Help with google earth?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Help with google earth?

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 am

I've heard that you can use google earth with topo map overlays. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, how do you use the "birds eye view" function? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Help with google earth?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:39 am

Couple ways to do it, but this is the way I have been doing it recently..Now I havent done this in awhile, so I might miss a step or something, so just let me know if you get stuck somewhere..

1) Google "Google earth topo"..the top result will bring you to the google earth library page

2) Download the program

3) The program will show up in your "places" folder on the left..make sure its checked. You will see a grid of blue squares. When you find the place you would like, click on it, then click view map. You will probably get an error page saying the link is broken, but just give it a second, it will load.

4) It will take you back to the google earth image and you will see the topo there filling up the blue square. It will be in your temporary places folder, and then you can rename it whatever you want. It will then get saved in your places if you choose, and you can turn it on and off by checking the box...also, by sliding the slider bar between the the two menus on the left, you can control the transparency of it..

Here is another method you can use..

1: 5th button, "add image overlay"

2: Call it "show topo overlay" or something like that

3: select the "refresh" tab, and click the button "WMS Parameters"

4: select the WMS server "http://terraservice.net/ogccapabilities.ashx"

5: select the line in the box on the left side "[O] USGS Raster graphics (topo maps)(style=black grid lines on geographic coordinates)"

6: click the add button between the windows to add it to the overlay.

7: Click ok

8: on the "refresh" tab, have the view refresh after the camera stops, and I find 4 seconds a good time to use.

9: click ok to save the overlay

10: now, in your "places" windowpane, there wil be an entry for "show topo overlay". check or uncheck the box to turn on and off. you can also use the slider at the bottom of the "places" windowpane to adjust the transparency of the overlay.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:11 am

You can also check out mytopo.com, they are trying to sell you a map but if you go through the whole process and find your area, then select hybrid aerial/topo map and keep moving through they have a preview your map link, click on that and let it load and you will eventually get to a thumbnail of your map, click on that and they show you a very nice sized graphic of your map. Right click to save it and you are set.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:04 pm

http://www.gelib.com/usgs-topographic-maps-2.htm

Love these simple threads that make life THAT much easier. Saved alot of time here! Thanks Jake!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:48 pm

jack_4mn wrote:http://www.gelib.com/usgs-topographic-maps-2.htm

Love these simple threads that make life THAT much easier. Saved alot of time here! Thanks Jake!

No problem! And thanks for bumping this back to the top, since we have alot of new-comers who might not know this information and could benefit from it..
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:27 am

WOW was I missing out! thanks Cornfed :mrgreen:
When better is possible, good is never good enough
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:02 am

How in the he ll did you figure all that out cornfeed? Thanks for posting it though.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:49 am

muddy wrote:How in the he ll did you figure all that out cornfeed? Thanks for posting it though.

To be honest, I learned it from a seminar that Jerrod put on at the MN deer classic this year about scouting with aerials and topos..I was at the expo and bored (since it sucks), and figured I might as well check out what he has to say..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”