How much pressure is too much pressure for marsh hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

How much pressure is too much pressure for marsh hunting?

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 am

Alright, so I watched Hunting Marsh Bucks a few days ago. Great video Dan! Anyway, I have a public area near my home that is about half marsh and half woods. After looking over arial photos, I decided to go check it out yesterday to see what I could find. I realize that this is not the best time of the year to do this, but it is an area I do not normally hunt and I figured I had nothing to lose.

Anyway, this marsh has clumps of extremely dense brush growing in it on the slightly higher spots, so I figured these would most likely be used for bedding areas. I decided to approach them from downwind very quietly, and attempt to actually jump bedded deer on purpose, for confirmation of the areas being used. The first clump of brush, I walked up to, a doe ran out. I took a few steps inside, and found her fawn there. Not wanting to stress the fawn any further, I left it alone, but noticed it was easy to see the beds of does in it.
The very next area I went to, I was astonished when I jumped a buck that had ALOT of antler growth for only mid-june! Because this was a learning experience, I went directly in this clump of willows, and found his bed. I took a picture of his track, and noted entrance and exit routes. I got in his bed, and looked out to see what he could see in order to plan where to setup. I then went to two other brush clumps and jumped nice bucks out of the two of them also, and repeated what the same procedure.

There are still a number of areas to check in this area, but here is the problem. I normally never hunt here because it really gets hunted hard. The area is like 1500 acres and on any given day during hunting season there will be 30 guys hunting in it (you have to sign a sheet before you hunt). On top of this, during November they do put-and-take pheasant hunting. Would you guys try hunting here? The late season is pretty much out, because even though there are a number of deer in the area right now, I drive past it alot in the winter and rarely ever see any tracks crossing the road. I always figured the pressure had the deer run out of there by this time of year, and that most of the deer relocated to the private ground surrounding it.
I know for a fact that most of the guys hunt the wooded part, which is about half of the acerage. Not too many of them mess with the Marsh part because there are hardly any trees out there. So I am hoping that I may have some decent hunting out there, even though the majority of it will have to be from the ground.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How much pressure is too much pressure for marsh hunting

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:35 am

but here is the problem. I normally never hunt here because it really gets hunted hard. The area is like 1500 acres and on any given day during hunting season there will be 30 guys hunting in it (you have to sign a sheet before you hunt). On top of this, during November they do put-and-take pheasant hunting. Would you guys try hunting here?

Sounds a lot like the areas I hunt... The bucks will be there in hunting season. Your going to find most hunters won't get there feet wet and will be sitting in the hardwoods and on the field edges wondering where the deer are... Sounds pretty good that you jumped a couple good bucks. 8-)
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:42 am

What you described sounds identical to the marsh buck video. Apply beast tactics and you will be doing what Charlie Sheen is doing: WINNING :-)

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:45 am

I wouldn't be concerned at all with the hunting pressure except for the challenge that presents to get to your sets undetected by the other hunters. So give that some thought. Also get in there now and make your sets and trim your lanes so that they grow in and won't be obvious to other hunters.

Nice work!!!
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to give it a go. I'll still hunt my other areas, but this will give me some additional options. I noticed one thing...it seems slightly easier to find bedding areas in the marsh than it does in traditional wooded type habitat. Especially when the wooded habitat is flat. The ideas in Hunting Marsh Bucks make a ton of sense. Plus it is a different style of hunting for me, which makes things exciting!
Dan your answer is exactly what I was interested in. I know you guys have more hunting pressure up there in Wisconsin than we have here in Illinois, but I was not sure as to the difference since I have never hunted any public areas up there.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:27 pm

I also wouldn't worry about the pressure, you almost have to look at the pressure as a good thing because it can concentrate the buck bedding in only those nasty areas only you are willing to go into and hunt. Now you know where the other hunters will be, you know where some beds are, and you have the holy grail of marsh hunting in your dvd. I think you are all set, and like you said this is a new area so what do you have to lose.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Early season I would set up near his bed and whack him!! ;) So many guys wait til the rut or when the woods open up and the bugs are gone. Get in there early before he knows he's being hunted ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:50 pm

I noticed one thing...it seems slightly easier to find bedding areas in the marsh than it does in traditional wooded type habitat. Especially when the wooded habitat is flat.

Once you know what to look for, Marshes are a lot easier!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 am

How far out and away from the timber were you? There's a reason those bucks were there, they're comfortable. I'll bet you're in business.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey Muddy, the public area I am talking about is 1 mile by 2 miles I believe. Maybe it is 3 miles long. In either case, the Marsh is in the interior. The traditional type of hardwoods kinda borders the marsh, but there is less of it on the south side. I'm in Illinois, so of course there are alot of fields pretty much surrounding the whole thing.
One thing I noticed is that there are TONS of visible treestands. This property allows you to leave stands in place. However, there are very very few trees in the marsh that could support a persons wieght for a treestand. I will have to ground hunt it most of the time. I figure the further away from a tree that is big enough for a stand I am...the better. The areas I jumped th bucks out of bedding areas were around a half mile in...which is pretty much the center of the property.
On thing I found very interesting from this mission was this. The biggest buck I jumped was in a very hard to get too area...and he was bedding in some of the densest cover around. I am sure, that no people have been back in this area in months. Add that to the fact that there has been no hunting pressure for months. Still this buck chose to bed in the best place possible.
It really hammered home to me that the bigger bucks are always thinking about security, no matter what time of year it is.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”