Mental blockade...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Buckfever
500 Club

Re: Mental blockade...

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:36 am

I think from the mental side belief is the most important thing. I know guys that I really think are better than me, in a lot of facets of bow hunting, but just have have something holding them back. Like as an example maybe they just don't believe they can do it consistently on public land for instance. Then what happens is it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, because they never go after it and never climb that learning curve. I might not be that good a hunter, but I absolutely believe that I'll get there, so I go down that path and even though, I might not bring the best ability to the game, I get there because of that belief.

I think the other thing, is fascination with the mature buck predatory response. There's just tons of guys that want to get one, there's just not that many who are trully driven by the fascination to become the ultimate predators in the pursuit of the mature buck, using archey tackle. That mindset, that profund integration into nature, well the absence of that is a huge mental blockade.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:03 am

Im not sure if my problem is a mental blockade or not but here it goes......

Since I first watched Hill Country I wads sold on the tactic of finding buck bedding, setting up on him and killing him. I am on this forum all the time just reading and trying to soak up all the info I can and I do believe I have it figured out and will often even share the tactics and give advice to others. The only problem is I can't apply the tactics for 1 reason. I cant find the beds.

I have posted threads about this problem before and got good responses. But I spend A LOT Of time in the woods scouting and shed hunting on some of the best properties in my area. Areas that we knows hold big bucks but I can't. find the beds. With ally of the time I spend in the woodspost season I only found one bed that I am certain a big buck is using and can set up on. Only one. I feel like if I could get better at finding them than I could apply the tactics and do much better. There must be a mental block that is preventing me from seeing the obvious....im just not sure what it is lol.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:43 am

As stated killing does will help with the picking your shot and drawing the bow and that may help you with some of your buck fever. Another good thing to do for practice if you get buck fever...set your bow on the ground and run around your house come back and pick up your bow and shoot. Your heart rate will be up and breathing heavy. Take that time at full draw to see how your bow and you react and shoot. After a while you will get second nature at shooting in a buck fever situation and gain confidence.
Side affect you will get in better shape. ;)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:59 am

dan wrote: One problem I see a lot with guys who have become "good" mature buck hunters getting to "think" they are great. And well, maybe they are great... But, they start to think they are the only ones that know how to kill big bucks because they are the best in there circle of friends.
What happens is they become close minded to learning new ideas, or tactics that work on other properties...

THis is one thing i am worried about with myself latley because I use to have question after question pumping through my brain and i used to post a lot asking them. Now I feel content and ready to hunt with the knowlege i have although i know there is tons more questions I should be asking! Possiblly this is all because I have been working two jobs and i dont have much time to think or scout. I guess we will see when hunting starts 8-)
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:34 am

PredatorTC wrote:
dan wrote: One problem I see a lot with guys who have become "good" mature buck hunters getting to "think" they are great. And well, maybe they are great... But, they start to think they are the only ones that know how to kill big bucks because they are the best in there circle of friends.
What happens is they become close minded to learning new ideas, or tactics that work on other properties...

THis is one thing i am worried about with myself latley because I use to have question after question pumping through my brain and i used to post a lot asking them. Now I feel content and ready to hunt with the knowlege i have.....

Keep that thought in your head and you'll be fine. It's when you start to think you know it all, your in for trouble. Developing confidence and/ or finding a system that works for you is one thing. Developiing a superior attitude is another. People kill big bucks for alot of different reasons and more often than not, it's not because of greatness regardless of what they themselves think. I've seen your posts, and your results, you're a good hunter, keep after it.

A man told me once (talking about running a buisness) that no matter what you do, you have to be agressive. There may come a time when your buisness levels out but you still have to go after it. You always have to try for more, or to get better. If you get comfortable (or satisfied) with what you're doing, you'll regress. I've found that that applies to just about everything.

There is a fellow I know that really brought that home to me. In February a couple years ago, he laid out his plan, showed his set up, and told the days he was going to do it. And he did it. Killed a very nice buck. I was impressed. Was it luck? Maybe some, frankly I think he makes his own luck. Is he a greeat hunter? Yea I think so. This particular instance wasn't his first time. But he would tell you he's not. Says he's still learning. I tell this because his confidence level and his attention to detail is second to none. He knows what he needs to do and puts in the effort to make it happen.

Dan is the same way. He knows what he has to do and has the confidence to get the job done. He's a wealth of information and not afraid to tell the rest of us how to do it.

Don't doubt you confidence and never be afraid to learn a bit more.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 am

Southern Man wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:

THis is one thing i am worried about with myself latley because I use to have question after question pumping through my brain and i used to post a lot asking them. Now I feel content and ready to hunt with the knowlege i have.....

Keep that thought in your head and you'll be fine. It's when you start to think you know it all, your in for trouble. Developing confidence and/ or finding a system that works for you is one thing. Developiing a superior attitude is another. People kill big bucks for alot of different reasons and more often than not, it's not because of greatness regardless of what they themselves think. I've seen your posts, and your results, you're a good hunter, keep after it.

A man told me once (talking about running a buisness) that no matter what you do, you have to be agressive. There may come a time when your buisness levels out but you still have to go after it. You always have to try for more, or to get better. If you get comfortable (or satisfied) with what you're doing, you'll regress. I've found that that applies to just about everything.

