the perfect setup?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
76chevy
500 Club

the perfect setup?

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 am

One of the most helpful parts of the marsh and hill country videos to me was the topo and arial photo segments showing setup strategy

The one with andrae setting up (bump and dump tactics) on the buck bedding in the CRP field was particularly helpful for me to see how and why he setup where he did on that buck

Would anyone be willing to post some marked up arials or topos of successful setups along with a description of WHY (bedding, wind direction, thermals, hunter pressure, etc) you setup there ?

I know this would be helpful for me and likely some others on here.....

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
xpauliber
500 Club

Re: the perfect setup?

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:40 am

76chevy wrote:One of the most helpful parts of the marsh and hill country videos to me was the topo and arial photo segments showing setup strategy

The one with andrae setting up (bump and dump tactics) on the buck bedding in the CRP field was particularly helpful for me to see how and why he setup where he did on that buck

Would anyone be willing to post some marked up arials or topos of successful setups along with a description of WHY (bedding, wind direction, thermals, hunter pressure, etc) you setup there ?

I know this would be helpful for me and likely some others on here.....

I made a similar post in the "hunting dvd" section. After hearing about all the tactics and strategies, it helps me fully grasp the concept by seeing it successfully put in action. Great thread and I look forward to seeing the responses!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:21 am

Here is one I particularly like in hill country... look for a contour with stacked ^ looking topography... it indicates the top of a drainage ditch. The closer the stacking of the lines of demarcation the better. Now if something borders this marking at top(field edge, pond, narrow strip of timber on top, etc) you have a killer hill funnel + bedding points on top of the ridge near by this drainage ditch is also a bonus. I think Jarrod actually discusses this setup some in the hill country video.

Another great one in hill country is a saddle. Look for two points (()) space between (())... the larger the point tops are and the steeper the better... the area in between them is the saddle or low spot that deer will cruise back and forth on when going from one valley to the next as it is the easiest route from A to B (bedding to bedding). Walk around enough in spring scouting and you too will find these saddles the path of least resistance from one valley to the other...

I know these are more rut tactics... but I guarantee you that when Dan and others are traveling during Nov they are paying attention to similar topo structures - the deeper these structures are in public land the better in my experiences
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

I posted this a while back. I thought it would be neat if a bunch of beast members could make up one of these for a successful hunt. Each of us could learn a ton from them. Mabey put them all in a book.

I'm not sure how readable this will be but here is an example of what I was thinking.

76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:29 am

here is one of my favorite spots in farm country, it is basically flat so thermals are not an issue, cover is very thick.

It is essentially an island of trees in the middle of thousands of acres of open farm land

I setup in one of 2 stand locations based on where the buck is bedded here as determined by shining or trail cam images. Only hunt it with the predominant SW wind and enter differently for each setup as shown by the arrows.

any other setup ideas or feedback is appreciated!

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:53 am

Ok here is the setup I used to get my archery buck last year. Orange is the buck bed and most likely trails he uses when staging. I had a steady SW wind that day, normally I would have preferred a N or NW wind to hunt this area. Yellow is my entrance, this is really my only option because this area is surrounded on private last on 3 sides. I also had to commit a big beast sin and cross upwind of the bedding area. Rifle season was fast approaching, I consulted everyone hear and the consensus was to GO FOR IT! I got there plenty early and stayed about 400 to 500 yards away from his bedroom and moved fast when I crossed upwind. A back door entrance to the north wasn't possible because of the likelyhood of blowing out some does and messing up the whole area. The buck was staging on the island, I found lots of fresh track on the way in and some good rubs/scrapes on the island so it was now or never. About half hour before dark I saw a large tree next to his bed getting worked over, I gave him two grunts and he closed the distance fast and held up in the swamp for a while. With about 10 minutes of shooting light left he hit the high ground, wind was perfect and I had a nice 10 yard chip shot as he was quartering away.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:26 am

Cool looking setups.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:45 am

headgear,

that's awesome, had you walked right in from the parking area, he would have heard or saw you coming and busted out of there for sure, that's why it was a great bedding area for him

congrats!!

