beds in the middle of the map. I have a dilemma though. The best stand trees and shot opportunities are right off the logging road. I am afraid the buck won't come out that far in daylight. If I go in any deeper there is a good chance I will spook him and its so thick it'd be hard to get a shot not to mention the trees drastically decrease in size it'd be hard to hang a stand. I drew up another map where they bed, the trail they come to the oaks on and where my stand would be. I would hunt that stand with a south wind, which would favor the deer, or I would switch to the other side of their trail on a wind out of the SW. Will these deer bed here on any other winds? They are on a slight ridge facing north where they are bedded.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 am

How far from the beds would you be? The smaller the trees and the thicker the cover are usually how these bucks survive, if you want to get them I think you have to get back in there and get as close as possible. Even if you are hunting out of a popsicle stick for a tree.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:46 am

Depends how close you are, and how much pressure the buck receives... I would have to see the beds to know if they only bed there on a south wind. If thats the case, I would be looking for a S.East wind.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm

The area I have the stand chosen has a few good multi stemmed oaks and maples and I could set up east or west of the trail with an east or west wind....

My question is this to Dan- when you sit in a deers bed and survey the area what is it that you look for and what is it that you can see that tells you which winds the buck beds here on?

I can tell you that even though the topo does not show it the hill this deer is on is pretty good change in elevation...not sure how much change is needed for thermals to take effect but he is 1/3 from the top as you have said in country with more hills. I am mainly curious what it is that helps you identify which winds are best for a deer to be bedded in this area?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:17 pm

If its a hill bed, as it sounds like it is. He should be bedded facing downhill wind at his back.
Hill country beds are usually wind specific. Its the non-hill country beds that sometimes are, and sometimes are not. A bed buried in thick stuff that is not near an edge is usually not wind specific. A bed on an edge generally faces the open area with wind blowing towards the opening alerting the buck to danger behind.
You should be able to look ast a bed and figure out why he is bedding there. He should be bedding there because its very safe. Think about what would make him vulnerable. If a certain wind would make it easy to sneak up on him he likely is not bedding there on that wind...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:39 am

dan wrote:If its a hill bed, as it sounds like it is. He should be bedded facing downhill wind at his back.
Hill country beds are usually wind specific. Its the non-hill country beds that sometimes are, and sometimes are not. A bed buried in thick stuff that is not near an edge is usually not wind specific. A bed on an edge generally faces the open area with wind blowing towards the opening alerting the buck to danger behind.
You should be able to look ast a bed and figure out why he is bedding there. He should be bedding there because its very safe. Think about what would make him vulnerable. If a certain wind would make it easy to sneak up on him he likely is not bedding there on that wind...

The bed to the north is also on a hill, not sure if I placed my mark in exactly the right spot but I could walk right to the bed in the dark if I had too. Its at the top of another small hill right on a small point that sticks out. That bed faces west and can watch the two logging roads that run east-west one road is south and one is north and a third logging road connects them north to south right in front of the bed. The bed I posted to the south is on the edge of a younger clear cut thats fairly thick. Its back in the brush a little ways but can see out into the cut. The bed faces southwest. I

I know we don't like to assume things but would it be safe to guess that because these beds are all within a half mile or so of each other based on wind this buck quite possibly changes bed based on the wind?

Good tips too Dan those help a lot. The bed furthest south was surprising to me but the beds in the center of the map and the one to the north were pretty obvious due to how safe they are for hiding.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:02 am

A buck could possibly bed anywhere he's comfortable. Here's one I filmed bedding near the road.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWuy0w6p85E[/bbvideo]
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 am

would it be safe to guess that because these beds are all within a half mile or so of each other based on wind this buck quite possibly changes bed based on the wind?

Yes... Bucks change beds on different wind directions if the bed is wind specific.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”