There is a fellow I know that really brought that home to me. In February a couple years ago, he laid out his plan, showed his set up, and told the days he was going to do it. And he did it. Killed a very nice buck. I was impressed. Was it luck? Maybe some, frankly I think he makes his own luck. Is he a greeat hunter? Yea I think so. This particular instance wasn't his first time. But he would tell you he's not. Says he's still learning. I tell this because his confidence level and his attention to detail is second to none. He knows what he needs to do and puts in the effort to make it happen.

Dan is the same way. He knows what he has to do and has the confidence to get the job done. He's a wealth of information and not afraid to tell the rest of us how to do it.

Don't doubt you confidence and never be afraid to learn a bit more.

Well said Southern Man. 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:33 am

im always up for new strategies and techniques it dosent matter how big of a head i got! im always up for getting schooled on mature whitetails

If you other beasts havent seen serial killer dans movies, i suggest you go and spend the ten dollars and learn, its well worth the money!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 am

Ill be the first to add to this since its been awhile. MY goal for this year is to kill a 130"+ deer on PUBLIC land. In central OH public land is like walking through the zoo, everyone and their brother has visited most areas. Sure there are better non pressured areas in OH but I feel like if I can locate, execute and kill a mature deer on public I will have accomplished something. By NO means am I a great hunter, best deer to date is 152" on private land. I just think it would be cool to locate a mature deer on public and learn to hunt around others to benefit myself, rather than having exclusive permission and access. Im forcing myself to be a sponge and learn as much about these properties like it was my first day hunting all over again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:11 am

RUTIN wrote:Ill be the first to add to this since its been awhile. MY goal for this year is to kill a 130"+ deer on PUBLIC land. In central OH public land is like walking through the zoo, everyone and their brother has visited most areas. Sure there are better non pressured areas in OH but I feel like if I can locate, execute and kill a mature deer on public I will have accomplished something. By NO means am I a great hunter, best deer to date is 152" on private land. I just think it would be cool to locate a mature deer on public and learn to hunt around others to benefit myself, rather than having exclusive permission and access. Im forcing myself to be a sponge and learn as much about these properties like it was my first day hunting all over again.

Awesome goal! No better way to learn than to dive into public and figure it out. 8-)
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 am

Great post RUTIN! I couldn't agree more with you because that is a close goal of mine for this upcoming season. Before I knew what the beast was, my hunting styles were horrible! I am on a learning curve and only just beginning to figure out bits and pieces of public land hunting. Its tough to "restart" from hunting private all my life, and now tackling some public land. Trying to replace knowledge in my head can be very frustrating but the main reason I hunt whitetails is to accomplish my goals and the only way I succeed is by completing them! And I feel that will help me become a better mature whitetail hunter... Reminds me of something my father has told me for years "you will only get out of it - what you put into it". I live by those words and it carries a weight of mental support.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 am

A big one for me is getting out of or at least considering other ideas than just funnels. Over the years I have spent a ton of time hunting funnels. Sometimes it works. But mostly only during the rut. But whenever it did not work, I would chalk it up to either low deer numbers, not enough time spent in each funnel, etc. I am only interested in the bed hunting concept because it makes perfect sense. I've thought about it plenty before I found this site. Just never gave it a real shot other than occasionaly hunting a specific bed. You know how it is. You read the magazines (I love to read about hunting) and they all tell you to stay away from the bedding areas. Dans method of bed hunting is obviously very effective even on public land, but I am finding that it is going to take some time to really learn how to do it well. One thing I am having trouble with is finding beds, but then not knowing for certain where I need to setup near the bed. I often can't tell which direction the buck is most likely to go when he gets up from his bed. But I will continue to try Dans methods until I have a good grasp on it. It seems silly that even though I have been hunting deer exclusively with a bow for 20 years or so, that it would take so much time and effort to hunt in a different fashion. But it does.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 am

Wanting to hunt 'Deery' areas was a constant struggle for me. Sitting in a crooked sapling, 8' off the ground, looking at sticks in the mud for several hours or days is tough when you know you could at least be getting entertained by does and young bucks under the oaks or in the crops...

But after a few successful sets of watching that buck materialize really seals the deal on your confidence in those 'big buck' type setups.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 am

Something that has been a problem repeatedly for me is getting fixated on one deer or small area where I think a deer should be that in hindsight was low odds. Most of the time I seek efficiency but sometimes I get stuck trying something again and again because it should work but isn't. Almost all of the mature bucks I've shot with a bow came on the 1st or 2nd setups in an area that season but I still catch myself thinking about hunting a location just too much sometimes
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:35 am

Good topic. I agree on the getting kills under the belt helps in the long run, but to what level depends on the person and their capabilities.

Moog is a member on here and last year was his first year hunting, having never hunted in his 20s/30s. I helped him track his first deer, and within a period of less than one year, his growth as a hunter is nothing short of impressive. He's certainly not a majority of hunters, but I suspect he'll be ready to tag a mature buck this fall. I have seen other hunters struggle at making a jump regardless of age or experience. Some have no desire to, and really, that is OK. Others, want to, but can't see the forest for the trees. One such acquaintance has gone far into the TV component and gotten into QDMA/plotting, etc. Has some great knowledge, but hasn't developed his hunting techniques beyond relying on the plots and funnels. I've suggested beast style but it goes by the wayside and I think he misses out on opportunities because of it.

Thankfully, moog keeps me on my toes. Been a tough off-season for me at home, but his questions, comments, scouting, etc. make my mind fresh.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”