Keep them coming guys, very helpful to learn from!!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 am

headgear wrote:Ok here is the setup I used to get my archery buck last year. Orange is the buck bed and most likely trails he uses when staging. I had a steady SW wind that day, normally I would have preferred a N or NW wind to hunt this area. Yellow is my entrance, this is really my only option because this area is surrounded on private last on 3 sides. I also had to commit a big beast sin and cross upwind of the bedding area. Rifle season was fast approaching, I consulted everyone hear and the consensus was to GO FOR IT! I got there plenty early and stayed about 400 to 500 yards away from his bedroom and moved fast when I crossed upwind. A back door entrance to the north wasn't possible because of the likelyhood of blowing out some does and messing up the whole area. The buck was staging on the island, I found lots of fresh track on the way in and some good rubs/scrapes on the island so it was now or never. About half hour before dark I saw a large tree next to his bed getting worked over, I gave him two grunts and he closed the distance fast and held up in the swamp for a while. With about 10 minutes of shooting light left he hit the high ground, wind was perfect and I had a nice 10 yard chip shot as he was quartering away.

I must have missed this discussion last fall... sweet setup and kill. Way to go after it with time winding down... sometimes you just gotta go for it
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:30 pm

If cover is really thick you can set up much closer to the beds. Your stands almost look like observation stands. I would think you could set up really close once you know where they exit the thick wooded areas. And you could bump the NE bed early then hunt the other to try a bump and dump.

I would say an early morning set right over the bed with a sw wind would be killer. But I would do it on an 8 or 9 am moon phase.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:25 am

thanks for the feedback, I agree they are far from the bedding areas (300 yards or so)

will check out the area once more this summer then set up closer to the beds this fall for a couple hunts

GRUD wrote:76,

If cover is really thick you can set up much closer to the beds. Your stands almost look like observation stands. I would think you could set up really close once you know where they exit the thick wooded areas. And you could bump the NE bed early then hunt the other to try a bump and dump.

I would say an early morning set right over the bed with a sw wind would be killer. But I would do it on an 8 or 9 am moon phase.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:51 am

Headgear, thats why this is the best site on the net!! Congrats again, way to be a Beast ;)
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:32 am

This is one of the setups I had last year. I accessed my stand along the farmer’s easement road almost to the back field and cut back to the stand. I was there about an hour before daylight and hunted all day. At mid morning a few does came out of the overgrown field and fed in a cluster of red oaks until about 1:30pm. They would feed, then bed, feed then bed. The buck I killed came from across the easement road about 11am, out of range, circled around the oaks, looked at the does a bit, and went in the overgrown field to bed (white star). About a half hour before dark the buck came out of the overgrown field along the east side (white line) and stopped about 10 yards from my stand (red star), lookin at the does. I was 24’ up a cedar tree and I shot him. Steep shot with a bow. I'd really rather not talk about that :mrgreen: I was maybe 120 yards from his bed.

I talked about this on another post. These deer routinely feed during mid day. From mid morning to 1-2pm in the afternoon they’ll fee, then bed, feed, then bed. In the evening they will get up feed a bit then wonder off toward the crop fields getting there right at dark.

White oaks drop in October here. There aren’t many mature white oaks left thanks to the logging industry, but the red oaks drop in late October / early November. These red oaks were close to their primary bedding area and drop at just the right time…. when the bucks are interested in the does. This hunt was November 6th. The deer feed in the cover of the woods and go to the fields at night.

If I would have hunted the crop fields, as most people do here, I would have been lucky to see any of these deer, no chance on the buck. Knowing the bedding and feeding habits of the deer you’re hunting is paramount. But this was an easy hunt, it’s farm country. Maybe not totally Beast style but works for me. I hope you can read the map.

The buck I killed.....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”