Most common mistakes...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

Re: Most common mistakes...

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:42 am

I would have to say using rut tactics outside of the rut. I know I did it before following Dan.

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:52 am

using rut tactics all year....overhunting an area with a big buck because they don't know how to hunt it correctly.....hang stands near beds but not waiting for ideal conditions....not getting close enough to bedding....not using good enough equipment.....not scouting enough or at all.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:06 am

Not being prepared for the hunt...deadly with the bow,scent free as much as possible,scouting etc.

Not being able to read the sign correctly

Overhunting a stand

Knowing what your hunt is

Entrance and exits

Understanding what's going on around you
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:17 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Not meeting Dan about 10 years earlier :lol:

Ha ha me too, some of the young guys on this site don't know how good they have it! I stumbled around the woods for a decade (learned a lot on my own) but wow talk about a light speed jump forward when I found the beast. Saved me another decade of banging my head against a few trees trying to learn how to hunt these bucks.

It's also kind of funny (not!) to see all the mistakes everyone lists and know that I made every single one of those mistakes at one point or another.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:52 am

I agree with Headgear, all of the above! :lol:
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:06 am

Apparently everything, as I don’t even see a buck I would shoot, let alone one in range. I either need to find better property to hunt, or have my eyes checked. :cry:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:39 am

I think the biggest mistake I see by far is people over hunting a spot just because they saw or heard there is a nice buck in the area and in the process push every deer out.

Hunting spots in the wrong wind

Not paying attention to how they enter or exit a stand site

On heavily hunted public land people rely on calling way too much during the rut. One day I heard about 5 different guys grunt calling at the same time every few minutes and it was borderline ridiculous. :roll:

Number one mistake is not being prepared to make the shot due to lack of practice for any situation. You can do everything else correctly but when your time comes for the kill shot nothing else matters if you can't perform under pressure.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:43 am

Leaving your stand early or getting there late.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:17 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:By far the number one mistake is not using proper entry and exit routs. Next would be over hunting a spot. Followed by underestimating the sensitivity of a big bucks nose and value he puts on what it tells him. There are plenty of mistakes made, but those are probably the top three mistakes I see.

x2
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:By far the number one mistake is not using proper entry and exit routs. Next would be over hunting a spot. Followed by underestimating the sensitivity of a big bucks nose and value he puts on what it tells him. There are plenty of mistakes made, but those are probably the top three mistakes I see.

X2!!!

I would like to add that curiosity kills the cat...or doesn't kill the buck, lol. One of the most common mistakes I see...A lot of people feel the need to walk around before and after hunts...has that scrape been used, has that bed been used, are there any new rubs over there, any big tracks by the water whole today, did I miss something over there during my spring scouting, I need to walk over there and check it out, ect.?????
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Under estimating EVERY deers nose!

I bet there are far more deer that come in to your set and sense somethings not right, and sit back a good distance and watch before moving in. All the while sniffing, looking & hearing trying to figure out the disturbance... Only to turn around and disappear - never to be seen or heard by us hunters...

Example: One night I had a matriarch Doe with her two button bucks come into my set. Wind was in my face while I watched her for 40 minutes @ 17 yards trying to figure out what the heck was wrong and why she couldn't pinpoint a human. Finally I watched her head follow something and when I slowly turn to look, I found it was another hunter.

She then relaxed figuring that this was the disturbance SHE DID NOT LIKE and finally layed down in front of me while grooming the little ones...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Hunting with the wrong wind. Gun hunters around my area are good for this, hunting In the same exact stand year after year because they had success ONCE 15 years ago.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:56 am

Schultzy wrote:Hunting with the wrong wind. Gun hunters around my area are good for this, hunting In the same exact stand year after year because they had success ONCE 15 years ago.

This is how I was raised to hunt, go for one walk in the woods and pick a spot and hunt their regardless of wind for the rest of your life!!! Its both funny and sad at the same time. :lol: :( In 40 years of hunting my old man has scored on 2 nice bucks this way. I am trying to retrain him but everything I say keeps bouncing off his incredibly thick skull.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 am

headgear wrote:
Schultzy wrote:Hunting with the wrong wind. Gun hunters around my area are good for this, hunting In the same exact stand year after year because they had success ONCE 15 years ago.

This is how I was raised to hunt, go for one walk in the woods and pick a spot and hunt their regardless of wind for the rest of your life!!! Its both funny and sad at the same time. :lol: :( In 40 years of hunting my old man has scored on 2 nice bucks this way. I am trying to retrain him but everything I say keeps bouncing off his incredibly thick skull.

My old man is almost the same way......he will some times change spots, 40-60 yards away. :roll: He watches the wind....but same "spots" year in and year out.....come on.

He will tell me he has 5 spots set for bowhunting and I'll name them with less than 10 guesses. Same locations since I was in grade school.

He will ask for help from time to time hanging his stands, in August or earlier September mind you, I'll never say no but it's getting ridiculas what he considers a "hot spot" from year to year. All the public land by him to choose.......sad and funny like you said Headgear.

I just gave him the Marsh bucks and Hill Country DVD's for his birthday.....maybe he will pick some of the things to change. For all his time alone he deserves a nice buck, but we all know that alone won't cut it year in and year out. He shoots deer every year, mainly because of his pure stuborness on a location not because they are "great spots". He has never shot a 3.5 year old buck and I would really love for him to do so........
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:23 am

Old dogs and new tricks... ;)
My old man was not to good at hunting either. To him all deer were a hair bag full of meat. He used to get mad when I would pass deer. He changed with time. Dads are resistant to being taught by there kids. Its like admitting the kid knows more. The best way to teach is by example. When your killing bigger and more bucks Dad will pay attention...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”