Moon charts for 2011 ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dreaming bucks

Moon charts for 2011 ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:50 am

Dan...
Last year you posted the best possible morning and evening sits according to the moon phases, any chance you can do that again this year ? Or does anybody else have an easy way to figure it out for this year ?

Beason
500 Club

Re: Moon charts for 2011 ?

Unread postby Beason » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:26 am

If you use the "ScoutLookweather.com" link above, it basically outlines it for you. Or google "moon peaking underfoot and overfoot times" and that will tell you the times to hunt beds in your time zone according to Jeff Murray.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:55 am

yes, that would work, but I also went back in the archives on the Beast and found another link Jonesy posted last year...... this would appear to work also......

You could always go to this website and get the same data for free. The moon transit is when the moon is directly overhead from the location and the moon will be directly underfoot approximately 12 hours and 25 mins after the moon transit. Your best chance or best "moontimes" are when the moon is overhead or underfoot within 1 hour of the sunrise or sunset of your location. (That is what Jeff said in his book ;) ) Plus, when you use the website you don't have to add minutes up like when you use the moon chart. The data is specific to the zip code you enter. Good Luck!

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomi ... one-day-us
Last edited by Carol on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cleaned up the link
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 am

Has anyone had any luck using moon times? I don't hunt the moon but I keep it in mind.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 am

jack_4mn wrote:Has anyone had any luck using moon times? I don't hunt the moon but I keep it in mind.

The buck I shot last year was working a tree over next to his bedding area about 45 minutes before dark just as the moon was overhead. Needless to say I am a firm believer in this moon stuff. I also started paying attention to daylight mature buck date/time stamped game camera photos I would stumble across on different websites and was pretty shocked to see a pretty high percentage of them lining up with the moon days that Dan posted last year.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:24 am

Dreaming bucks that link didn't work but I think I found the right one.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomi ... one-day-us

Edit: I just updated the link, I found the one with the city and state so you dont' have to plug in all those numbers.
Last edited by headgear on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:33 am

headgear wrote:Dreaming bucks that link didn't work but I think I found the right one.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomi ... %20transit

Yep, that's the one headgear, not sure how I got that link wrong...... oh well, you got it....

I noticed I had several trail cam pics last year that worked with the moon times too...... I had a few pics of a nice 2 year old that showed his face at 1:00pm in the afternoon right when the moon was directly overhead.... I believe in it also, and hope to plan some morning hunts around it this year, hoping to get a nice buck coming back to his bed late. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”