The Modern Lazy Hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: The Modern Lazy Hunter

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I started my nephew bowhunting a few years ago, I remember the first time I called him to go, I asked him if he had hip boots or waders. He then asks me " Why the heck do I need them?" I kinda chuckled to myself knowing that He had only hunted with his dad during firearms season. They ride the 4 wheelers to their stands ,Back out for lunch etc.....Well after a good long walk back into Horicon...I could see he thought I was nuts. He was wet and muddy...I was laughing, not and enough for him to hear though. Kept telling me there was no way his dad would go through all that for a deer. he asked me what we were gonna do if we got 1? I just told him "That is when the fun begins!"
Well we did not get one, but he saw some up close that night. The walk out was much better for him.Kept telling me he could not wait to get back in there again. He even asked if he could gun hunt back there with me instead of with his dad. (I do not gun hunt there). He was so happy to have had them deer so close to him. I remember telling him that riding a wheeler to our stands would not be half as fun as the work we put in to get back in there. He still to this day calls me take him out there....Maybe I showed him that what you put in will reflect what you get out of it. We still laugh about when he got home....My sister could not believe how muddy that kid was....

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 pm

On one of the properties I hunt two of the best bedding area stand sites I sit around have old rotten stands by them. Whomever originally built those stands had a very good understanding of wind currents and bedding.

I also read a post about "youngens" not having good woodsmanship skills. I do not believe this is a matter of age whatsoever, I have met plenty of old timers that I could walk circles around in the deer woods. I think that with age I will gain more and more experiences, but my experiences of learning certain wind currents in certain areas, preffered food sources, and bedding will far outweigh the experiences of a man that choses to sit and wait over bait for 5, 10, 20 years........

I have also found discovered on this site in particular some of the younger BEAST members having just as much if not more success than their older BEAST counterparts, and none of them from what I know use ATV's or miracle potions, they all use hard work and dedication. Just because a hunter is young does not mean you should discount his knowledge or experiences, especially when there is proof in the pudding.

A while back I wrote a post about predatory instincts and its relation the hunters of yesteryear. I was walking through the Cabela's store in Richfield, WI where I work and they have these classic pictures of guys sitting in deer camps ect. with ALOT of nice bucks on the meat pole. The hunters look as if they havent showered in weeks, the fire is burning, ect..... These were a group of woodsmen that needed meat to feed their families. If they did not kill they did not eat, plain and simple. They used traditional predatory senses to hunt (playing wind, tracking, ect.) If today's hunters stop looking at the next decoy, scent or magic suit I garauntee they would find more success as I have when I cut through the B.S. and just worked harder and learned the right things instead of trying to take shortcuts.

I may be wrong but I think this is the very reason Dan has been so successful. He started out hunting deer in part (from what I understand) because he needed to provide for his family, then he decided to get more pursuant towards mature animals. The owner of this site is someone that learned like the hunters of the past.........
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm not sure if modern hunters are lazy or not. I believe that after many years of baiting in Wis. many hunters never learned to hunt. They just don't know any other way. If anything they are lazy from the standpoint that they won't carry the bait very far. :lol:
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, for me, "lazy" hunter are sometime just in a good shape are to old.
Well they some time do them best...but if the age are there...it's not a reason to stop hunting.
In other side, some other are simply too impatient. They don't think it's important to learn, they just think they know enough the game.
You can not oblige people to learn, if they think they get the "brews science" (I mean born with the knowledge, it's a French expression).
I did try in the past to explain some information to some hunters...know if they don't ask, I just stay silent.
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Some are lazy and look for short cuts....Some are just impatient and want instant gratification....Many have been handicapped by technology and missinformed....Many just lack the common sense to connect the dots and separate all the BS from reality. BIG $$$$ doesn't want you to learn how to hunt, its bad for business, LOL.

I could set here and tell you how to make super thin bi-faces using isolated platforms....Its very advanced stuff in todays knapping world. But in reality, its been around for 30-40 thousand years. Just 5-6 thousand years ago 1 out of every 5 people knew how to do this....Maybe 1 out of every 1,000,000 know how in this day and age.

Hunting is alot like all the lost arts....true woodsmen are few and far between now days.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:22 am

Very good explanation Ninja.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:33 am

but now ALL have access to this knowledge on the internet and places like youtube :mrgreen:

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kNorVxvDc&feature=relmfu[/bbvideo]
Autumn Ninja wrote:.........
I could set here and tell you how to make super thin bi-faces using isolated platforms....Its very advanced stuff in todays knapping world. But in reality, its been around for 30-40 thousand years. Just 5-6 thousand years ago 1 out of every 5 people knew how to do this....Maybe 1 out of every 1,000,000 know how in this day and age.

Hunting is alot like all the lost arts....true woodsmen are few and far between now days.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:40 am

76chevy wrote:but now ALL have access to this knowledge on the internet and places like youtube :mrgreen:

This is true, lots of info out there but how many people are actually learning from it? I know several people on here have claimed to show people their Marsh and Hill dvd's to friends and it goes in one ear and out the other. Some people just don't want to learn or change no matter what you show/teach them. You know what, that is ok with me, more mature bucks left for those willing to put in the work and never stop learning.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:24 am

76chevy wrote:but now ALL have access to this knowledge on the internet and places like youtube :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kNorVx ... ure=relmfu

And you can explain how, demonstrate, show every step from start to finsh....but when it comes to doing, the act of "application", very, very few will ever truly "get it". Why? IDK, some sort of mental blockade I suppose, LOL!!!

