Mental blockade...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Mental blockade...

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:07 pm

GRFox wrote:Im not sure if my problem is a mental blockade or not but here it goes......

Since I first watched Hill Country I wads sold on the tactic of finding buck bedding, setting up on him and killing him. I am on this forum all the time just reading and trying to soak up all the info I can and I do believe I have it figured out and will often even share the tactics and give advice to others. The only problem is I can't apply the tactics for 1 reason. I cant find the beds.

I have posted threads about this problem before and got good responses. But I spend A LOT Of time in the woods scouting and shed hunting on some of the best properties in my area. Areas that we knows hold big bucks but I can't. find the beds. With ally of the time I spend in the woodspost season I only found one bed that I am certain a big buck is using and can set up on. Only one. I feel like if I could get better at finding them than I could apply the tactics and do much better. There must be a mental block that is preventing me from seeing the obvious....im just not sure what it is lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I know this is an old thread but this post is exactly where I am. It's like one of those jumbled up pictures and when your eyes cross you see the picture. I'm waiting for my eyes to cross. Being a visual person I feel like if I could see what I'm looking for in a real environment to compare and contrast I would be off and running. I'll keep grinding until the light bulb goes off and I have my ahh ha moment because hunting based off bedding works.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:14 pm

One thing i see with some hunters in my circle is if they don't see deer for a couple days they get discouraged and almost want to give up. I had a sucessful hunter tell me years ago that you only need to see and shoot one deer and your season can be turned around in a heartbeat. This has stuck with me probably why i have more bone on the wall than anyone in my family. Not many guys on this site probably struggle with this. Why i like being here. Im not close to some of the hunters on this site in skill i just want to learn ,get better ,and have fun along the way .
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:42 am

Hawthorne wrote:One thing i see with some hunters in my circle is if they don't see deer for a couple days they get discouraged and almost want to give up. I had a sucessful hunter tell me years ago that you only need to see and shoot one deer and your season can be turned around in a heartbeat. This has stuck with me probably why i have more bone on the wall than anyone in my family. Not many guys on this site probably struggle with this. Why i like being here. Im not close to some of the hunters on this site in skill i just want to learn ,get better ,and have fun along the way .

I try to follow that perspective. I had a wrestling coach that always said 10 seconds is a lifetime, you could be down 14 points and as long as you had 10 seconds you could still throw the guy and pin him. I think about that more than anything when the hunting is slow, my first ever mature buck I sat from 6-6 and the only living creatures I saw where the buck I shot chasing a doe, and that short window of time completely changed my perspective on that particular day

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:39 am

Right on. I think having a big ego when people think they know everything ab killn big deer is the biggest learning killer there is. In my mind the learning never stops. Deer hunting is different in almost every part of the country. What works for one part may not work in other parts. We've got the bigger brains, but the deer have an instinct that we as hunters will never know. So the learning should never stop.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:12 am

bowkill00 wrote:Right on. I think having a big ego when people think they know everything ab killn big deer is the biggest learning killer there is. In my mind the learning never stops. Deer hunting is different in almost every part of the country. What works for one part may not work in other parts. We've got the bigger brains, but the deer have an instinct that we as hunters will never know. So the learning should never stop.

100% agree. Few yeas back I was trying to figure out how to put the fun back into deer hunting. Looking at ways I could improve. Had a guy tell me that very thing. There is not a lot more to learn about deer hunting.

Big egos ruin it for me period. And the hunting world are full of them.

JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:04 am

Darion wrote:This is a good topic, I am being pretty honest when I say that I am my own worst enemy. This is my first year hunting public land and I was intimadated to say the least, it took me a month just to get to the woods. I told myself that there would be to many people, to many options, blah blah. Then on my first set I had a nice 8 point shooter come in at 10 yards and gave me a perfect broadside shot, why didnt I get him- easy I didn't expect to even see a shooter. As firearms season began I quit seeing deer, after seeing deer everytime I was out during bow, so in my mind I told myself 'hey the deer must have packed up and left'. So with that in my mind I was not as commited to sitting until dark and I would get down and 'scout', granted I have found some buck bedding areas , but i lost some faith in myself to resist the temptation to take the easy way out. If I don't see something it is hard for me to sit and believe it will show up.

I am going to go out on a limb and maybe even sound weird but hunting is more than just killing an animal , I absolutely need the time in the woods. In the woods I am able to see myself , my strenths and weaknesses. I have always been a good student in life and could learn well, my problem was execution, because I never believed I could. It is the same now hunting public land. I learned some skills, found beds,signs, etc. , but i don't believe I can do it yet, so I give up before the hunt ever begins.

What one man can do...another man can do! You have to belive that! Tell yourself that everyday! I did it time and time again as an athlete...he can bench press that? Then I WILL bench press that! I havnt done it beast hunting (never really truely beast hunted) but there is so much info on here and so many people willing to help a guy out...YOU CAN DO IT BEACUSE WHAT ONE MAN CAN DO...ANOTHER CAN DO!!! (That and a burning desire in your heart ;) )

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”