Most common mistakes...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Most common mistakes...

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I've made all of the mistakes listed and have beena eliminating them over the past few years.

As for the rut.....I love it, it is hard to beat a cold frosty morning in November in a tree stand. What I love about bed hunting early season is it puts me in the game for a good buck prior to the rut.

All the scouting I do for beds has also made me a much better rut hunter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Great answer.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:30 pm

by biggest mistakes (among many) include

over hunting a stand because its easy to access or I saw a deer from it

thinking I can be scent free

hunting over buck rubs/scrapes, not realizing its made at night- most times

lessons learned and eager for next season!
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:47 pm

By far the biggest mistake I see guys making and did so myself is over hunting stands. Most of the guys I know hunt 3-5 different spots the entire season. If they see a nice buck in one of the spots they will pound that area for days. Most pay no attention to entry and exit to their stands. 80 to 90 percent of the stands are rut funnels and cruising locations.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:48 am

Bump
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:59 am

Over hunting spots by far for me and never being in the game beacuse i was sitting on field edges and not knowing where bedding was. This will be my first full year of BEAST hunting. Ive watched all the bedding dvds so im hopeing to shoot a decent buck. I need to scout more annd set up some cameras so i know what im working with. My problem is i harvest from late September-mid November sometimes even into December. Late season is usally my best opportunity.
Ky mountain man

Unread postby Ky mountain man » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 am

Lord have mercy, lol.

instead of trying to get better I would come up with excuses on why their successful..

He’s lucky....I’m not.

He hunts private land...I don’t.

What wind?

What thermals?

To cheap to invest in hunting clothes, gun, junk scopes, etc....(I am up to par now though) the gun caused me a good buck imo, it jammed. It almost cost me a small 8 but I ended up getting it anyway. See what I mean? Why did I not do something about it the first time it happened? What a dummy. :oops:

Hunt the same place too much.

For years I have shot the first buck I saw and could not figure out why I cannot kill big deer. I have killed a very old wide buck once but it was luck. I have killed too many LITTLE bucks on the first or 2nd day.

I have been a bad deer hunter when it comes to kill mature bucks, it’s nobody fault but my own. The truth hurts.
2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV

If that other team thinks their gon get us in that shed and ambush us thar gona find out why i’m Barred from 3 states and 2 county fairs.

-Huckleberry :D
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:58 am

Thinking I need to be sitting in a tree as much as possible to be successful. Need to get better at scouting more than I hunt during the season. Have done it a little and my hunts have gotten significantly better when I do it.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm not going say it is most common now. But, after a while at age of 57 this year. Sometimes I can not fall out of bed some mornings. Here in south I'm convinced that morning hunting is best for most part. So that helps me get going a lot of mornings.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:04 am

Using ladder stands...... the main thing I learned from this forum is deer avoid it and people use it. Gonna ground n pound from now on.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
G-Patt

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:22 am

- The fear-of-somewhere-better syndrome that creeps in after sitting for 30 minutes and nothing happens.
- having a mentality of "I'm too far from the truck to drag anything out."
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:10 am

Not making a play on a killable buck, until it was to late.
My downfall was not being aggressive enough when I knew of a buck. I would always wait and try to get a pattern on them then they would disappear.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:59 am

Hunting year old sign. A spot that had good rut sign from the year before I find during winter scouting or I might of killed a buck there or had a good hunt in the past. Hiking in there 2 hours before daylight the next fall only to find out the area is dead and a wasted rut hunt. It’s usually human pressure related. Another I think some hunters are just to load. If I can hear them from 100-200 yds a deer with big ears certainly can.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”