Its alot like deer hunting....everyone and there momma "KNOWS" how to kill mature bucks. But when the time comes to grab there bow, walk out on public ground and consistently kill one year after year..."application"...only a small hand full can get it done.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:43 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kNorVx ... ure=relmfu

And you can explain how, demonstrate, show every step from start to finsh....but when it comes to doing, the act of "application", very, very few will ever truly "get it". Why? IDK, some sort of mental blockade I suppose, LOL!!!

Its alot like deer hunting....everyone and there momma "KNOWS" how to kill mature bucks. But when the time comes to grab there bow, walk out on public ground and consistently kill one year after year..."application"...only a small hand full can get it done.

I can remember reading a fox trapping book many years ago where the author said he can take a group of 100 guys out and show them everything he knows about trapping but in the end maybe only 5 of the guys will become successful fox trappers.
I know from personal experience that if I didn't have the woods time put in that I have I wouldn't understand some of the things that Dan tries to teach. I think it takes a lot of hands on in anything to really understand. I can remember the first time trying to track deer after reading tons of stuff and watching DVD's. I though this will be easy. Just follow the track to the deer and shoot it. LOL. With enything there are things that can't be put in words or explained. Hands on experience is the best teacher. Successful people are successful in spite of and because of failure.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:02 am

Great observation! In Michigan I tend to see the same things. My take is that hunters many years ago put more effort into the "hunt" than the modern younger generation. As a society, we have become lazier and are alwys looking for the short-cut that makes it all easier. The popular TV shows make you believe that any old crop field edge is where the biggies are killed.....you just need the latest clothing, latest scents and a whiz-bang call and they will be all over your position! To be honest, I like the trend. It gives folks like you and I on the Hunting Beast more opportunities to go deeper and stay longer to kill the mature bucks!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:46 am

magicman54494 wrote:I know from personal experience that if I didn't have the woods time put in that I have I wouldn't understand some of the things that Dan tries to teach.

Great point magic, I have always said I wished I would have learned beast tactics when I was 10 or 15 years younger but had I not gained all that experience I might not have been able to see the light when I did find the right way to hunt mature bucks.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:14 am

I think young people are more open to learming too... As you get older you don't have as much drive and killing a big buck is not as important. You also get a little set in your ways and we all know its tough to teach an old dog a new trick...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm

dan wrote:I think young people are more open to learming too... As you get older you don't have as much drive and killing a big buck is not as important. You also get a little set in your ways and we all know its tough to teach an old dog a new trick...

I agree with that. Hunting the same properties year after year, I tend to get in a rut. It's a constant fight to take a fresh look each year. I can see where hunting public land would be easier to break that trend.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:27 am

Southern Man wrote:I agree with that. Hunting the same properties year after year, I tend to get in a rut. It's a constant fight to take a fresh look each year. I can see where hunting public land would be easier to break that trend.

Since this is the public land hunting forum...You can find the diversity of the whole USA right there in your home state. But you want find 30-40 deer per square mile or 3 1/2 year olds that reach 200 inches on public, LOL. You'll have to go to IL, WI, IA, ect...for that, but you can still hunt a wide variety of terrain.

Land Between the Lakes offers a big woods setting, spotted with fields and awesome topogrphy....Hunter density's are low to moderate. This piece of land could keep a person busy for the rest of there life and they still wouldn't know half of it. If a person cant put down a P&Y here every year, they would need to back up and take a serious look at how they hunt.

Ballard WMA offers a good mix of farm, narrow wood lots and sloughs (or marsh) LOL!!! I here guys talk about how easy the hunting is over there all the time. The deer have no where to go....Its like shooting fish in a barrol...Or like hunting 90% of IL or IA, just with much smaller deer.

Higginson-Henry WMA offers real good topography with some of the best farm land in the state. Its Bow only and has a 15" spread AR. It does receive moderate to heavy pressure at times. It also has some of the highest deer density (for public land) in the state. There are a dozen or more P&Y caliber bucks killed on this small piece of public every year.

Sloughs WMA is a whole lot like Ballerd....very easy to hunt and some of the biggest bucks taken off public ground each year come from here.

Peabody is the most divers....I love the strip pits, spoils and reclaims. The White City section has over a 1,000 acres of sloughs (or marsh) mixed in. The deer density is very low and hunter density is high during the gun season, but that just makes it that much more fun to hunt. P.S I've caught a 9 1/2 lbs bass out of that slough and my brother-in-law has caught two over 10 lbs. ;)

I can save you a little time, bucks have consistently been bedding on this island for over 20 years....and no one knows how to hunt it, LOL!!! I sent my cousin down there during the gun season 5 years ago, he shot an old 150" swamp buck pushing a doe out there to the island.

Enjoy the info my fellow Beast.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”