IN public land hunting??

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
wmahunter
500 Club

Re: IN public land hunting??

Unread postby wmahunter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:09 pm

GRUD wrote:Deerslayer,

I usually bring home a deer or two, last year three. If the moon phase is right I always see deer. When moon phase is bad its better to stay home. Two years ago I made two trips down but both had bad moon phase and I only shot one deer and didnt see much.

I have a blast down there because I have lots of spots scouted out and can hunt a fresh spot every hunt. I like to go early October because the deer have a sweet tooth for persimmon trees and I know of several small remote groves of them near bedding that always have deer come to them. It seems like they get up from their bed and go straight to the fruit. I killed a slob last year who did just that.

Also, turkeys are in season so I like to go out in the morning for turkey and in the evening for deer. Mid day I scout new areas.

Others I hunt with have a harder time down there because its so vast and they dont get down there to scout like I do. It gets easier once November hits, especially the November moon phase, since the bucks are crusing for does. 1st and 3rd weeks of Nov this year will be good. I've seen some monsters down there mid day crusing in Nov.

Deerslayer, You commented deer have a sweet tooth for persimmon. How do you know which tree they are eating from if there are persimmons all over the place. I found 8 pockets of persimmons last year and non of them were the preferred food source. I am wondering if a white oak or water oak would be preferred over a persimmon?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 pm

wmahunter,
That was actually GRUD addressing me. Hopefully he will see your question. What made you say the persimmons were not the preferred food source? Were they just leaving them lay on the ground?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:46 am

Yes, they were laying on the ground. That is what surprised me. I figured they would have been eaten up quickly. Plus there we many more in the trees ready to fall.

There was nothing wrong with them, I guess they had there fill of them. I was not sure.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:35 am

That's strange. You would think they would have found them and cleared them out. Maybe the trees in your area dropped them before they were fully ripe for some reason? American persimmon's should be very soft when ripe. Did you check to see if they were soft? Maybe some windy weather knocked them down before they were fully ripe. Raccoon's, squirrels, possums, skunks and many other critters should have been eating them. :?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:57 am

I know the raccoons were eating them, because I saw a big fat raccoon up in a tree stuffing his face as fast as he could with them one morning. He ran off once he realized he was spotted.

I tested them on another tree. They were ripe. I guess the deer did not find them.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:00 pm

wma,

My best persimmon spot has probably 30 trees and there are always persimmons on the ground. The whole area has a lot of persimmons scattered throughout but the key is finding them close to bedding. This particular grove is within about 100 yards of a good doe bedding area. I almost never fail to see deer in that grove no matter what time of season. There was still fruit on the ground in late December when I went back to scout a little. When there is a lone tree or very few trees I think they get eaten up quicker. I found a really good spot turkey hunting this past spring with a water hole near a bedding area with a few persimmon trees. I suspect I will have some action there this fall if I get there to hunt it. The other thing is that the trees don't always have fruit so sometimes I go into an area and find it dead. When spring scouting I look for seeds on the ground under the trees to know if there was fruit on the trees last season.

I found another really good large single tree near a buck bedding area which looked really promising but really hard to get to. The grove where I killed my buck last year was only about five trees and they had a fair amount of fruit on them. There was fruit on the ground too. This grove is about 100 yards from a buck bed and 200 yards from another. The buck I killed was staging at this small grove.

And yes, the racoons will eat them, the deer will eat them, and you will see the turkeys in there too they love em.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”