Why do turkeys gobble?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Why do turkeys gobble?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:23 am

I'm not much of a turkey expert but today while working I heard this turkey just gobbling like crazy. I wanted to know why. Does any one know what the motive for turkey gobbling is? Is it only done during the spring during mating or do they gobble in the fall when they are flocking up?

I tried to make "turkey noises" with my mouth and he would gobble back on occaision (this went on and off for a half hour or so) but never came where I could see him. I walked away from the truck and came back about 10 mins later and there was a tom with easily an 11" beard standing next to the drivers side door of my truck...I think he was trying to steal it :shock:

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Mountain Man
500 Club

Re: Why do turkeys gobble?

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I'm not much of a turkey expert but today while working I heard this turkey just gobbling like crazy. I wanted to know why. Does any one know what the motive for turkey gobbling is? Is it only done during the spring during mating or do they gobble in the fall when they are flocking up?

In spring the motive to gobble is to attract hens but it is also about establishing/confirming dominance.

They will gobble and strut at all times of the year but less so than in spring (I hear and see this occasionally in the fall while bow hunting deer) but again the gobbling and strutting is mostly related to dominance and the pecking order among toms. They will also gobble on the roost and on the ground at all times of the year but a lot less so than during the spring mating season.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:47 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I tried to make "turkey noises" with my mouth and he would gobble back on occaision (this went on and off for a half hour or so) but never came where I could see him. I walked away from the truck and came back about 10 mins later and there was a tom with easily an 11" beard standing next to the drivers side door of my truck...I think he was trying to steal it :shock:

I'm going to make turkey noises with my mouth the next time I leave the bar at 2:00am......maybe one of those toms will come up to my truck and drive me home. :lol:
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:00 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:...I walked away from the truck and came back about 10 mins later and there was a tom with easily an 11" beard standing next to the drivers side door of my truck...I think he was trying to steal it :shock:

Isnt it amazing how they can pinpoint almost EXACTLY where that call came from??
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:I tried to make "turkey noises" with my mouth and he would gobble back on occaision (this went on and off for a half hour or so) but never came where I could see him. I walked away from the truck and came back about 10 mins later and there was a tom with easily an 11" beard standing next to the drivers side door of my truck...I think he was trying to steal it :shock:

I'm going to make turkey noises with my mouth the next time I leave the bar at 2:00am......maybe one of those toms will come up to my truck and drive me home. :lol:

Hey man I work alone and get bored "turkey noises" helped pass the time this morning...but seriously he looked ready to drive and sober enough to me
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Just funin' with ya backwoods. ;)

I know a turkey driving would have been better than some of the ways I got back years past......the turkey would be better looking too.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:44 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:...but seriously he looked ready to drive and sober enough to me

Famous last words :mrgreen:
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:14 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:...but seriously he looked ready to drive and sober enough to me

Famous last words :mrgreen:

we played rock paper scissors to see who was "more sober" ....

the tom was back today and brought with him another tom and a hen they strutted and gobbled within 20yards of me while I was working it was pretty neat. The building I was at was built intoa hill so the windows are flush with the surface of the ground and they have big window wells. The turkeys kept walking into the window wells and gobbling at the glass and the people inside the office....pretty cool stuff I think I'm bringing the video cam tomorrow
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I'm not much of a turkey expert but today while working I heard this turkey just gobbling like crazy. I wanted to know why. :shock:

Because it dont know how to bark!! :lol:
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 pm

We used to raise turkeys, and they will also shock gobble. You could slam the door on the car and they would go off. It never got old making them gobble like that, but dad grew tired of it quickly. :shock:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:14 am

It depends on what time of spring it was! if it was late spring, the gobbler probly was seeking for a hen to breed. The gobblers will be with hens for a short time in the morning until hens sit on thier nest. the gobbler will leave her to seek other breeders. Also turkeys seem to gobble at anthing loud and sharp! hawks scream,crows caws,gunshots, thunder, tran whistles even semi horns!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”