Hi-Point 45 caliber...for deer hunting????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
matson123

Hi-Point 45 caliber...for deer hunting????

Unread postby matson123 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Hello everyone! Looking for some realistic input from people I trust! I'm looking at picking up a 45 caliber form Hi-Point. I put about 200 rounds through my friend's with no issues and very good accuracy. The question I have, is this something that would be fair and good to use for deer? Yes, I have plenty of other guns I could use, but this would be how I would justify purchasing the Hi-Point. It is a very fun gun to shoot. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbine ... liber.html. I have a .44 Deerfield Ruger, and absolutely love it. I don't know enough about calibers, but I do know that bigger doesn't always mean better....

Thank you!

-Adam

muddy

Re: Hi-Point 45 caliber...for deer hunting????

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:32 am

You can kill a deer with a .22 long rifle if you can get the bullet thru both lungs, thru the heart, or thru the brain. Would your buddy let you borrow his 45 cal and you go shoot a deer with it?

Personally I don't much believe in fixing what ain't broke, if you're killing deer with that Ruger then that's what I'd stick with. I don't know a lot about calibers either, but I do know that I'd rather have a more powerful gun when dealing with the possibility of ribs/shoulder blades/bones/ etc.

Get the other gun for plinking as I do understand the need for new toys!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”